Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-13-2009, 05:00 PM   #1
Barry8416
Barry8416 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 700
Is There A Way To Archive Books Downloaded

Hi Friends:

Enjoying my Sony 700 that I recently purchased. Have downloaded quite a few books. Have been wondering is there a way to remove books from my reader and keep on the computer in case I want to re-read them at a future date.

Silly point I know but just wondering what others here do.
Thanks, Barry
Barry8416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 03:17 PM   #2
komugi
Zealot
komugi has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.komugi has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.komugi has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Surface Pro 3, HTC 10, Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry8416 View Post
Hi Friends:

Enjoying my Sony 700 that I recently purchased. Have downloaded quite a few books. Have been wondering is there a way to remove books from my reader and keep on the computer in case I want to re-read them at a future date.

Thanks, Barry
If you bought them through the Sony bookstore, and if you're on Windows, all the books should be downloaded to My Documents\My Books\
komugi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-14-2009, 03:29 PM   #3
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Barry:

I keep all the books that I have downloaded on my hard drive. I organize the folders by the source, so I have a folder for MobileRead, one for Feedbooks, one for the Sony Store, one for Baen, one for Fictionwise, etc. I rarely use the Sony software to move books to my reader, preferring to just move them using the Windows explorer or copy/paste from one drive/directory to another.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 04:49 PM   #4
Treven
Addict
Treven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enough

Device: iPad
Definately very easy to simply cut & paste, or copy & paste from one "drive" to another; just like you would with any file folders you have on your computer..
Treven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 05:15 PM   #5
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Typically the books that you have bought from the Sony Store will be on your computer already. Look in my computer/c drive/ documents and settings/ your computer name/my documents/ my books/Ebook library/

I also have a lot of books made using Book Designer. It stores them in My computer/c drive/ program files/ Book Designer 4/Sony Reader/

I add books from my reader by opening the Ebook library software, connecting the reader via usb, and dragging and dropping from the Ebook library to the reader. I delete tem by opening the ebook library software, connecting the reader via usb and clicking on the device in the toolbar and deleting the book. If i haven't got a copy elsewhere then I drag and drop it into the library.

Basically, call up the book in the Ebook library and look at the file path.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-14-2009, 05:18 PM   #6
Jack Tingle
Punctuation Fetishist
Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Nexus 7 (2013), Galaxy S5 phone, Galaxy Tab 4 8.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry8416 View Post
Hi Friends:

Thanks, Barry
After a while, I burn them to CD-R. That's about as archival as you can get.

Regards,
Jack Tingle
Jack Tingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 05:20 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Since you need to hook your 700 to your computer to copy the books to your 700, they are someplace on your computer. Once you find them, just burn them to CD or DVD.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 11:06 AM   #8
artemisblossom
Groupie
artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony prs505
this may be a dumb question but if you burn them to cd could they then be loaded onto a different reader and work? What I am thinking of is say I burn all my books onto a cd and 2 years down the road I have changed readers could I still get these books to work (supposing I bought them from someplace like the sony store to begin with) Wouldn't the DRM make them useless?
artemisblossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 02:23 PM   #9
Treven
Addict
Treven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enough

Device: iPad
I don't think this is going to be any different than what I did when I switched from my 595 to my 700. I had all my files (books) on a memory chip, but before I could read them I had to authorize my new reader with the Sony book store.
Treven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 04:47 PM   #10
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemisblossom View Post
this may be a dumb question but if you burn them to cd could they then be loaded onto a different reader and work? What I am thinking of is say I burn all my books onto a cd and 2 years down the road I have changed readers could I still get these books to work (supposing I bought them from someplace like the sony store to begin with) Wouldn't the DRM make them useless?
DRM-free books will be readable on any device that supports the format. Most (though not all) formats can be shifted. For example, you can shift .LIT files to Mobipocket, ePub, eBookwise .IMP, or even Sony .LRF. You can shift Mobipocket and ePub. I don't know if it's possible to shift .IMP files, and the .LRF ones are problematic.

DRM can be removed from most formats -- .LRX being the best known exception -- if you are persistent enough to search for the routines that will unlock the books.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 01:41 PM   #11
PennyPie
Cocoa & Toast...mmmmmm...
PennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-700, iPhone
I have loads of ebooks I've downloaded (free ones) & have burned them to CD's for storage, & extra copies to share with friends. Since I got my Sony in May, 2 of my friends have gotten devices & have appreciated my contributions.
PennyPie is offline   Reply With Quote