Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-09-2010, 06:39 PM   #16
julia103
Connoisseur
julia103 doesn't litterjulia103 doesn't litterjulia103 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505
I don't read much romance, but based on your screen name you might want to try ebooks.eharlequin.com or allromanceebooks.com. Both of those sites sell in multiple formats.
julia103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 07:28 PM   #17
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Here. Smashwords. Manybooks. And anyplace I can get them free, including the shady side.

To anyone having geo restriction problems with sony: just accidentally click that you're in the U.S. Just a slip of the hand when the cat was pushing my elbow, wanting a fuss!
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 01:53 PM   #18
Romantic One
Banned
Romantic One has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Romantic One has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Romantic One has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle
WOW I didn't realize there are so many places.
Romantic One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 02:15 PM   #19
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
I buy from Baen, Fictionwise and Smashwords, and a handful of individual author sites & tiny publishers. I don't buy DRM'd ebooks. (At the moment, I don't even download free DRM'd ebooks, but that's because about six months ago I got a new computer, and I'm not yet up to dealing with DRM software. I'll probably eventually decide it's worth the hassle.)

I get free books from mobileread forums, feedbooks, the Baen free library, fanfiction websites like the fanfic ebook library, individual author sites, publisher promos like the Harlequin freebies, Smashwords, and Project Gutenberg. I don't tend to get them from Munseys or Manybooks because I'm not fond of the site interface, and there's a lot of overlap w/feedbooks & gutenberg.

I'm vaguely looking for sources of free or cheap manga, but only vaguely, because I'm not strongly interested and I'm nowhere near running out of free stuff I want to read.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 02:19 PM   #20
DuncanWatson
Kindle Convert
DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Nook (all)
I have a variety of books from a variety of sources:
  1. Barnes and Noble site
  2. Fictionwise
  3. Baen Books Websubscription
  4. Mobileread EPUB forum
  5. some random darknet .lit converts to epub
There are more to try
  1. Sony's store
  2. Amazon - shifting format to epub (requires cracking drm)
  3. Library ebooks

I only recently bought a reader. I waited this long until I felt that the industry is mature enough that I can continue to get my various author's new releases on my reader (a nook). Since it is now standard for the publisher to get digital rights and the infrastructure means releasing that ebook is now just part of the standard process, I was comfortable enough to convert. I don't plan on buying new paper books this year.

I suspect that there will be more not less stores for me to use as the year goes forward. With Calibre I don't feel that I am tied to a given format either.
-Duncan
DuncanWatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 03:04 PM   #21
mikaelalind
Fanatic
mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, Cybook Odessey
I get most of my books from Kobo, Allromanceebooks and Smashwords.

I used to get freebies from Sony, but they want me to add an adress. sigh.
mikaelalind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 03:43 PM   #22
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikaelalind View Post
I get most of my books from Kobo, Allromanceebooks and Smashwords.
I haven't yet bought from allromanceebooks, because I think everything I was interested in buying from them was also available at Fictionwise in more formats.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 12:03 AM   #23
Romantic One
Banned
Romantic One has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Romantic One has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Romantic One has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Thanks guys you are giving me loads of information.
Old 05-11-2010, 01:43 AM   #24
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Have you checked out the MobileRead Wiki? Full of lots of info, including where to get legit free books and books you can pay money for!

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Main_Page
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 02:49 PM   #25
aagstn
Evangelist
aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3, iPad mini 2
My main source is still Fictionwise despite their problems and the local library's ebook lending. I've been picking up freebies when B&N or Amazon have them, but I haven't bought anything from either.
aagstn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 12:11 AM   #26
Romantic One
Banned

I have gotten most of mine from Amazon.
Old 05-17-2010, 02:27 PM   #27
rumi
rumi began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader 505
1. Bittorrent
2. Rapidshare
3. Out-of-copyright repositories
4. Sony store
rumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 08:28 AM   #28
DarthV
Enthusiast
DarthV began at the beginning.

Device: Nook WiFi
Have to be honest, torrents. But I'm just trying to build my in print collection as digital. There is no way I'd pay for my 1500+ book collection a 2nd time. Fair use, right?

I have never had problems buying books and I will continue to do so once I buy a reader. Where from? Depends on which reader I choose. Thinking very hard on a Nook or a Sony prs-600. Then again both companies will have something new out very soon :P
DarthV is offline   Reply With Quote