Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: January 2011 Mobile Read Book Club Vote
War of the Worlds by H G Wells 9 8.82%
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy By Douglas Adams 21 20.59%
The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson 4 3.92%
The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins 8 7.84%
Sh*t My Dad Says by Halpern, Justin 9 8.82%
American Gods by Neil Gaiman 16 15.69%
Shutter Island by Dennis LeHane 10 9.80%
Kim by Rudyard Kipling 5 4.90%
The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde 12 11.76%
Quirkology: How We Discover the Big Truths in Small Things by Richard Wiseman 5 4.90%
Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris 3 2.94%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-07-2011, 11:12 AM   #61
sahmad88
Zealot
sahmad88 will become famous soon enoughsahmad88 will become famous soon enoughsahmad88 will become famous soon enoughsahmad88 will become famous soon enoughsahmad88 will become famous soon enoughsahmad88 will become famous soon enough

Device: nook color
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrayWolf View Post
This is excellent timing. I was gifted a Kindle about a week before Christmas, and when I found out Amazon has the whole 5-book HHGG "trilogy" for $10, I figured I'd buy it and read it again.

Then I found this thread!

Looking forward to sharing my thoughts and seeing everyone else's later this month.
Where did you find this? I went to Amazon's site and couldn't find it. Maybe the deal is gone now, or hopefully, maybe I just couldn't find it.
sahmad88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 11:45 AM   #62
Illinifan
Connoisseur
Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illinifan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 4, iPhone 4, iPod touch, Sony PRS 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by sahmad88 View Post
Where did you find this? I went to Amazon's site and couldn't find it. Maybe the deal is gone now, or hopefully, maybe I just couldn't find it.
I was in my local brick and mortar B&N last night and they have the 5 book "trilogy" compliation on clearance with a big 50% sticker on it. Other than the illustrated version available through one of my Overdrive libraries, I haven't seen an ebook version...not that I've looked. I still have my original copies of the the pbooks and a copy of the 4 book compliation that was published before "Mostly Harmless" was published.

Anybody besides me read "And Another Thing..."?
Illinifan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 01:18 PM   #63
lila55
Fanatic
lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360° , iPhone 5, PRS-650, Sony PRS-T2, Sony PRS-T3, Tolino
Quote:
Originally Posted by sahmad88 View Post
Right here for $ 9.99.
lila55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 08:08 PM   #64
sahmad88
Zealot
sahmad88 will become famous soon enoughsahmad88 will become famous soon enoughsahmad88 will become famous soon enoughsahmad88 will become famous soon enoughsahmad88 will become famous soon enoughsahmad88 will become famous soon enough

Device: nook color
Oh, Duh! I completely missed that, thinking it was just the first book. Thanks.
sahmad88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 04:13 PM   #65
NVash
Wandering Vagabond
NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinifan View Post
Tried to. Never finished it. I stopped at around fifty pages in. I like the author and his Artemis Fowl series but it seemed like he was trying entirely too hard for this. A good example is Ford and smoking that worm, while I could see Ford doing that the whole thing seemed forced. And the notes from The Guide, man there was so many notes that by the time I got back to the story I forgot what was going on. Then again I could be biased since 'The Hitchhikers Guide' is my favorite book series.

'The Eyre Affair' I read some of that once as a library rental. I liked it but after awhile I lost interest.

'Dead Until Dark', IMHO, was bad. I couldnt stand Sookie but I did like Sam and Bubba. You know another one that really let me down but also has a show on Showtime? 'Darkly Dreaming Dexter'. Thats a little off topic but I didnt like that book either. I may read the second in both series someday but Im in no rush.

'Magic Bites' has been on my 'To-Read' list for years now. I should pick it up and read it already.

I think that I might check out 'Shutter Island' sometime, that sounds like an interesting book.
NVash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 03:34 PM   #66
avantman42
Wizard
avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
I haven't read it, but it was Radio 4's "Book at Bedtime", and I listened to that. I quite enjoyed it, but I'm not in a rush to buy it.
avantman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 08:13 AM   #67
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
I was in my local brick and mortar B&N last night and they have the 5 book "trilogy" compliation on clearance with a big 50% sticker on it. Other than the illustrated version available through one of my Overdrive libraries, I haven't seen an ebook version...not that I've looked. I still have my original copies of the the pbooks and a copy of the 4 book compliation that was published before "Mostly Harmless" was published.

I did, and was a bit disappointed. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't Adams, and it showed.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 06:34 PM   #68
BenBanned
Groupie
BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paper
Soooo..... it's the twentieth.
BenBanned is offline   Reply With Quote