Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-04-2011, 08:22 AM   #1
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
choose your own adventure! :D

So I was browsing through the active Kindle content on amazon, and stumbled upon some cool games and one choose your own adventure book type of active content. I just think it's great that that genre could continue to live on i remember it being intensely popular back then

i think i love kindle more for its active content offerings. for some reason, there's some appeal to playing greyscale games with great stories. i'm tired of the amazing graphics but empty plot
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 12:26 AM   #2
Kawika
Kawika is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 3 Graphite
I also stumbled upon the "user-directed-make-a-choice" books and was intrigued from youthful memories. Which have you read? Which could you recommend to someone?

Thanks!
Kawika is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-05-2011, 01:44 AM   #3
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawika View Post
I also stumbled upon the "user-directed-make-a-choice" books and was intrigued from youthful memories. Which have you read? Which could you recommend to someone?

Thanks!
i haven't tried anything yet, as i was hoping to find a page where all the active content on kindle was listed. i already emailed kindle support and they said they'd send the suggestion over to their development team. i sure hope they'd make a main page where all the available games and active content were listed. at the moment, the main page only displays customer favorites, some of the free games and new content.
Old 03-05-2011, 02:29 AM   #4
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
There's a short but well illustrated choose your own adventure, I think it was created by Amazon, sold well, panned for lack of depth.

There's a ton of indie choose your own adventure type of books, some of them don't even work right.

Then there's some mainstream offerings, recreations of the classics that function correctly for the most part.

There's also a proto RPG which I must say is intriguing.

I haven't tried any of them, I suppose I will cross over to the app side one day, but that day is not today, probably not even this year.

Giggleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 09:49 AM   #5
Kawika
Kawika is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 3 Graphite
Thanks for the suggestions and the possibilities! The eReaders could really lend themselves well to such applications. Maybe if they put the Zork series on Kindle I would finally be able to finish/figure out Enchanter...
Kawika is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-05-2011, 05:35 PM   #6
wyndslash
Wizard

as i understand, they already adapted a fighting fantasy book to a game
Old 03-05-2011, 07:34 PM   #7
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawika View Post
Thanks for the suggestions and the possibilities! The eReaders could really lend themselves well to such applications. Maybe if they put the Zork series on Kindle I would finally be able to finish/figure out Enchanter...
You're theoretically capable of playing most web based text adventures already available online, the speed and refresh rate of the Kindle's web browser are limiting factors in the enjoyment of said adventures.

With future Kindle's, faster eink refreshing, better built in browser, why would we need Amazon?? For curation of course.

Giggleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 01:50 AM   #8
RandyACook
Avid Reader and Author
RandyACook can self-interpret dreams as they happen.RandyACook can self-interpret dreams as they happen.RandyACook can self-interpret dreams as they happen.RandyACook can self-interpret dreams as they happen.RandyACook can self-interpret dreams as they happen.RandyACook can self-interpret dreams as they happen.RandyACook can self-interpret dreams as they happen.RandyACook can self-interpret dreams as they happen.RandyACook can self-interpret dreams as they happen.RandyACook can self-interpret dreams as they happen.RandyACook can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: nook tablet (and a nook 1st edition), Kindle Fire, Kobo Vox, iPad
eReaders are really ideal for CYOA books. If you are like me and live in the rural midwest sometime Wi-Fi is not always available. Unlike web based adventure games, that require an internet connection, you can carry ePubs with you and play them anytime and any place.
RandyACook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 01:18 PM   #9
kkinser
Newbie with a Bullet
kkinser began at the beginning.

Try portablequest.com for a bunch of text adventures
kkinser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 04:08 PM   #10
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
Check this out, for some Lone Wolf goodies:

http://www.projectaon.org/en/Main/Books

Brings back fond memories...

And the Kindle edition:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B005C6AYVW
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 09:44 AM   #11
Robmonster
Wizard!
Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Voyage + Oasis2
Yes, there are a few of the Fighting Fantasy books available now, they work really well ( except you can no longer cheat your way past the battles!)

Rob
Robmonster is offline   Reply With Quote