Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-27-2010, 06:11 PM   #1
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Sony to challenge Apple in Japan with e-reader

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20100527...ediatechnology

Quote:
Sony said Thursday it will launch an e-reader in Japan and set up a platform for newspapers, books, comics and magazines, challenging rival Apple a day before its iPad goes on sale in the country.

The move comes a day before the launch of the iPad in Japan and other countries outside the United States, where print media face a steady decline in advertising and have turned to e-readers as a chance for new revenue.

Sony, which has already started e-Book businesses in the United States, plans to sell e-readers in Japan by the end of this year to mark its return to the market after it virtually withdrew from the business there in 2007.
Welcome..back?
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 06:22 PM   #2
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
Will this be a re-tooled Daily Edition or something new?

Luqman
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-27-2010, 08:13 PM   #3
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
It's Sony....probably their new flagship reader.
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 08:28 PM   #4
mbagsh55
Enthusiast
mbagsh55 doesn't littermbagsh55 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-700/Zaurus SL-3100
As a long time Sony Reader user, I have no doubts that Sony can release a worthwhile hardware reader, but the problems with the Librie were not the device but the lack of worthwhile content.

The book industry here in Japan appears from the outside to be a cartel. I very rarely see Japanese books at reduced price even amazon.co.jp struggles to do much than a few percent with free delivery. Conversely the second-hand market is strong mostly due to the chain store "book off" - although again there is a certain amount of price fixing based on the original book price given a single very dominant player.

If Toppan / Asahi / KDDI and Sony can somehow convince the Japanese book industry to release eBooks without draconian restrictions I would be very interested. If like with the Librie content it is time-limited content that I cannot unlock, then I am not interested and I would be surprised if it results in new success for Sony.

I wish Sony the best of luck and hope that fear of losing out makes the book industry at least a bit more flexible than it has been in the past.
mbagsh55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 06:22 AM   #5
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Sony to challenge Apple in Japan with e-reader
Since when is Apple on the e-reader market ?
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-29-2010, 07:47 AM   #6
SameOldStory
My True Self
SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
It seems that many things can be used to read books. I remember seeing, somewhere that people can even read on cell phones.

Well, IF that is possible then perhaps you can read on the ipad.

Just guessing.

PS- that is made by apple, isn’t it?
SameOldStory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 08:07 AM   #7
m-reader
Guru
m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-300. PRS-650, PRS-900, iPad2, Iconia A500, Irex Iliad (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
Yup. According to Steve Jobs people don't read books any longer .

Good on you Sony! I personally think it's going to be a Vaio tablet - but Sony has been known to surprise in the past.
m-reader is offline   Reply With Quote