Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 08-02-2012, 01:24 AM   #1
pj123
Zealot
pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Tablet 3 Pro, Kobo Aura H2O, Ipad
ipad1 upgrade to ipad3 (the new iPad) or ipad2?

Hi, I have owned my ipad1 since it was available for sell. My iPad 1 still runs perfectly. Now I am debating whether I should upgrade it to iPad 2 or ipad3, or simply keep using iPad1 until ipad4 becomes available. I use iPad for reading pdf documents (scientific papers) (no movies, games, etc.). Is it worth to buy a new iPad? If yes, should I get an ipad2 or iPad 3. By reading the previous posts in the forum, I found ipad3 has problems of overheating and short battery life. Is that really true even for reading PDF documents? Would iPad 3 hurt my eyes less for long time reading than iPad 1/2? Thanks for any advice.
pj123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 10:10 AM   #2
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by pj123 View Post
Hi, I have owned my ipad1 since it was available for sell. My iPad 1 still runs perfectly. Now I am debating whether I should upgrade it to iPad 2 or ipad3, or simply keep using iPad1 until ipad4 becomes available. I use iPad for reading pdf documents (scientific papers) (no movies, games, etc.). Is it worth to buy a new iPad? If yes, should I get an ipad2 or iPad 3. By reading the previous posts in the forum, I found ipad3 has problems of overheating and short battery life. Is that really true even for reading PDF documents? Would iPad 3 hurt my eyes less for long time reading than iPad 1/2? Thanks for any advice.
No, it doesn't have such problems.
There were overheating reports at launch which all seem to track back to the same original story, which said that it ran hotter than the iPad 2, not that it an actual issue with failing due to overheating. The rest is just FUD.
I find the battery life to be similar to the iPad 1.
For just reading, I don't see a huge advantage in switching from 1 to 2, unless you have complex documents that the better processor in the 2 would render more quickly.
The 3 adds a much higher resolution screen, and would certainly be nicer to read on than the 1, but whether that is worth of the cost of upgrading is hard for someone else to say for you.
Best bet is to pop into an Apple store and have a play with one.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 01:25 PM   #3
jswinden
Nameless Being

If your eyes work well with the iPad1 then upgrading might not be that beneficial to you. If reading on the iPad1 is an issue, as it was for me, then the iPad3 is definitely worth the upgrade. The iPad2 was not much of an upgrade from the iPad1, so I would not consider that option as worth while.
Old 08-02-2012, 01:54 PM   #4
HistoryWes
Teacher/Novelist
HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR, iPad
Just got my iPad 3, and passed my iPad 1 down to my daughter. I love it. I gather the performance jump from 2 to 3 isn't that great. But from 1 to 3, it certainly is. The screen is less impressive than I thought it would be but it certainly is nice.
HistoryWes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 12:52 AM   #5
pj123
Zealot
pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Tablet 3 Pro, Kobo Aura H2O, Ipad
Hello, murraypaul, jswinden, HistoryWes, Thank you all very much for the very helpful suggestions. I will buy a new ipad3 and pass the ipad1 to my 7yr old son.
pj123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 02:47 PM   #6
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj123 View Post
Hello, murraypaul, jswinden, HistoryWes, Thank you all very much for the very helpful suggestions. I will buy a new ipad3 and pass the ipad1 to my 7yr old son.
You'll enjoy it. I wish the iPad had been around when I was 7. We didn't even have pocket calculators way back then, I had to use a slide rule in HS!
Old 08-04-2012, 08:49 PM   #7
immapestomaniac
immapestomaniac is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.immapestomaniac is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.immapestomaniac is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.immapestomaniac is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.immapestomaniac is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.immapestomaniac is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.immapestomaniac is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.immapestomaniac is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.immapestomaniac is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.immapestomaniac is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.immapestomaniac is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: iPhone
Upgrading is the best of course! Personally, I don't like selling my pre-loved devices so the suggestions of passing it to your son or to your younger siblings/relatives is more ideal. You still get to see that sweet thing around, while holding your sweetER iPad 3, haha! Good luck!
immapestomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 02:54 AM   #8
MissKittiness
Achievement Unlocked!
MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
The way I see it with things like this is to skip a generation. So if you have the iPad, upgrade to the iPad 3. If you have the iPad 2, wait for the iPad 4 (if you're like me and don't notice the retina display :P), if you have the iPad 3, wait a while longer for the iPad 5.
MissKittiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 12:31 PM   #9
Timoleon
Time Enough at Last
Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3, iPhone 5, Kindle 3, Fire, Sony PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
You'll enjoy it. I wish the iPad had been around when I was 7. We didn't even have pocket calculators way back then, I had to use a slide rule in HS!
You must be one of the "Old Ones", heard about in myth. Some joker told me once that he had heard someone say that the desks at school used to have a little round hole in the top right corner where something called an "inkwell" was kept. You would "dip in the nub" and "fill up the barrel." I say preposterous!!! Why spread such false rumors around...?
Timoleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 01:51 PM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timoleon View Post
You must be one of the "Old Ones", heard about in myth. Some joker told me once that he had heard someone say that the desks at school used to have a little round hole in the top right corner where something called an "inkwell" was kept. You would "dip in the nub" and "fill up the barrel." I say preposterous!!! Why spread such false rumors around...?
Ancient history indeed . We always used to have to write using inkpens in school - they were thought to result in better writing than ball-point pens. Very hard to write without smearing the ink if, like me, you're left-handed.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 05:56 PM   #11
Delotte231
Connoisseur
Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Ancient history indeed . We always used to have to write using inkpens in school - they were thought to result in better writing than ball-point pens. Very hard to write without smearing the ink if, like me, you're left-handed.
Which makes me glad to not have been born in that era. I simply despise writing. especially on a pencil as it keeps smudging and getting my hand dirty. haha. That is probably the reason why I have one of the worst penmanship in my class. being left handed is troublesome indeed.
Delotte231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 07:29 PM   #12
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Ballpoints were definitely frowned upon. The worst of the inkwell was the boy who sat next to you and would put blotting paper in your inkwell so that when you dipped your nib, a bit of blotting paper would attach (and you wouldnt notice until you got blots all over your workbook).
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 02:22 AM   #13
MissKittiness
Achievement Unlocked!
MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Inkwells? Nibs? Blotting paper?

Wha?!
MissKittiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 08:58 PM   #14
jswinden
Nameless Being

As another left hander I usually got more ink on me than the paper, and what ink got on the paper got smeared! And those half sized desktops fitted to the right side of the chairs were really annoying and difficult to use.
Old 08-12-2012, 10:16 AM   #15
tdmsu
Enthusiast
tdmsu began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox Nova2
I read a story that said schools in Indiana, USA are going to stop teaching handwriting, and focus instead on keyboarding.
http://www.indystar.com/article/2011...ursive-writing

Do you think this is a good or bad thing? Why?

Even though I was never good at handwriting, it almost seems a shame to not even teach it anymore. I guess the only time most people use it is when signing their name, but how long will we have to do that anymore with the advent of nfc and phone-based credit card swiping?
tdmsu is offline   Reply With Quote