Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 09-24-2012, 05:29 PM   #16
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado
KlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enough

Device: Fire, Kindle1, Sony PRS-500 Reader, Rocket 1100 eBook
I use the original Fire for reading mostly, and still keep my Kindle1 for when I want to read in bright light. So easy to sync back and forth so am in the same place.

Sometimes, rather than turn on the wireless on each, I just note the location number on one, then go to that location on the other. Actually, that is often faster.

Love 'em both.
KlondikeGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 05:15 PM   #17
eLDiaNo
eLDiaNo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire HD
I had the original Fire and it was allright to read books, but the fire hd gives it that retina display look to books, which I find it astonishing to read books on. I prefer the fire hd.
eLDiaNo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2012, 06:07 PM   #18
jsh1120
Connoisseur
jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle Fire
duplicate post. Sorry.
jsh1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 06:07 PM   #19
jsh1120
Connoisseur
jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle Fire
Like others, I have the original KF and the new KFHD as well as an e-ink Kindle keyboard that's mainly my wife's toy.

I'm not one that minds reading a backlit screen. I do it often for 10-12 hours a day sitting at my desk. But my wife is an e-ink "bigot." She found that by using ScreenDim she was able to use the original Kindle Fire and found it nearly (but not quite) equal to the e-ink experience.

So that was the starting point for a comparison with the new KFHD. Frankly, I'm astonished by the improvement in the new screen. No, it doesn't have the same "texture" (that's the only term I can come up with) but it's extremely readable. And with the addition of ScreenDim and the backgrounds available it's almost infinitely adjustable.

The biggest difference, however, is the improvement in reading outside. I live in Seattle so I'm not talking about a Florida beach here, but on my deck on a sunny day sitting under the patio umbrella, the KFHD is easily readable with minimal glare and no eyestrain for a couple of hours. In comparison the original KF is simply not usable in the same environment. E-ink still superior? I suspect those who REALLY don't like backlit screens would say so. For me, the KFHD equals the reading ease of my wife's KKB.
jsh1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 03:26 PM   #20
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
I like reading on my Kindle Fire 1st Gen and my new Paperwhite eInk with built in light. I have a Kindle Fire HD 7" 32 Gb on order due for delivery on Oct 25.

The Paperwhite is very light and I use it when sitting in chairs without a desk. If I am reading at a desk in the night, I use the Kindle Fire 1st Gen with its built in stand.

Both are equally as good for reading eBooks.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-07-2012, 03:35 PM   #21
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Huh!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
...I use the Kindle Fire 1st Gen with its built in stand.
Really!!?? What built in stand is that?!
alansplace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:03 AM   #22
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Marware!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
Really!!?? What built in stand is that?!
I've been using the Marware cover shown here:

http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Genuine...or+Kindle+Fire

It is only useable for the Kindle Fire 1st Gen and will not fit the Kindle Fire HD 7".

It makes the Kindle Fire 1st Gen into a perfect desk unit. Frankly, the Kindle Fire is simply too heavy for long reading stints without a desk or table. For that I use the Kindle Paperwhite which has absolutely NO glare and has perfect lighting for all environments if left at the 22 (default) level of the possible 24.

Last edited by sirmaru; 10-08-2012 at 10:13 AM.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:30 AM   #23
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
I've been using the Marware cover shown here:

http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Genuine...or+Kindle+Fire

It is only useable for the Kindle Fire 1st Gen and will not fit the Kindle Fire HD 7".

It makes the Kindle Fire 1st Gen into a perfect desk unit. Frankly, the Kindle Fire is simply too heavy for long reading stints without a desk or table. For that I use the Kindle Paperwhite which has absolutely NO glare and has perfect lighting for all environments if left at the 22 (default) level of the possible 24.
The Kindle Fire doesn't have a built-in stand. The case that you are using does. That's different.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:47 AM   #24
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool case

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysJeepMan View Post
The Kindle Fire doesn't have a built-in stand. The case that you are using does. That's different.

alansplace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 01:09 PM   #25
new
K3, K4B, KDX, KFHD, PW1&2
new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4B, KDX3G, KFHD, PW1, PW2
Reading on Kindle Fire HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyDisks View Post
Have found that reading at night using Pruss's dim app on my KFHD, wonderful! I have tried every option and have found that white on black in easy mode at 35% brightness works great.

No glare and the text is clear and sharp, very easy on these old eyes. None of what I would call "Halo" around the text letters that is normal with a lcd screen. And the plus side is the screen is not eating battery power with most of the screen turned off and not glaring at me as I read.

The KFHD is perfect for a bedtime reader for me in this mode in a dark room.
I finally (one week old KFHD) read with the Screen Dim lower than your setting, and it was great. But, when I tried the reading voice it cuts off the text at the top and bottom! I would have enjoyed that otherwise. Is it my Kindle or what??
new is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 01:16 PM   #26
new
new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I use Sepia with 0.8% brightness sometimes 1.2% depending how tired my eyes are. I can't use white text and black background. I've tried but the letters go dancing for me and I see blinds in my vision. I can't use white with black text either so Sepia is my only choice.
Me too! I really like that low setting and Sepia. But now I want the bigger Fire HD, because I make the type size huge (10) and I have to flip pages too often, hand/arm gets tired. Can I return the 7" for the bigger tablet? My complaint on the 7" is the text to speech cuts off the first line or two and the bottom line or two of each page as it reads to you!! I was so disappointed. I tried making it the smallest print, changed portrait to landscape, etc. nothing fixed it.
Old 10-13-2012, 04:35 PM   #27
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by new View Post
Me too! I really like that low setting and Sepia. But now I want the bigger Fire HD, because I make the type size huge (10) and I have to flip pages too often, hand/arm gets tired. Can I return the 7" for the bigger tablet? My complaint on the 7" is the text to speech cuts off the first line or two and the bottom line or two of each page as it reads to you!! I was so disappointed. I tried making it the smallest print, changed portrait to landscape, etc. nothing fixed it.
Contact support and let them know. It's some kind of bug obviously.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 07:26 PM   #28
new

Quote:
Contact support and let them know. It's some kind of bug obviously.
Thanks Blossom. I wondered if it was suppose to be cut off. Then it would be worth returning the KFHD if this is a "known bug" Anyone else have this bug here?

So your KF does NOT cut off the text it is reading on the text to voice I take it?

I think I am ordering the bigger KFHD, but I have to wait for 6 weeks! ?

I wonder if Text to Voice is messed up from an App I downloaded?

I cringe to contact Customer Service it is my last resort. The last thing I downloaded was my battery App Gsam something. Hmm......
Old 10-13-2012, 07:28 PM   #29
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by new View Post
Thanks Blossom. I wondered if it was suppose to be cut off. Then it was worth returning the KFHD. So your KF does NOT cut off the text it is reading on the text to voice I take it?

I think I am ordering the bigger KFHD, but I have to wait for 6 weeks! Why do they do this to me?

I wonder if Text to Voice is messed up from an App I downloaded?

I cringe to contact Customer Service it is my last resort. The last thing I downloaded was my battery App Gsam something. Hmm......
I don't think gsam which I also use is the problem. Is it on all Audibles books? I don't have a HD I just don't think it should cut off but it could be a bug in the software that a firmware update can fix.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 07:33 PM   #30
new

Quote:
I don't think gsam which I also use is the problem. Is it on all Audibles books? I don't have a HD I just don't think it should cut off but it could be a bug in the software that a firmware update can fix.
No it isn't audibles it is reading a book and turning on the text to speech, the computer voice. I tested on both purchased Kindle books and my converted mobi book, also tried smallest print size.