Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-19-2011, 12:53 PM   #1
Meh
Meh began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Exclamation Battery problem?

Hey all, I've had the Kobo Touch for about a month or so now and I've had this one problem since day one: my reader always shows it has half a battery left when it shuts down on me. Is this glitch, some sort of energy saving option, or just a defect? It's quite annoying when I don't realize I need to charge and then just having my reader shut off when I'm in the middle of reading something.
Meh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 12:56 PM   #2
mdclements
Kobo Developer
mdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single book

Device: Kobo
Are you running the latest firmware (1.9.6)?
mdclements is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 01:09 PM   #3
Meh

Yup, I always have the latest firmware. It has always been a problem.
Old 07-19-2011, 01:12 PM   #4
jimr
jimr began at the beginning.

Device: Original Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meh View Post
Hey all, I've had the Kobo Touch for about a month or so now and I've had this one problem since day one: my reader always shows it has half a battery left when it shuts down on me. Is this glitch, some sort of energy saving option, or just a defect? It's quite annoying when I don't realize I need to charge and then just having my reader shut off when I'm in the middle of reading something.
I have exactly the same problem. I was kinda wondering if it was a battery calibration issue, and that it would eventually reset itself. So far it hasn't. I was curious though, if anybody else had the same problem. So, is this something that requres a return or an update??
jimr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 01:36 PM   #5
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimr View Post
I have exactly the same problem. I was kinda wondering if it was a battery calibration issue, and that it would eventually reset itself. So far it hasn't. I was curious though, if anybody else had the same problem. So, is this something that requres a return or an update??
Yeah, I figured that my battery was running as usual, but just that the way it measured my remaining battery power was just off. Hopefully there is a fix for this, as I could probably exchange it for another unit but I don't want to go through that hassle.

Also, on a somewhat related note, I would really like to see a battery indicator that told me how much battery I had remaining in percentages rather than just a block that leave me guessing. Or am I the only one who feels this way?
Old 07-19-2011, 01:49 PM   #6
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meh View Post
Also, on a somewhat related note, I would really like to see a battery indicator that told me how much battery I had remaining in percentages rather than just a block that leave me guessing...
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 11:50 PM   #7
FJames
Addict
FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch & Aura
My KT has just run out of power and been recharged for the 3rd time, so some patterns are beginning to emerge.

This time the battery icon showed about 20% power shortly before it wouldn't turn on again. That's about the same as last time. It's a little better than the initial cycle, where it shut down showing at least 30%, but still not very good accuracy at the bottom end.

This time it took about 3.5 hours of charging to show full charge (battery icon full and showing a check mark on the Sleep screen), but I was reading for part of that time. It generally seems to take at least 3 hours to charge fully, so it's not as quick as the 2 hours suggested in the manual.

Once again the battery indicator dropped immediately to about 90% as soon as it was powered on. That seems to be a general problem that has not been fixed by any of the firmware updates.

My Reading Stats show about 67 total hours read over 6 weeks on 3 full battery charges, so the battery life seems to be realistically about 2 weeks while averaging a little over 10 hours of reading per week. The Stats don't show how many pages turned, but I would guess 2000 - 3000 per charge.

Last edited by FJames; 07-28-2011 at 11:53 PM.
FJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 02:21 PM   #8
the.Mtn.Man
Guru
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by FJames View Post
The Stats don't show how many pages turned...
Yes they do. Go to "Reading Life -> Reading Stats" and number of page turns is on the right side right around the mid point.
the.Mtn.Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 03:36 PM   #9
FJames
Addict
FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the.Mtn.Man View Post
Yes they do. Go to "Reading Life -> Reading Stats" and number of page turns is on the right side right around the mid point.
I think that's for the current book only.
Old 07-29-2011, 04:59 PM   #10
the.Mtn.Man
Guru
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I think that's for the current book only.
No. Mine is showing 400+ page turns, and I'm currently reading a 139 page book.
Old 07-29-2011, 06:45 PM   #11
FJames
Addict

Well mine shows 555 page turns in an 800-page book, which is clearly way under the total corresponding to all books read. Are you sure you're looking at the book pages and not the chapter pages in your book?
Old 07-30-2011, 12:31 AM   #12
EMG
EMG began at the beginning.

I've had the same problems:
1. Shuts down at about 30% battery remaining and needs recharge.
2. As soon as I unplug the KT after a FULL recharge, the battery indicator goes down a notch.

I have recharged 3 times so far and the calibration has not corrected itself yet. I've had this problem from v.1.9.5 to 1.9.6. I am now rockin' on 1.9.9. Let's hope it's resolved.
EMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 12:46 AM   #13
the.Mtn.Man
Guru

Quote:
Well mine shows 555 page turns in an 800-page book, which is clearly way under the total corresponding to all books read. Are you sure you're looking at the book pages and not the chapter pages in your book?
Ah, never mind, you're right. The stat is for the current book only. I was under the mistaken impression that 139 pages meant 139 screens of text, but that's apparently not how pages are calculated. In my case, four screens of text equals one "page".

And here I was wondering why it was taking me so long to get through a 139 page book.
Old 07-30-2011, 01:50 PM   #14
cutterjohn42
Addict
cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm IIIx, EBM-911, REB-1100(dead), PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMG View Post
I've had the same problems:
1. Shuts down at about 30% battery remaining and needs recharge.
2. As soon as I unplug the KT after a FULL recharge, the battery indicator goes down a notch.

I have recharged 3 times so far and the calibration has not corrected itself yet. I've had this problem from v.1.9.5 to 1.9.6. I am now rockin' on 1.9.9. Let's hope it's resolved.
Mine did this once, but I can't remember if it happened before or after I did the 1.9.7 upgrade, and at that time the batt meter was showing a 75-80% charge, and it didn't take long to go to 100%(hour or so IIRC). Strange thing is that it never happened before nor since(and I use mine for at least a couple hours every day)...

Now that I think of it, it must've happened under 1.9.6, then I updated to 1.9.7(before it was pulled) not long afterwards, and 1.9.7 didn't last long(1? 2d?) and I'm now at 1.9.8(which also didn't last long) since Thurs IIRC. Waiting for my KT to top off and then I'll do the 1.9.9 update...
cutterjohn42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 01:31 PM   #15
tea2
Zealot
tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd ed, Kindle 2, iPad Mini 4, Aura One.
Mine shut down showing about 1/3 battery power too. Mind you, I'm sure I got the 20k page turns before it did, but I wish I'd had a better indication it was going to shut down.
tea2 is offline   Reply With Quote