Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-28-2012, 05:50 AM   #1
negev
negev began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Is it possible to hide files?

Hi,

I've jailbroken my Paperwhite and have installed usbnet. I'd like to hide the usbnet folder when the kindle is mounted over usb, is this possible? The system folder seems to be hidden so it seems like it should be possible, I tried lsattr from the shell but got errors:

[root@kindle us]# lsattr
lsattr: Inappropriate ioctl for device While reading flags on ./system
lsattr: Inappropriate ioctl for device While reading flags on ./documents
lsattr: Inappropriate ioctl for device While reading flags on ./usbnet

any help greatly appreciated. If it's possible to move the usbnet folder to another filesystem and keep it working that would probably be a better solution.

Much thanks in advance
neg
negev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:58 AM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Your looking at a FAT32 file system.
No attributes (worth mentioning).
Those you do see are being faked by the mount command (enter: mount).
Plus - you need access to that directory over USB in some cases.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-28-2012, 08:00 AM   #3
negev

it looks like i *could* just move it into the system directory, and update all the references in all the shell scripts etc to point to the new location. theoretically that should work as long as there aren't any hard-coded references.

i'd lose the ability to edit the config via usb but that doesn't really matter much, my only real concern is fucking it up and accidentally bricking the device. plus if it doesn't work i'm probably not going to be able to get back in via ssh.

i guess if this didn't work, all that should happen is usbnet won't start and i can reset, reinstall 5.3.1 and start again.. that's just a theory though, i've only had this thing a few days
Old 12-28-2012, 08:06 AM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

"Factory Reset" does not do what you might think.

Get in some practice with your new Kpw - read the user's guide that is installed on it.
Old 12-28-2012, 08:08 AM   #5
negev

i'm pretty sure i read somewhere that you can un-jailbreak the device by performing a reset and then reinstalling the firmware. i've done this twice and in both instances it appeared to work.
Advert
Old 12-28-2012, 08:09 AM   #6
knc1
Going Viral

My bad -
I meant the next menu item to set back to factory defaults.
Old 12-28-2012, 11:50 AM   #7
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
This is on windows right?
(it's been a while, but) there is a "hidden" FAT attribute that should be honored by the mounting system.

and then you would just choose to not see hidden files (choose your MS OS from this list)

On Linux as indicated by my esteemed colleague you would be out of luck.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 12:36 PM   #8
knc1
Going Viral

You missed out on the chat earlier.

O.P. is using Mac OSx - which considers "system" a special name - which is why it was hidden (setting: show system files revels it).

He is now going to try renaming the usbnet folder as .usbnet - which might just work.
At least it will if the FAT32 export has the correct mount flags.

Translation: Solution pending testing.
Old 12-28-2012, 01:41 PM   #9
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
ah thanks
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote