Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-26-2009, 09:49 AM   #1
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
eBooks in Australian libraries

In my experience eBooks in Australia are a rare thing, but I was pleased to find recently that the ACT Library has a ebook library! http://ebooks.library.act.gov.au/
Has anyone in the ACT tried this out with a ereader (particularly with a Sony Reader, given that it uses Adobe PDF)?
Is anyone familiar with anything else like it in any other Australian library?
It's a real shame it is only available in the ACT...
(The Australian Capital Territory to Australia as is the District of Columbia is to the United States of America, only the ACT is more than 15 times larger and has a population of about 314000, about half the population.)

Last edited by AprilHare; 08-26-2009 at 09:52 AM.
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 10:16 AM   #2
RobbieClarken
Addict
RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
The ACT eBook Library is powered by OverDrive. There are a few others in Australia - you can find a list here. None in Vic unfortunately.

Lots of universities also have digital collections (usually restricted to staff and students). Monash Uni has access to 'Ebook Library' which uses Adobe Digital Editions so should be compatible with some digital readers (or, with the help of i♥cabbages' script, any reader which supports PDFs ).
RobbieClarken is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-28-2009, 01:01 AM   #3
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieClarken View Post
The ACT eBook Library is powered by OverDrive. There are a few others in Australia - you can find a list here. None in Vic unfortunately.

Lots of universities also have digital collections (usually restricted to staff and students). Monash Uni has access to 'Ebook Library' which uses Adobe Digital Editions so should be compatible with some digital readers (or, with the help of i♥cabbages' script, any reader which supports PDFs ).
The Sony ebook library service uses OverDrive?
I won't be signing up to Monash Uni just to access a ebook library..
Old 08-28-2009, 04:16 AM   #4
tech_au
Oz Bookworm
tech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony PRS 505,PRS 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieClarken View Post
If you check the listing for Brisbane you see that it is also run by the Yarra Plenty Regional Library Melbourne. SO that means Victorians should have access to it. They have also started to provide EPUB titles in their library. Interesting that they specifically state that they are Sony Reader compatible files in a banner when Sony haven't come to Australia yet.
They also don't have anywhere in their terms and conditions that this library is only available to people in local region like so many other libraries so maybe they will let me join from Newcastle.
tech_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 05:18 AM   #5
RobbieClarken
Addict
RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilHare View Post
The Sony ebook library service uses OverDrive?
I won't be signing up to Monash Uni just to access a ebook library..
Sony's eBook store doesn't use OverDrive but ePubs and PDFs from OverDrive libraries should work on the PRS-505. I don't think the PRS-500 supports ePubs but you can easily deDRM and format shift.

Many university libraries have visitor accounts for the public. I've no idea if these would allow access to eBook collections though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech_au View Post
If you check the listing for Brisbane you see that it is also run by the Yarra Plenty Regional Library Melbourne. SO that means Victorians should have access to it.
Thanks for the pointer! I've applied for a library card which they say they'll post to me. Hopefully it wont require a drive across town to activate it considering I don't plan on borrowing any physical books from them.

Last edited by RobbieClarken; 08-28-2009 at 05:20 AM.
RobbieClarken is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-31-2009, 04:26 AM   #6
AprilHare
Wizard

Quote:
If you check the listing for Brisbane you see that it is also run by the Yarra Plenty Regional Library Melbourne. SO that means Victorians should have access to it. They have also started to provide EPUB titles in their library. Interesting that they specifically state that they are Sony Reader compatible files in a banner when Sony haven't come to Australia yet.
They also don't have anywhere in their terms and conditions that this library is only available to people in local region like so many other libraries so maybe they will let me join from Newcastle.
Did you give it a go, and did you have any luck?
I'm in NSW too..
Old 08-31-2009, 11:57 AM   #7
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Three or four years ago, April, my own wee publishing house took over ebook publishers Jacobyte Books in Melbourne, so we have many Australian authors and books with a distinctly OZ touch. Pop into www.bewrite.net and take your pick. Drop me an email of what you want and I'll be more than happy to send the book/s over as email attachments free of charge. It's a fair swap for all the advice I'm getting here at MR. Cheers. Neil

PS: If you want me to recommend some of our titles by Oz authors, just holler. N
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 09:38 AM   #8
billingd
Enthusiast
billingd shines like a glazed doughnut.billingd shines like a glazed doughnut.billingd shines like a glazed doughnut.billingd shines like a glazed doughnut.billingd shines like a glazed doughnut.billingd shines like a glazed doughnut.billingd shines like a glazed doughnut.billingd shines like a glazed doughnut.billingd shines like a glazed doughnut.billingd shines like a glazed doughnut.billingd shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
If you check the listing for Brisbane you see that it is also run by the Yarra Plenty Regional Library Melbourne. SO that means Victorians should have access to it. They have also started to provide EPUB titles in their library.
I am a member of Yarra Plenty Regional Library. I live outside the catchment zone (but still in Melbourne). I have just checked out a couple of ebooks - one epub and one pdf - to my Windows PC. No problems.

A quick flick through the catalog shows they have at least 1200 ebooks available.

Last edited by billingd; 05-27-2010 at 09:40 AM. Reason: correct misinformation
billingd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 02:13 PM   #9
iandix
Addict
iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.

Device: nook touch a Nook 3g (rooted) and a nookcolor (rooted)
well I'm also in NSW (just south of Newcastle) I have noticed that Ashfield in Sydney has epub books and you don't have to live in the area.

http://elibrary247.lib.overdrive.com...en/Default.htm

SO next time I'm in Ashfield I might pop in and sign up, just to give it a try :-)
iandix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 11:29 PM   #10
Mcsmith
Mcsmith began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Hi all,

I'm a member of the ACT Library and have always been an avid borrower but am now also using their 'eBook' and 'audiobook' lending service. Probably more for the audiobooks as my daughter it quite taken with the concept of having books on her iPod. I have been listening to Ellis Peters and don't think you ever get too old to have a story read to you!

The few books I've borrowed have been quick to download and are duely selfdeleted at the due date - you get a choice of 14 or 21 days borrowing. They also only lend out a certain number at a time so I have had to wait for a couple of titles which seems a funny construct.

My brother works in the mining industry and he is looking to join this sort of library so reading this thread I am amazed that there has been so little uptake for the idea in Australia and will try to get him into my local library!

Cheers,
Mcsmith
Mcsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 11:58 PM   #11
SneakySnake
I'm watching you!
SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-900(unused lately) iPadAir2, want me Kindle Oasis

My mum is in the Caboolture region. i wonder if I can borrow on her account.

It only seems to have audio files

Last edited by SneakySnake; 06-07-2010 at 12:01 AM.
SneakySnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 02:25 PM   #12
m-reader
Guru
m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-300. PRS-650, PRS-900, iPad2, Iconia A500, Irex Iliad (sold)
Melbourne City Library is also running OverDrive. Unfortunately I can't register from overseas . I'll have to register next time I go home.
m-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 05:55 PM   #13
billingd
Enthusiast
billingd shines like a glazed doughnut.billingd shines like a glazed doughnut.billingd shines like a glazed doughnut.billingd shines like a glazed doughnut.billingd shines like a glazed doughnut.billingd shines like a glazed doughnut.billingd shines like a glazed doughnut.billingd shines like a glazed doughnut.billingd shines like a glazed doughnut.billingd shines like a glazed doughnut.billingd shines like a glazed doughnut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m-reader View Post
Melbourne City Library is also running OverDrive. Unfortunately I can't register from overseas . I'll have to register next time I go home.
Audio books only.
Old 06-08-2010, 07:49 AM   #14
iphitus
iphitus has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.iphitus has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.iphitus has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.iphitus has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: K2i
Quote:
As mentioned earlier Yarra Plenty Library has OverDrive eBooks. While I live 30km away, I visit the area and their libraries pretty regularly. They let me sign up when I visited one of the branches, no questions whatsoever about the distance.

Last year I emailed the Canberra library, they said I could only sign up if I was an ACT resident or regularly visited.
iphitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 07:10 AM   #15
billingd
Enthusiast

Quote:
Melbourne City Library is now offering ebooks. Until recently they only offered audio books.