Notices

Old 07-22-2010, 07:44 AM   #1
Ad2
Enthusiast
Ad2 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Firmware/Software updates - overseas Nooks

Hi everyone

I am new here. I have done a search but couldn't find a thread explaining this.

My question is - how do I update the Nook with firmware/software updates if I live overseas? I have tried using HotSpotShield (and a couple of others) to register on the B&N website with my CC using a US address but i always get the message registration failed authorization because i live outside the US.

Is there anywhere else I can get updates?

Thank you in advance.
Ad2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 08:36 AM   #2
:D ominik
Groupie
:D ominik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.:D ominik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.:D ominik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.:D ominik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: nook
You can register your nook without US-IP address using the WiFi connection. There isn't any IP validation while registering. There are 3 possible reasons:

1.) mail address and/or password are wrong

2.) B&N servers are down

3.) The date settings on your nook are totally wrong, resulting in an error while establishing a secure connection to the B&N servers. The nook doesn't accept the certificate issued by the server, cause your nook is somewhere in year 2000, but the certificate is valid from 2009 to ...
The nook uses the cellular network, to get the current date & time. Since you are outside the US, your nook can't connect to the cellular network. B&N modified the firmware with v1.2 to get date & time over WiFi using a NTP daemon. Make sure your nook uses the newest firmware. And make sure your router allows port 123/UDP to pass through. If this doesn't work, you can softroot your nook, to set the date manually: http://nookdevs.com/Tips_and_tricks#International_Tips
:D ominik is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-22-2010, 10:08 AM   #3
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
You can download the 1.4 firmware from the B&N website, and use the USB connection to install it on your Nook. See the following link:
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nook/s...?cds2Pid=30195
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 01:34 AM   #4
Ad2
Enthusiast
Ad2 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Thanks dominik, geertm

I will try that on the weekend.
Ad2 is offline   Reply With Quote