Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 09-12-2012, 09:29 AM   #1
Oxford-eBooks
Zealot
Oxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Loads!
Angry KindleGen INCREASES image file size?

I'm putting together an eBook with a lot of graphic content on the Kindle and need to keep the final file size below the 50Mb required to upload to KDP.

Now, the image content in the book is about 15Mb (if I add up all the file-sizes), but when Kindlegen 2.5 has build the book, the final file size is 53Mb.

Clearly, KindleGen is reprocessing the images. But what's going on here and does anyone know how to suppress the reprocessing?

Most of the files are under 63k, but some enjoy the new 127k limit. None of the images are larger than 127k.

I've tried various maximum image sizes from 525x700 down to about 520x650 (I forget the actual dimensions). I get a little but of a decrease in the file size - originally I had 75mb and got a saving after reducing the compresson rate and image dimensions.

Wondering if INCREASING the image quality and keeping the pixel size low might help - less noise in the final converted image?? ... to the photoshop batch processor.

Oxford-eBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 02:07 PM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxford-eBooks View Post
but when Kindlegen 2.5 has build the book, the final file size is 53Mb.

Clearly, KindleGen is reprocessing the images. But what's going on here and does anyone know how to suppress the reprocessing?
A does not equal B.

The difference in final file size is mainly due to the fact that the final file contains the entire ebook in the older MOBI format ... and the entire ebook in the newer KF8 format ... and the original source files from which the ebook was built.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 02:28 PM   #3
Oxford-eBooks
Zealot
Oxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks DiapDealer

... I am going to have to kill someone now...

Seriously, what a hacked and shortsighted approach. KDP are going to have to change the 50Mb limit then, because when people start making righer content it's all going to come crashing down.
Old 09-12-2012, 02:34 PM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Use Kindlestrip to remove the source before uploading. That will likely get you below the 50Mb cap easily.
Old 09-12-2012, 02:59 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Use Calibre to generate a KF8 or Mobi file.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 04:22 PM   #6
Oxford-eBooks
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Use Kindlestrip to remove the source before uploading. That will likely get you below the 50Mb cap easily.
Might try that. What's a good tool to open up and examine a MOBI btw?
Old 09-12-2012, 05:06 PM   #7
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Might try that. What's a good tool to open up and examine a MOBI btw?
MobiUnpack
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 08:46 AM   #8
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Use Calibre to generate a KF8 or Mobi file.
That's not a good idea for a publisher, because Amazon has been known to occasionally reject .mobi files generated by Calibre.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 08:59 AM   #9
Oxford-eBooks
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
That's not a good idea for a publisher, because Amazon has been known to occasionally reject .mobi files generated by Calibre.
Yes. I've got an unhealthy and irrational aversion to Calibre for some reason, so not a problem.

I managed to get from 58mb to 9mb by making some changes to the toolchain that puts everything together for Kindlegen.

So, all's well that ends well.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:10 AM   #10
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I managed to get from 58mb to 9mb by making some changes to the toolchain that puts everything together for Kindlegen.
Good deal.
Old 09-13-2012, 10:41 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
If the eBook is being made to be sold at Amazon, then using Calibre to generate a KF8 might not be a good idea as KF8 might not be flushed out enough yet.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 05:33 AM   #12
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Yeeeees. I mentioned this on the KDP forums today, and had one of the (uploaded Word files until he discovered Calibre) old-timers tell me I was unequivocally WRONG about this, as he had emailed Kovid, who replied (today, apparently?):

Quote:
As far as I know, calibre generated MOBI files are still compatible with KDP.

Kovid
Thus, of course, whatever I said was, naturally WRONG WRONG WRONG, never mind that I'd checked the information with my Tech. Acct. Rep at Amazon when it was first reported back in June, having anticipated when I first saw this arise that we'd see this cropping up on the KDP fora PDQ. So I finally gave up telling people. If they want to ignore the reports, hey...I tried.

I can only assume that Kovid is making the distinction between the K7 formats and the K8, because the K7-type files, I have read, seem to be working, but anything with K8 formatting seem to be what's getting rejected. {shrug}. It's a perfectly legitimate distinction, but of course, over on the KDP forums, that distinction wouldn't be understood.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 05:51 AM   #13
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

I love calibre. I use it to convert a lot of files for personal use all the time. But I wouldn't be uploading calibre produced content to KDP even if I had a pretty solid promise it was "compatible." That's not bashing calibre in any way. It just doesn't seem prudent to me to use anything other than the official tool-chain for professional publication. I'm a bit OCD in that regard.
Old 09-14-2012, 07:10 AM   #14
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I love calibre. I use it to convert a lot of files for personal use all the time. But I wouldn't be uploading calibre produced content to KDP even if I had a pretty solid promise it was "compatible." That's not bashing calibre in any way. It just doesn't seem prudent to me to use anything other than the official tool-chain for professional publication. I'm a bit OCD in that regard.
We keep our converted books in a Calibre Catalog. I love it for that. It has many--many--great uses. But Kovid does not claim, and never has, that it's a production tool. I, too, am a bit OCD in that regard--the right tool for the job, and all that. But people will always seek what they see as a silver bullet, the "easy way out," like magic diet pills, rather than spending a few hours learning to make a MOBI file. Hell, you can even make a passable MOBI now with WORD, for the love of heaven. Not what I'd put up as my work, mind you; but nothing wrong with it for DIY'ers.

It's not Calibre I object to, not at all. It's the Whovian "Resistance is Futile" when you try to tell people something that they don't want to hear that gets up my nose. ;-)

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
image size, kindle, kindlegen