Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 04-17-2008, 03:03 PM   #1
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Secured PDF Ouch!!

I just made my first mistake and bought an Adobe Secure PDF.

What a mistake. They require one to use their new special software that requires an internet connection so they can download the PDF directly to their reader.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 04:35 PM   #2
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
I don't like those
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-17-2008, 04:44 PM   #3
Ramen
Connoisseur
Ramen has learned how to read e-booksRamen has learned how to read e-booksRamen has learned how to read e-booksRamen has learned how to read e-booksRamen has learned how to read e-booksRamen has learned how to read e-booksRamen has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle 3, BeBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervserver View Post
I don't like Adobe
There, fixed it for you
Ramen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 06:15 PM   #4
ProfJulie
Evangelist
ProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-books

Device: whatever
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
I just made my first mistake and bought an Adobe Secure PDF.

What a mistake. They require one to use their new special software that requires an internet connection so they can download the PDF directly to their reader.
Actually you could have used Adobe Reader 7 (or an earlier version). Adobe Reader 8 does not handle DRM encryption of PDF files, so you have to use Adobe's separate Digitial Editions reader. This software is very limited (at least it was when I looked at it a few months ago), and it locked the file down so it could not be read on any other devices. I think Adobe's loosened this up a little with their most recent version of Digitial Editions, but it's still too locked down for me.

You probably won't be able to do much with the book you just purchased, but you can still download Adobe Reader 7 and use that instead for any other PDF books you might get.
ProfJulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 07:21 PM   #5
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfJulie View Post
Actually you could have used Adobe Reader 7 (or an earlier version). Adobe Reader 8 does not handle DRM encryption of PDF files, so you have to use Adobe's separate Digitial Editions reader. This software is very limited (at least it was when I looked at it a few months ago), and it locked the file down so it could not be read on any other devices. I think Adobe's loosened this up a little with their most recent version of Digitial Editions, but it's still too locked down for me.

You probably won't be able to do much with the book you just purchased, but you can still download Adobe Reader 7 and use that instead for any other PDF books you might get.
Actually the latest digital editions 1.5 is much better and offers a DRM policy that is not locked to one machine. It is worth checking out as it supports ePUB as well. (Much better than the old one)

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-18-2008, 02:03 AM   #6
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Thanks ProfJulie Adobe 7 did the trick. I was able to print the PDF as an image then use PDF2LRF to crop it down so I could view it on the Sony.

Last edited by =X=; 04-18-2008 at 02:04 AM. Reason: typo
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote