Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-15-2014, 11:20 PM   #18646
barutanseijin
Nxfgrrjks
barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: aura hd
The Master Switch, Tim Wu

As it turns out, information doesn't want to be free.

Somewhat oversold (at least to me). I keep wondering how print/publishing fits into Wu's framework, and i don't buy his economic models. Still, it's an interesting read.
barutanseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 11:37 PM   #18647
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
Well, I won't be reading Bridge to Terabithia right away to her, she isn't quite ready I don't think, but I really enjoyed it. Now on to Fire Watch, but I probably won't have a chance to start till Monday.
Well, I ended up returning Fire Watch unread for a couple reasons. Since Fire Watch has either no wait or only 1-2 people at most, I will just pick it up later. First, Sand by Hugh Howey was released as an omnibus, so I had to get that and read it. Excellent book, not quite as good as the Silo trilogy, but very close.

Second, I finally received Killing Floor (Jack Reacher 1) by Lee Child from my library. To give an idea of the wait on that, I have been on the waiting list for more than 6 months and there are 19 copies. I will start reading that tomorrow.

I haven't read anything by Lee Child, so I have high expectations given the popularity. Of course, it could be like James Patterson or Dan Brown who I haven't cared much for; I have only read 1 book by each so far though, maybe my selection wasn't optimal.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-16-2014, 04:24 AM   #18648
orangedotgreen
Enthusiast
orangedotgreen can do the Funky Gibbon.orangedotgreen can do the Funky Gibbon.orangedotgreen can do the Funky Gibbon.orangedotgreen can do the Funky Gibbon.orangedotgreen can do the Funky Gibbon.orangedotgreen can do the Funky Gibbon.orangedotgreen can do the Funky Gibbon.orangedotgreen can do the Funky Gibbon.orangedotgreen can do the Funky Gibbon.orangedotgreen can do the Funky Gibbon.orangedotgreen can do the Funky Gibbon.

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-fi
I started reading The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson and I love it.
I really like the characters and pace of the book and I can't wait to see what is the link between the prelude and what's happening in the main story.

I'm also reading The Hidden Reality: Parallel Universes and the Deep Laws of the Cosmos by Brian Greene. It's an interesting read and a good choice for me - I just finished Big Bang: The Origin of the Universe by Simon Singh and this book builds up on some of the things I learned there.
orangedotgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 04:38 AM   #18649
MichelleLouring
Owl Lady
MichelleLouring has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenMichelleLouring has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenMichelleLouring has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenMichelleLouring has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenMichelleLouring has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenMichelleLouring has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenMichelleLouring has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenMichelleLouring has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenMichelleLouring has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenMichelleLouring has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenMichelleLouring has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Android Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5stack View Post
Yeah they're 1000 pages each. Book 2 was fantastic! I hope you enjoy it.
I'm about halfway through and book 2 is definitely much better than book 1! Of course, with so much groundwork needing to be laid down, the first book is bound to be slow.
Just thinking of writing such a story makes my head spin!
MichelleLouring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 05:31 AM   #18650
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Well I finished The Secret History which was good, but not what I was expecting. There are some parts which are still unclear for me, so I'll read reviews and comments to try and figure those out. Maybe I'll re-read it next year.
Just Ride by Grant Petersen and The Hunger Games are also finished. The former was interesting, the latter a real page turner even though the style doesn't shine just after The Secret History.
I understand The Hunger Games is aimed at a young audience and the main character isn't supposed to have a great education, but the style was plain. In a nutshell, plain style, disillusioned character but compelling story that kept me awake too late for several nights
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-16-2014, 12:29 PM   #18651
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Currently reading Red Baron: The Life and Death of an Ace by Peter Kilduff.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 12:53 PM   #18652
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangedotgreen View Post
I started reading The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson and I love it.
I really like the characters and pace of the book and I can't wait to see what is the link between the prelude and what's happening in the main story.

I'm also reading The Hidden Reality: Parallel Universes and the Deep Laws of the Cosmos by Brian Greene. It's an interesting read and a good choice for me - I just finished Big Bang: The Origin of the Universe by Simon Singh and this book builds up on some of the things I learned there.
Interesting reading list. I'm not familiar with Brandon Sanderson but I really like Brian Green and Simon Singh. Interesting tidbit on Simon Singh from Wikipedia:

Spoiler:
Quote:
Chiropractic lawsuit

Main article: BCA v. Singh
In 19 April 2008, The Guardian published Singh's column "Beware the Spinal Trap", an article that was critical of the practice of chiropractic and which resulted in Singh being sued for libel by the British Chiropractic Association (BCA). The article developed the theme of the book that Singh and Edzard Ernst had published, Trick or Treatment? Alternative Medicine on Trial, and made various statements about the lack of usefulness of chiropractic "for such problems as ear infections and infant colic":

Quote:
You might think that modern chiropractors restrict themselves to treating back problems, but in fact they still possess some quite wacky ideas. The fundamentalists argue that they can cure anything. And even the more moderate chiropractors have ideas above their station. The British Chiropractic Association claims that their members can help treat children with colic, sleeping and feeding problems, frequent ear infections, asthma and prolonged crying, even though there is not a jot of evidence. This organisation is the respectable face of the chiropractic profession and yet it happily promotes bogus treatments.
When the case was first brought against him, The Guardian supported him and funded his legal advice, as well as offering to pay the BCA's legal costs in an out-of-court settlement if Singh chose to settle. A "furious backlash" to the lawsuit resulted in the filing of formal complaints of false advertising against more than 500 individual chiropractors within one 24-hour period, with one national chiropractic organisation ordering its members to take down their websites, and Nature Medicine noting that the case had gathered wide support for Singh, as well as prompting calls for the reform of English libel laws. On 1 April 2010, Simon Singh won his court appeal for the right to rely on the defence of fair comment. On 15 April 2010, the BCA officially withdrew its lawsuit, ending the case. To defend himself for the libel suit, Singh's out-of-pocket legal costs were tens of thousands of pounds, but the trial has acted as a catalyst and focus for libel reform campaigners resulting in all major parties in the 2010 UK general election making manifesto commitments to libel reform. On 25 April 2013 the Defamation Act 2013 received Queen Elizabeth II’s Royal Assent and became law. The purpose of the reformed law of defamation is to 'ensure that a fair balance is struck between the right to freedom of expression and the protection of reputation'. Under the new law, plaintiffs must show that they suffer serious harm before the court will accept the case. Additional protection for website operators, defence of 'responsible publication on matters of public interest' and new statutory defences of truth and honest opinion are also part of the key areas of the new law.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 01-16-2014 at 12:56 PM.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 01:35 PM   #18653
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
[QUOTE=WT Sharpe;2740487]Interesting reading list. I'm not familiar with Brandon Sanderson but I really like Brian Green and Simon Singh. Interesting tidbit on Simon Singh from Wikipedia:

Me too! I rate Green and Singh right up there with Michio Kaku (who has a new book coming out next month, I think).
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 02:08 PM   #18654
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Next up: The Shadow of the Lion by Mecedes Lackey, Eric Flint and Dave Freer.
That was an enjoyable romp. I'm looking forward to the rest of the series. I think that I have read this one before, but it must have been very shortly after I bought it.

Next: Tea with the Black Dragon by R. A. MacAvoy

I bought this one back in December 2003 for $6.98 at Fictionwise. I know I've read this before - but long before that, in a paper edition. I'm looking forward to a re-read. (Incidentally, I see the Kindle edition in the UK is now just £2.99. I really should have waited to buy it at a better price!)
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 02:13 PM   #18655
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Interesting reading list. I'm not familiar with Brandon Sanderson but I really like Brian Green and Simon Singh. Interesting tidbit on Simon Singh from Wikipedia:
Really? I thought for sure I had seen you comment on either the Mistborn series or the Wheel of Time books that he completed. Huh.

If you are interested, I have my thoughts on Sanderson below.
Spoiler:
He has a reputation as a "world builder" and the "magic system" guy because his books tend to have unique magic systems and very detailed histories for the worlds, so if you like that you are in for a treat. If not, it can get old.

I really liked his Mistborn trilogy but I haven't read the follow-up yet. He did an excellent job with the WoT books he co-authored, I felt they were much better than the last couple (several) Robert Jordan books. The last book was good, but not as good as many people hoped which I tend to blame on Jordan instead of Sanderson since Brandon has stated that the notes he received for the last book were very detailed and the editor (Jordan's wife) required him to use almost all of them.

On The Way of Kings specifically, it is the first book in an approximately 10 book long series (figure 10,000+ pages for the whole thing), the second book is only coming out this year, so there has been a 4 year wait. If you don't like waiting for books (JRRM, Jordan) I would skip it until he gets caught up. Admittedly he did take some time off for the Wheel of Time books which slowed down his original schedule.

Personally, I think he has too many things going on at one time; Reckoners, Mistborn, and the Stormlight Archive (Way of Kings) are all on-going and active series for him. I am concerned about getting more into a series that is only 1/10th of the way finished after 4 years.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 03:27 PM   #18656
Yapyap
Guru
Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yapyap View Post
I started Throne of Glass by Sarah J Maas - YA high fantasy. Not really very keen on the protagonist, who is far too over-dramatic and irritating for a supposedly highly skilled assassin, but it's keeping me entertained well enough so far.
And finished - not the best book out there, but not the worst either, and I'll definitely want to read the second book at some point (especially seeing as I already have it).

And I also read Doctor Who: Into the Nowhere by Jenny Colgan - new short story in the Time Trips short story series, released today and starring the Eleventh Doctor and Clara. Really disappointed with this one; I think it was going for something very deep and metaphorical, but either I'm not smart enough for it or am lacking in the frame of reference (I think there was a Christian allegory somewhere in there, which isn't a field I'm strong in), so, yeah. Didn't care for it.
Yapyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 04:47 PM   #18657
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Quote:
Dr. Sleep isn't here yet, so I'm working on buddy reads - Colour of Magic (Pratchett) and Conspiracy in Death (Robb), the second of which is a relisten.
Finished Color of Magic. Very funny, looking forward to the rest of the series. I am about 3 hours into Conspiracy in Death. Dr. Sleep has arrived from the library and I will be starting that after dinner.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 07:09 PM   #18658
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Started reading book #4 of the Fatal series by Marie force, Fatal Flaw.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 07:45 PM   #18659
VictoriaP
Addict
VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2; Kindle Touch; Kindle 2; iPad Mini; iPad1
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
That was an enjoyable romp. I'm looking forward to the rest of the series. I think that I have read this one before, but it must have been very shortly after I bought it.

Next: Tea with the Black Dragon by R. A. MacAvoy

I bought this one back in December 2003 for $6.98 at Fictionwise. I know I've read this before - but long before that, in a paper edition. I'm looking forward to a re-read. (Incidentally, I see the Kindle edition in the UK is now just £2.99. I really should have waited to buy it at a better price!)
Tea is one of the very very few books I'll keep in hardcover even after I replace it in digital. I'm probably due for a re-read too, thanks for the reminder! Have to see what the price is on this side of the pond.

Currently reading: The Sudbury School Murders, Ashley Gardner (#4, Captain Lacey Regency mysteries)
VictoriaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 03:07 AM   #18660
orangedotgreen
Enthusiast
orangedotgreen can do the Funky Gibbon.orangedotgreen can do the Funky Gibbon.orangedotgreen can do the Funky Gibbon.orangedotgreen can do the Funky Gibbon.orangedotgreen can do the Funky Gibbon.orangedotgreen can do the Funky Gibbon.orangedotgreen can do the Funky Gibbon.orangedotgreen can do the Funky Gibbon.orangedotgreen can do the Funky Gibbon.orangedotgreen can do the Funky Gibbon.orangedotgreen can do the Funky Gibbon.

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-fi
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Interesting reading list. I'm not familiar with Brandon Sanderson but I really like Brian Green and Simon Singh.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidym View Post
Me too! I rate Green and Singh right up there with Michio Kaku (who has a new book coming out next month, I think).
It wasn't until last year that I found out that science books like these exist. It feels strange now, but I thought that science books were only in textbook form and I didn't think to check to make sure. Our bookshops don't have any translated versions of science books and only a few fiction bestsellers in English. I found out about them from the sciene ebooks recommendation thread and now I have a pretty long TBR list

Quote:
He has a reputation as a "world builder" and the "magic system" guy because his books tend to have unique magic systems and very detailed histories for the worlds, so if you like that you are in for a treat. If not, it can get old.
I love the world building part of fantasy books and I think that's one of the reasons why I like this book so much. I also like the balance between action and the world building and how things are slowly revealed.

Quote:
On The Way of Kings specifically, it is the first book in an approximately 10 book long series (figure 10,000+ pages for the whole thing), the second book is only coming out this year, so there has been a 4 year wait. If you don't like waiting for books (JRRM, Jordan) I would skip it until he gets caught up. Admittedly he did take some time off for the Wheel of Time books which slowed down his original schedule.
I knew there was a new book in the same universe coming out this year, but I thought it was the second in a series of three books. A 10 books series seems incredibly long, but if I like the next books as much I like what I've read so far, I won't complain
orangedotgreen is offline   Reply With Quote