Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Old 03-25-2009, 11:12 AM   #151
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SurfacePro, SurfaceBook 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
I think that the initial "us v them" feeling of a new section would very quickly ear off. I know for certain that I would post in the On Topic Section as well as the Lounge. It's just my nature.

When the Writer's Corner was put up, there was some discussion about whether or not to "allow" silliness. That soon disappeared as the section developed a life of its own. There are now short stroies being created that are silly right alongside discussions about crafting stories and examples of poetry and "serious" stories with some dark bent to them.

As my Mom, the wisest woman I've ever met says, "Everything will work out for the best." Note that seh didn't say that it will work out the way you want it to...
I think your mother is a very wise woman!

I am sorry that it seems to have digressed to an US vs Them feeling at all! I am sure that wasn't the purpose of the original post. Although I rarely understand many of the inside jokes and double entendre (the squirrel references being a point in fact), I get a chuckle out of reading others' responses to them. I like to look through the Lounge now and then and read some of the posts there even though I feel insecure in posting to them. I know that I too would be interested in both the Lounge section and a less silly section. I like diversity and the idea that I have a choice.
Kaz
kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 11:16 AM   #152
Lady Blue
the snarky blue one
Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS500, 505 & 600, PRST1 & T2, Kindle PW, Moto Razr, Galaxy Tab 2-10"
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
But that's the rub. It's hard enough to remember the "silliness" prefix, and I have not been able to figure out yet how to go back and add it after the fact.
I just experienced the opposite situation. I started a thread with the silliness prefix (Remember When . . .) ONLY because I assumed it would quickly degenerate to that state. GeoffC had asked why it was tagged "Silliness" because it hadn't really jumped the track. For the most part it touched more on "Reflections" than crazy insanity. I couldn't REMOVE the silliness prefix however, to possibly attract those who didn't wish to be silly, and I think it's already died a sad death (possibly because of the tag - or maybe in spite of it.)

My sad attempt at a topic (in the lounge) that I believed was central to EVERYONE (memories) just went poof; possibly because I didn't classify it right (or maybe because I just don't know what I'm doing.)
Lady Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 11:20 AM   #153
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Blue View Post
My sad attempt at a topic (in the lounge) that I believed was central to EVERYONE (memories) just went poof; possibly because I didn't classify it right (or maybe because I just don't know what I'm doing.)
Take it easy, Lady. We are all just on a learning curve here. So book it under experience and try again.
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 11:23 AM   #154
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazbates View Post
I think your mother is a very wise woman!

I am sorry that it seems to have digressed to an US vs Them feeling at all!
Actually, I would say that it was our anti-silly long time members who created the feeling. Your posts helped lessen it. Thank you.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 11:26 AM   #155
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
But that's the rub. It's hard enough to remember the "silliness" prefix, and I have not been able to figure out yet how to go back and add it after the fact.
"Edit" then "Advanced" allows you to change the thread prefix.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 11:29 AM   #156
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
The "Us v Them" feel is the thing that some moderators are fearful of if there is a new section. I feel strongly that any of that feeling will quickly self-repair and the forum will be stronger for it.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 12:10 PM   #157
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SurfacePro, SurfaceBook 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Actually, I would say that it was our anti-silly long time members who created the feeling. Your posts helped lessen it. Thank you.
Your Welcome and it was kind of you to say it.

Quote:
The "Us v Them" feel is the thing that some moderators are fearful of if there is a new section. I feel strongly that any of that feeling will quickly self-repair and the forum will be stronger for it.
I really don't believe that it would continue once a new section was created. Many times that sort of thing only rears it's ugly head when you're in the initial discussion phase. Although, friendly rivalries such as the one between Kindle owners and Sony Reader owners can be very invigorating and enlightening.

I am a big believer in "to each his own".
Kaz
kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 12:38 PM   #158
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
My vision of another section that is designed for more "serious" discussions is not to exclude those of us who like being silly (and I realize that I am a main offender when it comes to being silly) but to rather have a place that those who want to discuss a topic with minimal diversions to have a place to go.

It is not Silly v Serious, but just a defining of areas. The Lounge has become, for better or worse, a place where jokes and pranks are the norm. A Club, or Salon, or Drawing Room, or Whatever, would be the place that is more about on topic talk.

I can understand the reluctance to jump into the Lounge by Newcomers. It was daunting to me when I started, as well. I would have to say, however, that that is the situation with any area of any forum. I really do see the utility of expansion of the Forum. Not because I want to be exclusive and divisive, but because I like to see lots of options for everyone.
Well said .... and coming from a person of major silliness, its is also well thought out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Yes, that is the perfect way to say it. That's what I meant. Just not said as well. Thank you.
No, truly Wolfie, you didn't come anywhere close to expressing that.

I still think a lock-step on topic area would be a place I would avoid. Sometimes I read a thread title and it looks interesting, but then you read the original post and .... not so much.

So, rather than wade through a bunch of potentially boring crap, I will bow out of it. Not to make it an "us vs. them" thing ... as much as it is an "interesting vs. deadly dull" sort of thing for me.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 01:10 PM   #159
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:
I think that the initial "us v them" feeling of a new section would very quickly ear off. I know for certain that I would post in the On Topic Section as well as the Lounge. It's just my nature.

When the Writer's Corner was put up, there was some discussion about whether or not to "allow" silliness. That soon disappeared as the section developed a life of its own. There are now short stroies being created that are silly right alongside discussions about crafting stories and examples of poetry and "serious" stories with some dark bent to them.

As my Mom, the wisest woman I've ever met says, "Everything will work out for the best." Note that seh didn't say that it will work out the way you want it to...

As a writer of silly stories, I didn't request they be put in with the serious discussions on writing. I asked the moderators where I should post, and they said Writer's Corner....I will happily post whereever it causes people the least grief....RSE
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 01:21 PM   #160
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
Keep in mind that, as he says, he is not talking about "serious" posts .... he is talking about not silly posts. What those are, I haven't a freaking clue.
I tried to explain this. The distinction between a forum thread and a forum thread used for a slow chat is useful. The difference is that some threads here are only interesting to read if you are on top of them and participate. Reading them a week later is not so interesting.

Last edited by tompe; 03-25-2009 at 01:31 PM.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 01:39 PM   #161
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
As a writer of silly stories, I didn't request they be put in with the serious discussions on writing. I asked the moderators where I should post, and they said Writer's Corner....I will happily post whereever it causes people the least grief....RSE
No no no, don't move it. I'm waaaay behind on my Red and Harv&Vera reading. Right now, I can find them. If you move them, well, I'll lose them again.

Listen, each and all of y'all is welcome to be silly or not silly, depending on your personality. Remember the introvert vs extrovert poll? I think Rickey and me were the only extroverts in the crowd. So I can't really empathasize with not feeling welcome, etc. But I can sympathasize with you that you feel like you walked into an in-crowd riot in progress in the llounge.

Somehow, all of those introverts managed to find a niche in our happy little llounge community. So will anyone else who wants to play. If you want to know about the squirrels or llamas or pandorg or anything else, just ask and you will get a ton of meaningless replies, each with a kernel of info.

If the silliness bothers you, well, just ignore us llounge llizards. I personally stay on mostly llounge or welcome threads, because I'm not a computer person and have little to offer in a technical manner. If you are an expert in one of the devices but don't want to spend your time goofing off, then PLEASE understand that what you contribute to the tech side of things is very much appreciated. I'm in awe of you and can only dream of having your talent to understand such things. Certain ones of the experts have proven so trustworthy and helpful that I lurk on their threads trying to pick up any pointers that may be casually tossed out and easily understood by others but are difficult for me. (PilotBob, Nick, JSWolf, just to name 3, also pdurrant, guarnin, =X=, oh gosh, my list keeps getting longer! I love you all!) And our news crew only occasionally comes out to play, but they are always on top of anything important that we need to know.

I want to apologize if my silliness has offended anyone. And I hope you will forgive me if my next silly post is offensive or insensitive. Because I want you all on my "friend" list and want to be on yours, and would never want to push away a potential friend.

I've said my say, so I'm going back to the llounge now, but will check back from time to time to see how this discussion is going. I have confidence that you all will continue to discuss this in the mature and open manner that it has been done already. One thing is certain about this community is that we are unique in that we embrace each other, no matter if we agree with one another. Oh, and another thing:
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 02:01 PM   #162
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
I tried to explain this. The distinction between a forum thread and a forum thread used for a slow chat is useful. The difference is that some threads here are only interesting to read if you are on top of them and participate. Reading them a week later is not so interesting.
And there are many threads that are not interesting from the get go. So, what's your point?

I find many threads easy to participate in .... even if you don't keep "on top" of them. That's the beauty of them .... you don't have to slog through 250 pages of prior posts in order to jump in.

Those are the posts that, reading them a week later, or two weeks later, is very interesting. They aren't hideously dated.

The best discussions are those where no one's iron fist of total control dictates. To illustrate, I have recently posted something that was intended (by me) to spark some intellectual discussion and research. It's doing nothing of the sort ... because I do not "own" the thread .... I do not "control" the thread.

So, why not have a separate forum for all the posts that are not interesting? You know .... starting out, even the original poster knows that no one is going to be interested, and then we put those posts there and we can all ignore them.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 12:10 PM   #163
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
A suggestion...or question?

If you click on New Posts on the main forums display, you can exclude E-Book Uploads.
Would it be easy to exclude Unutterably Silly threads also?

User CP E-Books New Posts Search Community Quick Links Log Out

Pull down options are:

All New Posts
- w/o E-Book Uploads
Last 24 Hours
Last 2 Days
Last 5 Days
Your Posts

WDE.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 12:12 PM   #164
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
@WDE: Unfortunately it's not possible to exclude threads based on their prefixes at the current stage.

I just posted a poll where you can vote on how we should proceed with the lounge:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43397
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 07:14 PM   #165
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
After looking at the news and commentary section, the new forum section I suggested that's not the Lounge is where this commentary should be going. I did not mean for it to be really serious threads. But that way we can get the commentary separate from the news. I do feel that news and commentary is getting to be a bit of a miss-mash with all the commentary in there. Makes it harder to find what is news and what isn't.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote