Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-24-2010, 08:57 AM   #301
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Quote:
Originally Posted by shazwagon View Post
Now that we have the International DX available, can someone, please, clarify the status of the "true" myths?

As in, is it true that I have to pay Kindle some amount to put my own books on the device? (I know I can use Calibre to convert to Kindle friendly formats but for some reason I have this idea that Amazon is staring down at you like big brother!)

This remains the only (major) concern on my way to buying the latest Kindle DX.

Nice thread!
If you send your books over the Internet via Amazon, they charge you a fee for the service. But if you transfer by USB, then, no.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 01:19 PM   #302
shazwagon
shazwagon is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony T-1
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
If you send your books over the Internet via Amazon, they charge you a fee for the service. But if you transfer by USB, then, no.
Thanks so much!
shazwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-18-2011, 01:53 PM   #303
MrBooknerd
MrBooknerd doesn't litterMrBooknerd doesn't litter

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Partial Truth:

Amazon charges 10 cents to convert a document.

Whole Truth:
This item was no doubt factually correct when it was posted over two years ago, but Amazon has revised their policies: a new fee schedule and @free.kindle.com items now get sent by both wifi and email (current kindle modles are either wifi only or 3G+wifi).

Anyway, here is my revised version of

Whole Truth
Amazon does not charge for document conversion.
Depending on the delivery method you select, there may be delivery fees.

If you elect to have the document delivered via WIFI and/or as an email attachment (for later transfer to your Kindle via USB cable), there is no delivery fee. You select this option by sending the document(s) you want converted to the yourkindlename@free.kindle.com address associated with your account.

If you elect to have Amazon perform delivery via its Whispernet (cellular phone network), then you'll be charged a per document delivery fee based on your location and the size of the document. The current Whispernet delivery fees as of May 2011 are $0.15 per megabyte within the United States and $0.99 per megabyte outside the United States. For full details see Fees for Personal Document Service You select this delivery option by sending the document(s) you want converted to the yourkindlename@kindle.com address associated with your account.

It's also worth mentioning that there is a Personal Document Charge Limit setting in your account for the maximum charge allowed for a single personal document (between $0.00 and $49.50). If your location and the size of the document would result in a larger fee, the document is delivered via WIFI and email rather than Whispernet.

You may also skip Amazon's conversion service and do it yourself with free software.
  • MobiPocket Creator - Windows only (install as the Publisher's Edition, get MobiPocket Reader while you're at it to test your conversions)
  • Stanza - Windows and Mac
  • Calibre - Windows, Mac and Linux (a big plus is the creator Kovid is a MobileRead member and regular poster)
MrBooknerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 05:44 AM   #304
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBooknerd View Post
(current kindle modles are either wifi only or 3G+wifi).
No, the Kindle DX is still 3G only. No WiFi.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
iphone, ipod, kindle, kindle myths