Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 05-13-2013, 02:20 PM   #1
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 7, Sony PRS300, Fire HD8 Tablet
suggestions for a 'do-it-yourself' website service

I want to do a website. Nothing elaborate. And nothing time or cost expensive to maintain. But I don't want it to look cheesy either. I see all these sites, some free, some paid. What I'm looking for is a site where I can design it without getting deeply into the html. Any feedback?
Gregg Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 02:25 PM   #2
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Look at WordPress. IMO. Tons of themes you can get to make it look good, easy to use, and can be hosted by just about anyone. My site is in wordpress hosted on my personal server for example.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 12:51 PM   #3
Nancy Fulda
I write stories.
Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Ditto that. Wordpress is quite awesome.

Other free, customizable web sites include blogger, livejournal, and about.me.
Nancy Fulda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 12:56 AM   #4
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

thanks guys
Old 05-17-2013, 01:13 AM   #5
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

a question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy Fulda View Post
Ditto that. Wordpress is quite awesome.

Other free, customizable web sites include blogger, livejournal, and about.me.
Hey Nancy,

You know I've got blogger for a blog. So I can do a website there too?
Old 05-17-2013, 02:46 AM   #6
Nancy Fulda
I write stories.
Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Bell View Post
You know I've got blogger for a blog. So I can do a website there too?
I wasn't aware you were distinguishing between the terms. (A lot of new authors don't, so I've gotten rather used to ignoring the distinction when people ask for advice.)

No, as far as I know, blogger doesn't include tools for menus or static web pages. For that, WordPress is far and away your best bet -- and I would in fact recommend getting your own domain and installing WordPress on it rather than using the less flexible setups at wordpress.com.
Nancy Fulda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 12:39 PM   #7
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy Fulda View Post
I wasn't aware you were distinguishing between the terms. (A lot of new authors don't, so I've gotten rather used to ignoring the distinction when people ask for advice.)

No, as far as I know, blogger doesn't include tools for menus or static web pages. For that, WordPress is far and away your best bet -- and I would in fact recommend getting your own domain and installing WordPress on it rather than using the less flexible setups at wordpress.com.
thanks Nancy
Old 05-17-2013, 02:11 PM   #8
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

A church whose site I host is in wordpress, http://www.cranberrybaptist.org/ as an example.
Old 05-17-2013, 09:31 PM   #9
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

I checked it out

Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
A church whose site I host is in wordpress, http://www.cranberrybaptist.org/ as an example.
Yeah, it was very nice. Plenty sophisticated for what I'll need. So that's the wordpress.com one, though, not the wordpress.org?
Old 05-17-2013, 09:58 PM   #10
VydorScope
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Bell View Post
Yeah, it was very nice. Plenty sophisticated for what I'll need. So that's the wordpress.com one, though, not the wordpress.org?
That is not the wordpress.com hosted version. That is the downloaded and installed on my own server version. There are tons of hosts out there that will host wordpress for you cheaply.I do not know much aobut the wordpress.com hosted version, never used it.
Old 05-17-2013, 10:03 PM   #11
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

okay

Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
That is not the wordpress.com hosted version. That is the downloaded and installed on my own server version. There are tons of hosts out there that will host wordpress for you cheaply.I do not know much aobut the wordpress.com hosted version, never used it.
Thanks Vincent.
Old 05-29-2013, 12:17 AM   #12
James_Wilde
Guru
James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iriver Story
Everybody praises WP, which I have to say I think is not very intuitive. Added to that, it's supposed to be a full-blown crm system as I understand it.

Is there anything else which one can load on a server so that more than one person can access it, but which is much simpler. We have a site of - currently - about 12-14 pages but which we'd like to expand, but I don't think I want to spend time fighting WP or asking my wife to do it either.
James_Wilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 11:57 PM   #13
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

my experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_Wilde View Post
Everybody praises WP, which I have to say I think is not very intuitive. Added to that, it's supposed to be a full-blown crm system as I understand it.

Is there anything else which one can load on a server so that more than one person can access it, but which is much simpler. We have a site of - currently - about 12-14 pages but which we'd like to expand, but I don't think I want to spend time fighting WP or asking my wife to do it either.
I was going to sign up with Wordpress.com. Then, once I was pretty far into the sign-up process, it seemed they were steering me to a paid version. When I went to "Help" it said: 'Oh sorry. We're backlogged with requests and can only reply to paying customers.' I ran for my life. I checked out Host Gator. I loved the UI. They bragged of 24/7 service and an 800 phone number. I called. Heard lots of nice music for five minutes. I checked out GoDaddy. I called them. Someone answered. I signed up. Cheap. Easy. Solid. And real service. I couldn't be happier.
Old 05-31-2013, 01:30 PM   #14
Lazer
Groupie
Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
I've got a Mac and used iWeb and have RageSW host it. iWeb was intuitive and HTML gives me a headache. I've also heard great stories about SquareSpace.

I don't know about web pages done with Wordpress but some processes cause problems when the webpage is viewed on a smartphone. Mine looks fine on an iPhone and I know that sites done with SquareSpace fix this problem.
Lazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 12:16 AM   #15
Pulpmeister
Wizard
Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I run two websites, both of which I created without any training or experience. I used Dreamweaver (quite an ancient edition now, but it does all I want)--a design-layout program akin to Front Page, the web equivalent of a desktop publisher. I almost never look at the HTML.

The things you need to remember are that if you use fancy fonts, there's a big chance that the person on the far end doesn't have them on ther device, and their web browser will default to some other font, with ugly results. And that pictures, when inserted, have to be the right pixel size. No good putting a 4000 pixel image into a 1920 wide page. It gets messy hat way.

For body type and headline fonts, I use Verdana and Georgia, both practicaly universal on PCs, and both very clear on the screen. Fancy fonts are done as graphics.

I bought my domain names, and organised hosting, neither being expensive nor difficult.

I use Filezilla (freeware) to upload.

[promotional links deleted - MODERAT0R]

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 06-04-2013 at 05:07 PM.
Pulpmeister is offline   Reply With Quote