Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-28-2013, 03:55 PM   #706
James_Wilde
Guru
James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iriver Story
Thanks Doc.

But, boy, did I have a problem finding where it had gone to!
James_Wilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 02:51 PM   #707
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Here's one to stump the panel. It's certainly stumped me for years, at any rate. It's the story of a catatonic schizophrenic told in the first person, and I haven't the foggiest notion of the author's name. The following quotation from the book's opening is probably so way off target as to be laughable, as it's quoted from a reading that took place probably 45 years ago, but here's the way I remember it:

Quote:
Who am I. They said I was a tonic. A tonic? Yes, they said I was cat tonic. A tonic for cats. No, that's not right. It was something else. "Cat O'Tonic", an Irish name. That's who I am. I'm catatonic!
I thought the name of the book was Cat, but a search of that name brought up nothing.

Does anyone have any ideas?
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-03-2013, 03:03 PM   #708
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I thought the name of the book was Cat, but a search of that name brought up nothing.

Have you tried searching for "pussy"?
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 12:15 PM   #709
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Sorry I can't help you, Tom, but I'm very impresssed that you remember so well something you read or heard 45 years ago.

Mike
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 12:57 PM   #710
Witty Username
Addict
Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Kobo Touch, Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Here's one to stump the panel. It's certainly stumped me for years, at any rate. It's the story of a catatonic schizophrenic told in the first person, and I haven't the foggiest notion of the author's name. The following quotation from the book's opening is probably so way off target as to be laughable, as it's quoted from a reading that took place probably 45 years ago, but here's the way I remember it:

I think you are right about the title - the book is Cat by Theodore Isaac Rubin, published in 1966. I found some info online:

http://hsl.med.nyu.edu/bryant/details/303

And Library Thing has this:

http://www.librarything.com/work/2538225/reviews

There are used copies for sale on amazon.com

Last edited by Witty Username; 12-04-2013 at 01:14 PM.
Witty Username is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-04-2013, 10:44 PM   #711
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witty Username View Post
I think you are right about the title - the book is Cat by Theodore Isaac Rubin, published in 1966. I found some info online:

Thanks! I just ordered a copy. It will be nice to get reacquainted with it after all these years and see just how far off the mark my "quote" of that passage was!
Old 12-16-2013, 05:35 PM   #712
Syncman
Syncman began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
Any idea who wrote "Opal Fever" about hunting opals in Australia. Cant find any info.
Syncman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 05:44 PM   #713
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syncman View Post
Any idea who wrote "Opal Fever" about hunting opals in Australia. Cant find any info.
Several searchs find a book by Nicolas Miles. But, I don't see any description about it, so I'm not sure if it is the same book.

http://books.google.com/books/about/...d=Y5cpAAAACAAJ

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 08:41 PM   #714
Hoyt Clagwell
Not an Addict
Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The blue one next to the fish.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syncman View Post
Perhaps this may be it.

http://digital.slv.vic.gov.au/view/a...e&usePid2=true

Here is the synopsis of the one written by Nicholas Miles.

Quote:
An Opal buyer is robbed of $150,000 worth of gems. The thieves bury the gems and then hide out in an opal mining town to wait for the furor to die down. But Opal mining gets into a personʼs blood. ". fostering a deep love and loyalty in some, and overpowering greed and jealousy in others. " – From the front fold over panel blurb.
http://www.thebooklady.co.nz/product...oducts_id=4589
Hoyt Clagwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 09:07 PM   #715
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
I know there was Peter Straub ...

There is book I read years ago (Circa 1991) that I believe was cowritten by Peter Straub and Stephen King .. but it might have just been Straub. It was a YA Horror about a camp for kids. In the end ...
Spoiler:
the girl was the consciousness in a computer but the boy was able to make it home safe and communicate with her.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 05:10 AM   #716
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
There is book I read years ago (Circa 1991) that I believe was cowritten by Peter Straub and Stephen King .. but it might have just been Straub. It was a YA Horror about a camp for kids. In the end ...
Spoiler:
the girl was the consciousness in a computer but the boy was able to make it home safe and communicate with her.
I can't be a lot of help, but it doesn't really sound like Straub or King to me (the only co-written books by them, that I know of, are The Talisman and Black House, and it's not either of those). I ran this past my wife, who has read more Straub than me, and it's not familiar to her either. How sure are you that it was Peter Straub?
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 03:45 PM   #717
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
I can't be a lot of help, but it doesn't really sound like Straub or King to me (the only co-written books by them, that I know of, are The Talisman and Black House, and it's not either of those). I ran this past my wife, who has read more Straub than me, and it's not familiar to her either. How sure are you that it was Peter Straub?
Well, I would say pretty certain, but ...
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 05:56 PM   #718
Syncman
Syncman began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
Opal Fever by Nicholas Miles. Many thanks. Been looking, but no digital version. May have to buy paperback. Thanks again.
Syncman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 03:16 PM   #719
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:

Quote:
Who am I. They said I was a tonic. A tonic? Yes, they said I was cat tonic. A tonic for cats. No, that's not right. It was something else. "Cat O'Tonic", an Irish name. That's who I am. I'm catatonic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witty Username View Post

Quote:
Thanks! I just ordered a copy. It will be nice to get reacquainted with it after all these years and see just how far off the mark my "quote" of that passage was!
And it was quite far off, indeed. What can I say? I originally read the book in 1968 while at the hospital at Ft. Jackson, South Carolina recuperating from two bouts of upper respiration infection that had been followed by pneumonia. Here's the actual opening of Cat by Theodore Isaac Rubin:

His arms went on doing their work. Since they were no longer part of him, he wasn't tired. They could go on and on holding up his hands. He thought, my hands my hands—the hands, the fingers. The arms, hands, fingers—they weren't his—not anymore. They just were, by themselves—and they did the job. The fingers pressed against his closed eyelids. The eyes were still his. The fingers held them in. He had a pact with the fingers. They promised him not to let his eyes fall out.

His arm was touched. He screamed—he didn't want to lose his eyeballs. He heard the voices. He heard CAT—the word cat. Then, what seemed a while afterward, he heard TONIC—the word tonic. He thought, cat tonic—cat tonic. Then he thought, health tonic. Then a voice said catotonic—putting an O between the words and putting the words together into one word. But it didn't make sense. Then it made sense. Cat O'Tonic, an Irish name—but he wasn't Irish. And his first name wasn't Cat. He kept hearing the voices. He heard the word EXCITEMENT. Another voice put the name and the new word together. He heard—Cat O'Tonic excitement. Then he heard a voice screaming, and it screamed louder and louder. Now he heard the words—''I can't see, see, see, see, see, see. I can't see.'' He heard another voice say, "If he is so frantic about seeing, why doesn't he take his hands away from his eyes?" "Would it matter if he did?" said another voice.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 12-23-2013 at 03:34 PM.
Old 01-02-2014, 11:06 AM   #720
Waylander
Fanatic
Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5 SE, Onyx Boox Poke 3
The book I want find the name of is a fantasy book, with a roman type sword down the spine on the hard-cover edition, and a woman in armour raising a sword into the air, while mounted in a rearing horse, and has two men behind her. There is a major plot twist at the the end, when the prince or hero dies when you aren't expecting them too. because they are some sort of saviour. If anyone could help that would be great, as this has been bugging me since 2011! It's not Oath of Gold by Elizabeth Moon, though. It is also part of a trilogy (I think).

Last edited by Waylander; 01-02-2014 at 11:17 AM.
Waylander is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
children's books, christie, forgotten title, four just men, mystery stories, teen sleuths