Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-21-2007, 03:58 PM   #16
edsohsmith
Connoisseur
edsohsmith began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 505 (soon)
Seriously though, I love the "pay what you can", work, attitude, philosophy, you have adopted Kovid. It is mainly for this reason I that I have donated to your work, even before being able to sample your offerings.

I wish that the ebook reader sellers would take "a page from your book". Sorry, sorry for the bad pun.

Anyway, I hope to order a Reader in the next week or two to really enjoy the fruits of your labor.
edsohsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 04:00 PM   #17
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
I'm planning on writing html2prc and it should have near feature parity with html2lrf
I would love to see the html2prc up and running!

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 04:07 PM   #18
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Well, it's unfortunate the moderators feel that way. Without a Kindle, it's unlikely libprs500 will support USB syncing to the device. However, I will still work on html2prc, it will just take longer to reach feature parity with html2lrf since my only motivation to do it now, is the fun of figuring out the PRC format.

And I do appreciate all of you that have shown your support by donating to me and/or the chip-in. Having people use my software and show their appreciation of it is a big source of motivation for a project that I started as a hobby.

@edsohsmith
Yes, I use open source software every day in my work and play, and this is my way of giving back to the community. It also ensures that the software keeps getting better, so that when I use it, I benefit as well.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 04:39 PM   #19
tsgreer
Lovin' the e-book life...
tsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with others

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Sony PRS-505, Amazon Kindle, BeBook (with OpenInkpot)
Well for now the html2prc would do wonders for me if it's anything like html2lrf. Your html2lrf was freakin' awesome. I'm donating as soon as I get home...

I disagree with the big meanie moderators as well...
tsgreer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 04:50 PM   #20
Lov2Read
Book Connoisseur
Lov2Read is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony Reader 505
Quote:
Well, it's unfortunate the moderators feel that way.
Yes it is. And with all due respect to the moderators, it is rather silly they feel that way as well.
Lov2Read is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 05:08 PM   #21
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Can I use the New York Times aggregator to get a html file to put on my Gen3?

And for the Kindle can't you just mail the html file to the Kindle?
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 05:35 PM   #22
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The aggregator creates a tree of HTML files, not a single one.
Old 11-21-2007, 06:42 PM   #23
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
If anyone wants to give Kovid money, check out his homepage. He has a link for Paypal.
I went to his homepage listed in his profile and I don't see a Paypal button.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 06:48 PM   #24
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallMomof2 View Post
I went to his homepage listed in his profile and I don't see a Paypal button.
It's an orange button that says "Donate" in the top right area of https://libprs500.kovidgoyal.net/
Old 11-21-2007, 07:10 PM   #25
Zoot
Connoisseur
Zoot began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle
Just threw $25 your way as a contribution towards the Kindle, or some beer, or whatever

Z.
Zoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 07:18 PM   #26
tsgreer
tsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with others

I donated too. You know, Kovid, if you make a successful html2prc that works on a mac, your software will officially be the first .prc creator that works on Macs. That will help even the non-kindle people in the world...
Old 11-21-2007, 07:25 PM   #27
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsgreer View Post
I donated too. You know, Kovid, if you make a successful html2prc that works on a mac, your software will officially be the first .prc creator that works on Macs. That will help even the non-kindle people in the world...
Well, almost true. The .prc extension is also used by eReader and they already have a version for the mac. .prc and .pdb are the only extensions permitted in ram on a Palm device so lots of tools double up on extensions. The real file type is determined by a resource check similar to other mac tools check PDB in the wiki for more data.

Actually on a pc mobiPocket prefers the .mobi extension.

Dale

Last edited by DaleDe; 11-21-2007 at 07:26 PM. Reason: add .mobi
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 07:39 PM   #28
tsgreer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Well, almost true. The .prc extension is also used by eReader and they already have a version for the mac. .prc and .pdb are the only extensions permitted in ram on a Palm device so lots of tools double up on extensions. The real file type is determined by a resource check similar to other mac tools check PDB in the wiki for more data.

Actually on a pc mobiPocket prefers the .mobi extension.

Dale
Oh I didn't know that, thank you for the clarification. My ereader files on my mac have .pdb extension. All of the .prc files on my computer seem to be mobipocket, so I'll try to be more specific.
Old 11-21-2007, 07:41 PM   #29
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
The aggregator creates a tree of HTML files, not a single one.
For fun I tested libprs500. But I could not find how to get news from the command line and I could not find out how to get news and keep the HTML files so is this a feature that does not exist yet? I wanted to play around with the HTML files and also future firmware for Gen3 will probably support a tree of HTML files.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 08:02 PM   #30
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
This would help out iLiad owners too, I think.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote