Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 08-18-2011, 05:58 PM   #1
denmarks
Enthusiast
denmarks began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Changing Covers

I had many MOBI files with no covers. Calibre was displaying the first page as the cover. I used the "edit metadata" to locate and create covers. I then used "convert" to create new MOBI files. I later removed the originals.

I then made copies of the MOBI files and added them to a Kindle library. The Kindle for PC program showed all the covers that I added.

I then tried to replace a few of the covers that I added. I used the same procedure I used originally to edit and then convert. Calibre shows the changed covers.

I deleted the old ones from the Kindle library and added the new ones. The covers did not change. I tried it a few times with the same results.

It seems as though once a cover is added to the metadata it can't be changed. Calibre must be showing the jpg that is its library. What can I do to resolve this? How do I remove the metadata version?

I tried using the "delete cover" button but that only removes the jpg. The converted file still has the old cover.
denmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 06:11 PM   #2
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
For MOBI, you'll need to reconvert the file for the cover to change.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-18-2011, 06:12 PM   #3
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Wink

If you want to change the cover in a MOBI file you need to run a conversion (even if it is MOBI->MOBI).
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 06:15 PM   #4
denmarks
Enthusiast

I did reconvert. It creates a new MOBI file and saves the old one. The new file did not have the new cover. I viewed it using Kindle for PC. Even when I deleted the cover and reconverted the old cover remained.
Old 08-18-2011, 06:23 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Kindle for PC caches covers. Use the calibre viewer to check the current cover in the file.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-18-2011, 06:36 PM   #6
denmarks
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Kindle for PC caches covers. Use the calibre viewer to check the current cover in the file.
Is there a way to clear the cache in Kindle for
PC? I tried uninstalling and reinstalling but that did not work.

Does Calibre show the JPG in the calibre file or is it the actual metadata?

NEVER MIND. I deleted the covers from the cover folder and it recreated the correct ones.

Last edited by denmarks; 08-18-2011 at 06:44 PM.