Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-29-2008, 10:24 PM   #1
hamimelon
hamimelon began at the beginning.

Device: palm tx
Finally unbrick my prs505! - a new method

My prs505 got bricked (stuck on "starting up..." page), when I tried to flash Chinese font into the internal memory. When the reader was connected to the USB, I can see the three "Removable Disk" with 0 capacity, which can not be formatted or recognized by the updater. The "soft reset 10 times" method did not work for me. But I have finally got it unbricked using the following method:

1. Press the pinhole on the back panel(do not exercise the power switch ).
2. Connect the reader to USB. The reader will still show "starting up...", BUT the light beside the power switch turn red and the computer can read the internal memory of the reader now.
3. Format the internal memory using FAT.
4. Unconnect the reader and exercise the power switch to soft reset it.

This is how I got my prs505 unbricked. Hope this will be of some use to some other people...
hamimelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 01:31 AM   #2
kitycat
kitycat began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs-505
Wow,it seems a good method. I never think of this way.
kitycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-21-2008, 01:52 AM   #3
mrsonyreader
eBook Enthusiast
mrsonyreader began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader (PRS-505)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamimelon View Post
My prs505 got bricked (stuck on "starting up..." page), when I tried to flash Chinese font into the internal memory. When the reader was connected to the USB, I can see the three "Removable Disk" with 0 capacity, which can not be formatted or recognized by the updater. The "soft reset 10 times" method did not work for me. But I have finally got it unbricked using the following method:

2. Connect the reader to USB. The reader will still show "starting up...", BUT the light beside the power switch turn red and the computer can read the internal memory of the reader now.

This is how I got my prs505 unbricked. Hope this will be of some use to some other people...
It may be of some help to me, I did the Chinese hack, now stuck in the starting up screen, currently reformatting. Wish me luck!
mrsonyreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 05:52 AM   #4
cjp
Zealot
cjp began at the beginning.

Device: HP Slate 500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3G+Wi-Fi, Droid
Quote:

I had NO LUCK with any of the soft resets, doing it 10 times, etc. I was all set to do the full hard reset, when I came across this post.

Your directions worked! It was fast and easy!
cjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 10:00 PM   #5
Cwluc
Cwluc began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
@hamimelon you are the reason I joined this forum to say thank you jesus for posting this method to restore my 505. I've been fretting for the last two nights and had resolved to call Sony when they opened on Monday. Thank you, thank you, thank you!
Cwluc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-26-2010, 05:53 AM   #6
Sullivan
Connoisseur
Sullivan began at the beginning.

Device: none
bookmarking this thread now, I was so close to bricking mine a couple of times I cannot be too cautious in the future.
Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 04:15 AM   #7
sideburnt
Connoisseur
sideburnt began at the beginning.

Device: Sony prs-505
I used this method method unknowlingly yesterday, bar the internal format.
Reading your post just reassured me that I was taking sensible steps.

I'd suggest to people to try and recover without formatting first.
sideburnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 10:59 PM   #8
sungbuk
sungbuk began at the beginning.

Device: prs-505
Finally, It is working normal condition. Thanks. I have been troubled in this case.
You are the best commeter I have ever seen.

you can see more detail picture
http://blog.naver.com/sulco

From Korea.

Last edited by sungbuk; 02-09-2010 at 11:01 PM.
sungbuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 04:35 AM   #9
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
When you reformat the internal memory using FAT via the computer, do you lose all the reader applications? Do you have to reinstall the reader firmware or is it still intact after the formatting? I'm asking because a person is getting a is getting "Windows must format disk drive x before you can use it" every time they connect their reader to their Vista laptop.
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 04:12 AM   #10
johnedge
johnedge began at the beginning.

Device: Sony prs505
how please do I format the internal memory ?

Quote:
My prs505 got bricked (stuck on "starting up..." page), when I tried to flash Chinese font into the internal memory. :smack: When the reader was connected to the USB, I can see the three "Removable Disk" with 0 capacity, which can not be formatted or recognized by the updater. The "soft reset 10 times" method did not work for me. But I have finally got it unbricked using the following method:):

how please do I format the internal memory ?
johnedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 04:14 AM   #11
johnedge
johnedge began at the beginning.

Device: Sony prs505
how please do I format the internal memory ? please reply also to johnedge007@gmail.com.
johnedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 09:21 AM   #12
wen
wen began at the beginning.

Device: prs-505
hamimelon you're a star

I could kiss you!!!!!

I had to slide the power switch in the first step as the ereader was frozen otherwise. But this still worked for me.

Finally, I've got my ereader out of its coma.

Thank you so much. xxx
wen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 03:11 PM   #13
richyhu
Enthusiast
richyhu is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-505 (Blue), PRS-700, PRS-T1 (Black)
Amazing solution, my PRS-700 had been stuck on the starting up screen for a couple of months now, I had given up hope until I found this - extremely grateful.
richyhu is offline   Reply With Quote