Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-23-2013, 01:35 PM   #16666
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I have never read them although they are on my TBR list.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 03:36 PM   #16667
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
I know. As are cheap shots at McD's and Yuppies. But if you can't make fun of something fun, what CAN you make fun of?!?

There is a 3-hour way to remedy that...
I found it to be a fast paced, enjoyable story. I didn't question the accuracy. I wasn't reading it for a school test. Nor was I expecting another Dickens, Homer, or Hemingway. I was expecting a good mystery/action bus-ride read, and that's what I got. I'd be interested to hear your reaction to it. It wouldn't take much time to read it. Give it a go, and let's hear what you discovered. I've since read all of Brown's other stuff. A couple were good, one was pretty poor, but only because it was too 'formula.'

Stitchawl
You beat me to a reply on this. I will openly admit, My son and I did enjoy reading Dan Brown's book. It wasn't great literature, but a great escape adventure. We did go on to read his others and, like you, did find some were OK and I think one was pretty meh (I don't remember which one). Sometimes you just read to escape and be on the ride (it helps when you don't have to think too much when reading too).
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 03:55 PM   #16668
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
Time for something different though: The Man with Two Left Feet by PG Wodehouse. This contains the first Jeeves story which I was reminded of when I saw these mentioned in another thread. I had been intending on reading these at some point and now is as good a time as any.
That was excellent. I really wish there were more "Mixer" stories, but I don't see any listed in other collections. If anyone knows of more, please let me know.

I started My Man Jeeves this morning and so far it has been very good too. I am only a couple stories in, but Jeeves is definitely a winner. The final scene of Jeeves and the Unbidden Guest had me in stitches. As Bertie Wooster says "Do you know, Jeeves, you're-well, you absolutely stand alone!"

I may need to hold off on continuing this book for a bit though because my hold of Among Others by Jo Walton just came in at the library - I was #11 on the list yesterday, so several people must have cancelled theirs. I am interested enough to read this one whether or not it wins the book club.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 05:06 PM   #16669
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
I have to admit... I thoroughly enjoyed 'The Da Vinci Code.' (I also admit to enjoying Big Mac's and Domino's Pizza, and refuse to tie the sleeves of my sweater around my neck. )

Stitchawl
Ha... Nice...

How is the new dominoes pizza? I haven't yet tasted it since they went through their renaissance .

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 05:13 PM   #16670
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazella View Post
What do you think of this one so far?
I am finding it surprisingly readable. The version I have is from Google Play, published in 1878 by George Routledge and Sons.

I'm reading it on the "Play Books" reader which I guess is the Google reader, and the presentation is modernized from the version shown if you access the same book via PC:

http://books.google.com/books?id=KW0...page&q&f=false

Last edited by Xanthe; 05-23-2013 at 05:20 PM.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 05:45 PM   #16671
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
I am currently listening/reading Starship Troopers by Robert Heinlein. I'm about 40% of the way in and enjoying it so far. This is a first person book that follows a soldier from high school, through military training and through his career as a space infantry soldier.

No, I would never equate a book to a movie. Most movies are only loosely based on the book whose name they share. I happen to like the first movie in the series. It seems more based on a comic book than a book.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 09:03 PM   #16672
LovesMacs
Fanatic
LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kindle Touch
I am almost finished with The Brendan Voyage by Tim Severin. The author describes his attempt to recreate the sixth century legendary voyage by Saint Brendan from Ireland to North America using a leather boat built following traditional techniques.

I bought this after watching a History Channel documentary on many other people who may have preceded Christopher Columbus in reaching the Americas. Some of them have convincing evidence, such as the Vikings. Some have intriguing possibilities but less substantial evidence, such as Polynesian sailors and the subject of this book, St. Brendan.

I expected to read about the difficulties of sailing a small boat vast distances in the North Atlantic. What I didn't expect were the many heartwarming anecdotes of how total strangers and sometimes entire villages would turn out to provide support for the author's seemingly quixotic project. There's also much food for thought about how well handcrafted traditional materials hold up when compared to modern synthetics. I'm very glad I took a chance on this book.

Now to find something else to read...
LovesMacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 09:39 PM   #16673
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Ha... Nice...

How is the new dominoes pizza? I haven't yet tasted it since they went through their renaissance .

BOb
You're asking this of me? A guy who lives where Dominoe's number one seller is squid/mayonaise/corn pizza?
They are surprised when I ask for pepperoni, Italian sausage, and mozzarella cheese and garlic.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 05:46 AM   #16674
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
People are always so surprised at the ingredients found on Japanese Pizzas.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 05:51 AM   #16675
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
People are always so surprised at the ingredients found on Japanese Pizzas.
Apache
You can bet on corn, you'll almost never be wrong
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 06:45 AM   #16676
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
School of Light by Jody Lynn Nye, bought 29 Jan 2002. I have a feeling I might have read this at some point. If I have I'll skip it and move on.
An interesting setting, although the story has a slow start. Second in a series, so I had started to read it long ago, but stopped when I realised it was the second in the series. However, I'm unlikely to be buying the first in the series any time soon, so this time I read it.

Being the second isn't a problem, as this is a separate story, not a continuation of the first book. An average read, so I'm still unlikely to get others in the series.

Next up: Eight Million Gods by Wen Spencer, bought this month.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 11:50 AM   #16677
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
You're asking this of me? A guy who lives where Dominoe's number one seller is squid/mayonaise/corn pizza?
They are surprised when I ask for pepperoni, Italian sausage, and mozzarella cheese and garlic.

Stitchawl
Um... yes...

Actually, a Corn, Potato, Bacon and Mayo pizza sounds interesting. Do they put the mayo on it before they bake it?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 12:51 PM   #16678
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Next up: Eight Million Gods by Wen Spencer, bought this month.
I'll be interested on your take when you're done. And I'd be especially interested in Stitchawl's take since he has lived for so long in Japan as a gaijin.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 01:13 PM   #16679
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
The new Domino's pizza has a more garlicy taste. I think it's an improvement from the previous recipe.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 01:56 PM   #16680
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
I finally finished Rainbows End by Vernor Vinge last night. I've been a bit bogged down with it, and missed a few days when I was away for the weekend, but I basically liked it. The main issues were that it was kind of bitty, and it wasn't all that clear who the good guys were for quite a long while. This was a Hugo winner in the mid-00s. It's a relatively near future thriller heavy on the network technology.

To take a break from that, I also read The Murder of Roger Ackroyd by Agatha Christie earlier this week. I think my expectations were a bit too keyed up, and I always suspected the eventual murderer, but it was fun getting there.

I have the next Hugo winner and the next Poirot both sitting beside me on the coffee table (both pbooks), and I'll probably start one or both of them very shortly.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote