Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-23-2008, 02:34 AM   #1
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
Kindle E-Ink screen transplant from a Sony Reader

Not for the faint of heart, but the instructions in the following link will show you how to remove a broken screen from an Amazon Kindle and replace it with the screen from a Sony Reader.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Amaz..._from_a_Sony_/

Last edited by Madam Broshkina; 08-23-2008 at 02:38 AM.
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 08:20 AM   #2
acidzebra
Liseuse Lover
acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Heh, I love instructables and Make mag. Who knows, this might come in handy sometime (I guess the operation can go two ways).
acidzebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-23-2008, 08:27 AM   #3
awi
Enthusiast
awi has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: 2x Irex Iliad V2, DR1000s & DR800sg
Does anyone know a place where to buy replacement screens for any reader?
awi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 09:41 AM   #4
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Sure would have been easier to ask Amazon for a replacement, especially since it was damaged 8 months ago and Amazon was more generous with replacements.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 02:33 PM   #5
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by awi View Post
Does anyone know a place where to buy replacement screens for any reader?
PVI, Netronix. They'll probably run you about $180-$250 for the screen/display-controller but I think this might well be the way to go.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-01-2008, 10:34 AM   #6
Disconnect
Disconnect began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
PVI, Netronix. They'll probably run you about $180-$250 for the screen/display-controller but I think this might well be the way to go.
Does anyone have info on actually -performing- said purchase? Contacted both companies a while back and so far nothing.

(Just lost my 2nd cybook screen, really fed up. Stiffer plastic in the case and flexible mounting hardware would go a long way to preventing this sort of thing.)
Disconnect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 04:34 PM   #7
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disconnect View Post
Does anyone have info on actually -performing- said purchase? Contacted both companies a while back and so far nothing.

(Just lost my 2nd cybook screen, really fed up. Stiffer plastic in the case and flexible mounting hardware would go a long way to preventing this sort of thing.)
Well, Bookeen *will* replace the screen for you. Runs about $150-$170. However, there may be a week or two delay in them getting back to you.

As for Netronix... I must point out that I've been waiting now for more than four weeks for them to even acknowledge my request for an RMA number for my broken EB-100 (the exact hardware base for the Cybook, but with a white case). Netronix has yet to respond. And as some have pointed out, Netronix is in the process of switching from the S3C2410 ARM processor to the S3C2440 ARM processor and may not be the fastest to respond.

Derek
Old 09-01-2008, 04:44 PM   #8
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
As for Netronix... I must point out that I've been waiting now for more than four weeks for them to even acknowledge my request for an RMA number for my broken EB-100 (the exact hardware base for the Cybook, but with a white case). Netronix has yet to respond.
Do you now that they are using RMA numbers? If you asked a Swedish company for RMA numbers they would probably not know what you were talking about.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 05:07 PM   #9
delphidb96
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
Do you now that they are using RMA numbers? If you asked a Swedish company for RMA numbers they would probably not know what you were talking about.

My specific request was for either an RMA number - and I explained it as Return Merchandise Authorization number - *OR* the process needed to return my EB-100 for repair. And I further specified if they did not have repair parts for my EB-100, could they please specify the process to have it replaced.

If that's not plain enough language, then Netronix should not be in the business of selling items to customers. (Although I did *NOT* share that thought with them. )

IOW, I made it plain that the EB-100's screen had broken under normal usage, the EB-100 was less than 4 months old, and I wanted it repaired or replaced, whichever Netronix could best accomplish.

Derek

PS. And it's been four weeks and no reply to *any* of my emails or other attempts.

Last edited by delphidb96; 09-01-2008 at 05:09 PM. Reason: added comment.

Tags
duck!