Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 06-24-2015, 03:53 PM   #1
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Add custom columns to Calibre catalog

I apologize if it's been answered elsewhere, I searched, but could find no definite answer. Is it possible to add multiple custom columns to epub or mobi catalog? Yes, you can replace Genre with a custom column, but what of multiple columns? You can also add prefixes and merge custom data with comments (and I'm very grateful for these options), but they are not sortable. I tried to make a composite column and replace Genre with that, but there is no option to replace Genre with a composite column... unless I missed something.
In short, I would like to know if such a thing is possible at all.
Thanks for any help.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 08:13 PM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

So it seems not to be possible, as no one has answered. For example, if I want the books in my catalog sorted not only by author, title and genre, but also by reading status (custom column), it cannot be done? They can be sorted by genre OR by reading status (if I replace Genre with Status column), but not by both?
Advert
Old 07-05-2015, 09:15 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
You can Filter

#read:true (or false)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 09:29 PM   #4
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
You can Filter

#read:true (or false)
In the catalog? In Calibre, of course, I can filter and sort every way I want. But I can't filter in epub or mobi catalog, can I?
Perhaps my question was badly worded. I meant, is it possible to add multiple custom columns and sort by them in epub or mobi catalog, not in Calibre library itself.
Old 07-05-2015, 09:32 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
In the catalog? In Calibre, of course, I can filter and sort every way I want. But I can't filter in epub or mobi catalog, can I?
Perhaps my question was badly worded. I meant, is it possible to add multiple custom columns and sort by them in epub or mobi catalog, not in Calibre library itself.
If you make a (pre) Filtered catalog
Create Catalog respects the Selected items
You will end up with a separate 'Read' catalog
Advert
Old 07-05-2015, 09:45 PM   #6
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Yes, that seems to be the only option, to make several separate catalogs (my reading status column isn't yes/no, unfortunately, there are many other choices). I would prefer all my data in one catalog. But if it can't be done, it can't.
Oh well. Perhaps it will be possible sometime in the future.
Old 07-05-2015, 09:49 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Yes, that seems to be the only option, to make several separate catalogs (my reading status column isn't yes/no, unfortunately, there are many other choices). I would prefer all my data in one catalog. But if it can't be done, it can't.
True finds entries. false finds blanks (undefined)

you can use any valid query #read:<50
Old 07-23-2015, 12:50 PM   #8
MiniMouse
Groupie
MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Well, there will always be a big time delay because I'm not living in the US! And there could be some communication difficulties too because I'm not a native speaker!
Device: Sony PRS-T3S
Quote:
I don't know if this is still something of interest to you but I thought that might at least be a bit of help for your catalog.

Though you can't select a composite column to be sortable (and believe me, I really would love to have that too), you at least can change the title in the section lists by now and use a composite column for that (thanks again to @chaley for doing that for me... and of course for everyone who loves that function too ).

That gives you now a chance to see more info in your catalog as title. For example: I'm reading a lot of fanfiction, so the important infos for me are - word-count, series, rating, completed/in-progress and read yes/no. I made a composite column that gives me these infos. So for example the title 'Blood is Thicker' looks in my catalog

author and series section: Blood is Thicker - 5* (49,313) [C]
(I don't need the series info here because the info is already displayed in the calatog.)

title section: Blood is Thicker - 5* (49,313) - 001. Brothers [C]

And for read yes/no I use the prefixes in the catalog to give me a little 'x' before the title in every section when I have read a book.

I can't sort by that but I can at least see everything important for me in the title!

Maybe that helps.

Mini
MiniMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 02:03 AM   #9
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Thank you for the idea, MiniMouse. It's certainly something to consider.