Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-13-2010, 09:53 AM   #1
amitauti
amitauti began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
Unhappy Keys are not responding

Today while coming in rain, Kindle became wet.
When I came home I saw that screen went blank. After I used my hair dryer for 5-10 minutes to dry it, it started and I can see the screen.
However the problem is, I am not able to operate it since keys are not working (including 5 way) as they should be.

I have tried resetting it couple of times but no use.

Please help how to make it readable again.
amitauti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 10:12 AM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, amitauti

I'm not sure you can fix this.......perhaps someone else has an idea.

Have you called Kindle Support?

US
online: www.amazon.com/kindlesupport
e-mail: kindle-cs-support@amazon.com
phone: within the US: 1-866-321-8851 (toll free)
outside the US: 1-206-266-0927
(charges will apply)
UK
online: www.amazon.co.uk/kindlesupport
e-mail: kindle-support-uk@amazon.co.uk
phone: within the UK: Freephone 0800 496 2449
outside the UK: +44 (0)800 496 2449
(charges will apply)
OTHER COUNTRIES
online: www.amazon.com/kindlesupport
e-mail: kindle-cs-support@amazon.com
phone: 1-206-266-0927 (charges will apply)
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-13-2010, 11:52 AM   #3
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
As soon as I read the thread title I suspected that unit got wet - most electronics do not like water and key-response is almost a sure sign things got wet.

A suggestion from Blackberry forums is to place the unit in a closed contained of dry white rice and leave it for a few hours/days. It absorbs the moisture. Another is to go to a hardware store and buy dessicants (sp?) and seal the unit with them. Slow heat, very slow heat - top of tv, computer. More hair dryer time - but low heat.

Good luck (the Blackberry has water damage stickers so Rim can tell if exposed to moisture - maybe Amazon does not go that far and would replace the unit)
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 11:34 AM   #4
amitauti
amitauti began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
Thank you for replies guys, it started working again. But.. Few of the keys are not working now. Specially the first line and the up and right key from the 5 key navigation.

Please let me know how to overcome this problem since I am not able to use keys for turning on wi-fi.
amitauti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 11:42 AM   #5
Millbrook
Reader
Millbrook began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 3G
I see that your most recent message was posted just a couple of hours after the first. I would guess that your Kindle will be fine if you let it dry out overnight -- there's probably still some moisture under the keys.

Edit -- oops, it's been a few days that you've had this problem, my bad. There must be something under the keys, but if drying out the Kindle didn't solve it, you may be stuck, sorry.

Last edited by Millbrook; 11-15-2010 at 11:45 AM.
Millbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert