Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-06-2012, 06:13 PM   #1
FJames
Addict
FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch & Aura
Sync books without firmware update

I just bought a new book that I want to sync to my KT over WiFi, but I don't want it to update the firmware from 1.9.14 to 1.9.16. I'm assuming that will happen if I just hit the Sync icon. Is there a way to sync the book without the update?
FJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 08:55 AM   #2
jiminrussell
JimInRussell
jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.

Device: kobo Aura One, Forma, Elipsa, Sage
If there is an epub version of your new book download that from the kobo web site and sideload it onto your kobo.
jiminrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-07-2012, 01:03 PM   #3
FJames
Addict
FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch & Aura
That's what I ended up doing, thanks.

Shouldn't there be a way to sync books without unwanted firmware updates?
FJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 03:32 PM   #4
ltr
Addict
ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.

Device: Kindle PW-2
Quote:
Originally Posted by FJames View Post

No, I think they'd rather the firmware on the device matched with the desktop and web site servers, so there's no conflict. Personally, I'd love to use the previous version of firmware on my Kobo since it worked so well, but it doesn't seem possible without having to sideload.

ltr
ltr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 04:49 PM   #5
BigJ
BigJ began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by FJames View Post

This worked for me. Before you eject/disconnect the device, delete the following from the .kobo directory of your device:

KoboRoot.tgz
manifest.md5sum
upgrade/ <- directory

Edit: These are the update files downloaded

Last edited by BigJ; 01-14-2012 at 04:54 PM.
BigJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-14-2012, 04:53 PM   #6
BigJ
BigJ began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltr View Post
No, I think they'd rather the firmware on the device matched with the desktop and web site servers, so there's no conflict. Personally, I'd love to use the previous version of firmware on my Kobo since it worked so well, but it doesn't seem possible without having to sideload.

ltr
ltr, I used the instructions from the thread https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=145177 to downgrade my Touch to V1.9.14. That's where I got the idea about deleting the files
BigJ is offline   Reply With Quote