Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 11-29-2012, 09:28 AM   #1
watersailor
watersailor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.watersailor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.watersailor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.watersailor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.watersailor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.watersailor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.watersailor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.watersailor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.watersailor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.watersailor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.watersailor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Calibre Portable 0.9.7 - extraction on win7 - doesn't work

I downloaded the "Calibre Portable 0.9.7" Software. Now I have extracted the .exe file by double-click. After unpacking, immediately the following error message appears:
"Failed to move caliber program folder
access denied
(Error Code: 5) "

A folder "Calibre Portable" with a "caliber-portable.exe, 214KB" has been created.

But when i go to this "unpacked" .exe and start it, there is also an error message:
"Failed to launch the caliber program
The system can not find the path specified.
(Error code: 3) "

INFO:
-have also testet the direct download from the Calibre website. same error
-use 64-bit Windows 7 Prof.
-also testet to run the .exe as admin, also without success
-Even on my other Win7 computers i tried without success

What can I do now? I really want the portable version! ...and i want it, without installing a non-portable first!
watersailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:40 AM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by watersailor View Post
What can I do now? I really want the portable version! ...and i want it, without installing a non-portable first!
I've had similar errors, but I was installing to my local cloud drive, specifically Dropbox. I ended up pausing the dropbox sync function, then it installed fine. Every time I upgrade I just pause syncing prior to executing the install program and it upgrades fine.

Good Luck.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 02:55 PM   #3
watersailor
watersailor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.watersailor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.watersailor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.watersailor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.watersailor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.watersailor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.watersailor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.watersailor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.watersailor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.watersailor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.watersailor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

...thanks for your message, but thats not the failure in my case! Can anybody help me???????????

...please help!

Last edited by watersailor; 11-29-2012 at 05:39 PM.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:26 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
...thanks for your message, but thats not the failure in my case! Can anybody help me???????????

...please help!
where are you 'installing' portable calibre

when you run calibre-portable-installer-0.9.7.exe you should see something like the attached screen shot

You could select an empty thumb drive, or create a new folder somewhere, e.g. in the root of the system drive - eg c:\Calibre. And in that location you should end up with

Code:
Folder  Calibre Library		
Folder  Calibre Settings		
Folder  Calibre	
File    calibre-portable.exe
I just installed Portable Calibre 0.97 to a new HP Laptop, worked fine.

The fact that you have to 'install' calibre portable does NOT mean its not portable. Everything needed to run it is in the folder you create/select, nothing is written elsewhere - eg the registry, or into your user account folder or Program Data folder etc.

As I understand it, the install does some 'configuring' within the nominated location

Don't try to spoof it by extracting things by hand. Just run the .exe, tell it where you want to put it, and it should be done within a couple of minutes.

BR
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	400
Size:	18.2 KB
ID:	97005  
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 02:27 AM   #5
sehlat
Enthusiast
sehlat began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone Marvin, Marvin 3
I'm having the same "failure to move" error code 5 situation in XP. It also destroys my existing portable install, too. This happened with 0.9.7 and now with 0.9.8!
sehlat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 04:10 AM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by sehlat View Post
I'm having the same "failure to move" error code 5 situation in XP. It also destroys my existing portable install, too. This happened with 0.9.7 and now with 0.9.8!
OK, Sounds like you folk have something of a common (non-Microsoft? software) configuration that is tossing the spanner into the works. (I use standard XPpro as main Calibre (install) platform w/portable )
Security software is #1 on my list for culprit.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 06:28 PM   #7
mauricem
mauricem began at the beginning.

Device: none
Disabling McAfee fixed the issue for me

I'm getting the same error.

At first I thought it was Dropbox, so I picked another spot on my hard drive ex. C:\User\Name\Downloads. I got the same error message. Finally, I tried to install it to C:\Temp\ and got the same error. I disabled McAfee Real-Time scanning and it installed successfully. So, in my case, it was McAfee that was killing the install. Hopefully, this helps someone else.

I've attached screenshots of the error and where it failed for me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screencap_6.jpg
Views:	359
Size:	25.3 KB
ID:	97097   Click image for larger version

Name:	screencap_7.jpg
Views:	368
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	97098  
mauricem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 08:53 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I'll add mention of both antivirus and dropbox causing problems to that error message.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 03:57 PM   #9
watersailor

OK, the problem is SOLVED!!!!!

The reason for the described failure in the first post, was my antivirus programm.

After i disabled my "Avira Free Antivirus" over the point "Activate/Deactivate Realtime Scanner", the Calibra Portable Extraction worked fine!

After the extraction i enabled the Avira Realtime Scanner again!

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++

Can anybody help me with some other problems:

1)
I have an Kindel Touch (E-Ink) and i want to use the books of our Online Library. But they deliver the books as ePUB. And die kindle doesnt work with this. I pay for the books and it should be legal to use it also with my kindle. But what can i do, to use that books with my Kinde Touch? Is there a DRM Removal tool (for Free) for Calibre?

2)
My Sister also wants to buy an ebook-Reader. Where can i find a top10 list of an expert??? In my the E-Ing Technology should be better for reading and for the eyes than a backlit device? I also read, that the new Kindle Paperwhite is not as sharp(display) as my Kindle Touch?

3)
Is it possible to read a book in Calibre and on the Kindle in exchange. But if i make marks etc. they will be transfered.

4)
Is it possible to highlight(yellow Background) with the Ebook-Readers and in Calibre? Is it possible that i get a summary of this highlights after i read my book?

thanks a lot

Last edited by watersailor; 12-03-2012 at 04:02 PM.
Old 12-03-2012, 04:42 PM   #10
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
DRM Removal... while we can't discuss it here, just google for "Apprentice Alf".
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:59 PM   #11
watersailor

does anybody else know that "Apprentice Alf" Software? Where can i download ist "without" troyan, worms, virus etc.?

Please help also on my other questions!
Old 12-03-2012, 09:59 PM   #12
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
does anybody else know that "Apprentice Alf" Software? Where can i download ist "without" troyan, worms, virus etc.?
Google Apprentice Alf's blog for the info you seek.

Quote:
Please help also on my other questions!
You should start a new appropriately titled thread for the other questions.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:41 AM   #13
sehlat
Enthusiast
sehlat began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone Marvin, Marvin 3
Another workaround for me turned out to be to install the portable to the root directory and let it set up a virgin Calibre Portable. I then used Total Commander to synchronize the CalibrePortable.exe and \Calibre\ directories, overwriting my live-and-in-use portable directory and leaving my settings and library directories alone.
sehlat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, does not work, extraction, windows 7