Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-29-2011, 12:57 AM   #1
moffattm
Addict
moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Glo
Kobo Touch Hits New Zealand!

The Kobo Touch has finally reached the shores of New Zealand.

Whitcoulls have announced that the KT will be available in store from the 3rd of October at a price of NZ$279 (inc GST).

This is great for those of us that didn't want to order from overseas as it means that Whitcoulls will handle any warranty problems.
moffattm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 01:47 AM   #2
kiwipippa
Fanatic
kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo glo, kobo touch (dead), kindle touch, android phone
Yahoo - about time. It will be interesting to see how they go now that there is a new kindle available for around $175 shipped to NZ (wifi but not touch screen).

You'd be paying an extra $100 for library access and touch screen....

I still prefer the open format of epub, but the price point on the kindle is pretty attractive too.
kiwipippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2011, 01:47 AM   #3
HarleyB
Fanatic
HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (RIP), iPad, iPhone 4, Kobo Touch x2, Kobo Glo
Hey that's great news for our Kiwi cousins!
I've just had a quick look but can't see anything on Borders, Angus and Robertson, or Collins websites in Australia - except links to the Kobo wifi which has been out of stock for months.
HarleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 01:51 AM   #4
kiwipippa
Fanatic
kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moffattm View Post
Whitcoulls have announced that the KT will be available in store from the 3rd of October at a price of NZ$279 (inc GST).
Moffattm, where did you read this? I can't see anything on the website. I wonder if they will be in-store or online only?

Last edited by kiwipippa; 09-29-2011 at 01:51 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-29-2011, 02:50 AM   #5
IxiaAurea
Connoisseur
IxiaAurea could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.IxiaAurea could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.IxiaAurea could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.IxiaAurea could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.IxiaAurea could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.IxiaAurea could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.IxiaAurea could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.IxiaAurea could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.IxiaAurea could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.IxiaAurea could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.IxiaAurea could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2, Kobo Glo
Good news but oof that's expensive
IxiaAurea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2011, 05:41 AM   #6
Techbar
TechnoGeek
Techbar could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Techbar could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Techbar could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Techbar could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Techbar could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Techbar could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Techbar could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Techbar could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Techbar could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Techbar could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Techbar could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Likebook Mars, Boox Kepler Pro, InkBook Obsidian
The Sony T1 is going to be NZ$50 cheaper than the KT then. Now there's a turn around - it's not often Sony is the cheapest!
Techbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 05:30 PM   #7
moffattm
Addict
moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwipippa View Post
Moffattm, where did you read this? I can't see anything on the website. I wonder if they will be in-store or online only?
I received an email from Whitcoulls. It was just their regular email that they send out every few days that lists new books, etc. At the bottom they mentioned the Kobo Touch and they said it would be available in stores from October 3rd.
Old 09-29-2011, 05:32 PM   #8
moffattm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by IxiaAurea View Post
Good news but oof that's expensive
Indeed, too expensive for me (especially since my Kobo 1 is still working just fine).

I expect that the price will drop in time for Christmas, they usually start with a high price to catch the early adopters for whom price isn't a concern.
Old 09-29-2011, 05:52 PM   #9
HarleyB
Fanatic
HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (RIP), iPad, iPhone 4, Kobo Touch x2, Kobo Glo
I think I lot of the early adopters already bought one from overseas! And at half the price!
HarleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 08:49 PM   #10
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Excellent ... WHSmith in the UK at £170 ... redcoon.de in Germany at €149 ... and now New Zealand at NZ$279 (which is NZ$249 before GST or about $199 Canadian).

It is nice to see the Kobo Touch finding retail outlets outside of Canada and the US.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 12:57 AM   #11
rjcroy
Bibliophile
rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kobo Touch
That's good news!
But I feel the $279 is a bit steep. Was expecting lower, considering they are US$130.
rjcroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 02:02 AM   #12
molman
Evangelist
molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Yeah. What's the exchange rate like atm: ~80c to a US$? The SONY T1 is listed for pre-order @ AU$179 delievered so NZ$279 definately seems steep. Even the Kindle 3 (now Kindle Keyboard) is selling for AU$159 (wifi) in store at Disk Smiths 'n Co. I just can't see how the Kobo Touch will sell at that price point? Even more so when the SONY is on the market and the new Kindles go international.
molman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 07:40 PM   #13
kiwipippa
Fanatic

Just played with a kobo touch at the main Queen St Whitcoulls in Auckland. It's a beautiful thing (except for the price!).

They must have hit the stores a few days early, they had hundreds in stock, in various colours. Albany also has them (my son saw them on the way to the rugby last night), but when I phoned Pakuranga they said they weren't putting theirs out until Monday. If you want to check one out over the weekend, I suggest you call first.
Old 09-30-2011, 09:45 PM   #14
molman
Evangelist
molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwipippa View Post
Just played with a kobo touch at the main Queen St Whitcoulls in Auckland. It's a beautiful thing (except for the price!).

They must have hit the stores a few days early, they had hundreds in stock, in various colours. Albany also has them (my son saw them on the way to the rugby last night), but when I phoned Pakuranga they said they weren't putting theirs out until Monday. If you want to check one out over the weekend, I suggest you call first.
It will be nice for people to be able to play with/touch. It really is a nice looking device me'thinks, and I know that being able to see in the flesh (so to speak) served Kobo well when Borders were around.
molman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 12:14 AM   #15
dafrizz
Ultimate Player
dafrizz will become famous soon enoughdafrizz will become famous soon enoughdafrizz will become famous soon enoughdafrizz will become famous soon enoughdafrizz will become famous soon enoughdafrizz will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo 1, Kobo Touch
NZ$279 ???

They have got to be kidding, what a rip-off. How do they justify that price. While Borders US were still delivering to AUS you could get one delivered for AUS$130.
dafrizz is offline   Reply With Quote