Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-26-2014, 08:42 AM   #1246
MarYo'lka
MarYo'lka began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite 2
Is it work on new update 5.4.5 ?
MarYo'lka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 09:20 AM   #1247
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarYo'lka View Post
Is it work on new update 5.4.5 ?
It has been reported to work on that version.
But your Kindle must have been "Jailbroken" while on an older version of firmware **before** the update to 5.4.5
And everything other than the JB installed **after** the update to 5.4.5
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 10:19 AM   #1248
MarYo'lka
MarYo'lka began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite 2
Yes, I confirm. The screensaver hack is working on KPW2 5.4.5
I jailbreaked my device long time ago. Thank you for fast answer knc1
MarYo'lka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 08:31 PM   #1249
ssholloway
Connoisseur
ssholloway has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ssholloway has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ssholloway has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPhone6, iPadMiniRetina, KindlePW3, KoboGloHD
Switch between default screensavers and book cover

First of all, thank you, NiLuJe, for all your hard work on the screensaver hack. 0.17.N r10460 is working beautifully on my PW2 5.4.3.2. I really like seeing the book cover when the PW is asleep. However, some books don't have nice covers and, of course, if I'm using KOReader to read an epub, there's isn't a cover to be displayed.

In such situations, I've been switching back to the Kindle screensavers by disabling the screensaver hack in KUAL. But that requires a full restart (restarting the framework only doesn't work), which is a bit of a pain. So I thought, aha, I'll just copy the Kindle screensaver images to the linkss/screensavers folder, which will let me switch back and forth through KUAL instead of having to restart. After doing the copy, I was able to see the Kindle screensavers under the default mode in KUAL but when I switched to cover mode, I still got the Kindle images no matter how long I kept the book open. I did check that the blank cover file was created by KUAL in linkss so it should be processed. Restarting after changing modes made no difference.

I'm flummoxed. Any thoughts/suggestions?

Last edited by ssholloway; 08-01-2014 at 08:53 PM.
ssholloway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 08:58 PM   #1250
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@ssholloway: Because switching between cover and other modes is done at the same early point in time during boot when the hack starts, so you can't really do it at runtime with how it's designed right now (which is also why each 'mixed' mode feature request went unimplemented) .

You can trigger that part of the code slightly faster than a full reboot w/ the 'Restart X' button of the Fonts hacks, which restarts the whole graphics stack (lab126_gui), and not simply the framework.

EDIT: And to answer the second part of your message, because in cover mode, the linkss/screensavers folder is unused, it's not even looked at, the active file is hosted outside of the userstore.

Which technically means, that, at best, for one your usecase, you could tweak the KOReader startup script to setup a single 'KOReader' screensaver, and switch back to the last cover on quit, but that's all.
Nothing much you can do about crappy covers, except fixing the files' metadata before putting them on the device .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 08-01-2014 at 09:04 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 09:38 PM   #1251
ssholloway
Connoisseur
ssholloway has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ssholloway has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ssholloway has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPhone6, iPadMiniRetina, KindlePW3, KoboGloHD
Thanks for the quick response, NiLuJe. Didn't realize what I was trying to do was similar to the "mixed mode" requests or I wouldn't have asked since I knew you weren't implementing that. I'll stick with my old method of disabling the hack when I want the standard Kindle images but I'll use "restart X' instead; thanks for the hint. Also simpler than playing with the KOReader start up script.

A lot of the ugly covers are in library books so I'm not fooling with them. I do fix my own.
ssholloway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 09:41 PM   #1252
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@ssholloway: Yup, unfortunately, metadata is still far from perfect in 'vanilla' files ;/.
Old 08-03-2014, 11:49 AM   #1253
ebilodea
Ignoramus
ebilodea began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW2 (5.4.5.1)
I use Calibre to fetch news, which include cover pages. The cover pages display just fine on the homescreen but they won't be used as my screen saver for some reason when using the cover mode. Instead, the cover of the last "book" that I opened (prior to opening the news document) is displayed.

Does anyone have an idea why this is happening? Could it be that the screensaver needs a very specific image size or that the metadata for news documents is stored differently?
ebilodea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 12:00 PM   #1254
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
The screensavers hack only looks at the last-read of certain ebooktypes, using the cdetype attribute. I believe it only looks at EBOK and PDOC, not whatever periodicals use. EDIT: It uses MAGZ.

That may or may not be deliberate. NiLuJe would know.

Last edited by eschwartz; 08-03-2014 at 12:03 PM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 12:05 PM   #1255
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebilodea View Post
I use Calibre to fetch news, which include cover pages. The cover pages display just fine on the homescreen but they won't be used as my screen saver for some reason when using the cover mode. Instead, the cover of the last "book" that I opened (prior to opening the news document) is displayed.

Does anyone have an idea why this is happening? Could it be that the screensaver needs a very specific image size or that the metadata for news documents is stored differently?
The periodicals/newspaper aspect of the 'cover' part of the screensaver hack is turned on through a KUAL menu option for this hack. You will need to install KUAL if you haven't yet...not sure if you'll need to reinstall the SS hack after installing KUAL to get the SS menu options to show (probably), but it can't hurt.
Good luck!

edit- *#@&!...does everyone type faster than I do?!

Last edited by GoSharks; 08-03-2014 at 12:19 PM.
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 12:10 PM   #1256
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSharks View Post
The periodicals/newspaper aspect of the 'cover' part of the screensaver hack is turned on through a KUAL menu option for this hack. You will need to install Kual if you haven't yet...not sure if you'll need to reinstall the SS hack after installing KUAL to get the SS menu options to show (probably), but it can't hurt.
Good luck!

edit- *#@&!...does everyone type faster than I do?!

No, but I start sooner.

I don't have this option, but I think that is only because I have v1.16

Didn't know about this.

Last edited by eschwartz; 08-03-2014 at 12:14 PM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 12:15 PM   #1257
ebilodea
Ignoramus
ebilodea began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW2 (5.4.5.1)
Thanks GoSharks, working just fine now I had KUAL but I didn't realize menu options had appeared for the screensaver hack after installing it. Just discovered this forum and jailbroke my kindle yesterday.
ebilodea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 12:16 PM   #1258
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebilodea View Post
Thanks GoSharks, working just fine now I had KUAL but I didn't realize menu options had appeared for the screensaver hack after installing it. Just discovered this forum and jailbroke my kindle yesterday.
Glad it's working for you...Welcome to the forum!

* KUAL is definitely the easiest way to change functions in the SS hack*

Last edited by GoSharks; 08-03-2014 at 12:18 PM.
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 05:44 PM   #1259
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Yep, I can't remember exactly when this was added, but it's definitely in the latest version .

It's disabled by default because covers in periodicals tend to be notoriously crappy, so it indeed falls back to the last non-periodical/non-dict book opened .
Old 08-06-2014, 03:38 AM   #1260
trekk
Terraner
trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Aura One, Kindle Oasis 1 & 2 ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarYo'lka View Post
Yes, I confirm. The screensaver hack is working on KPW2 5.4.5
I jailbreaked my device long time ago. Thank you for fast answer knc1
It does not seem to work on a jailbroken non-Japanese 4GB PW2 though (what a tongue twister ). KUAL, KOreader and CoolReader are working fine. When I tried to install the screensaver hack, I uploaded the Update_python_0.10.N_install_pw2.bin to the root of my Paperwhite, but the 'Update Your Kindle' link is greyed out.
trekk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle touch hacks, paperwhite, python, screensavers, touch