Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-09-2010, 11:29 PM   #1
Ken401
Addict
Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, PRS-950, PRS-505, Nexus 10, Xoom
So how big is the 900's Case Logic case?

I am considering selling my mint condition 600 for the 900, but concerned it might be too big. (Not crazy about selling the 600 at a discount either. )

Could someone post the measurements of the Case Logic case that comes with the 900, including the thickness? I have not been able to find its dimensions online yet.

Has anyone bought the 600 and the 900 and preferred the 600 after all?

Is the 900's contrast noticeably better as some report?

Ken401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 01:04 AM   #2
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2
I don't see much difference in contrast, but I never minded the 600.

The big difference between the two, for me, is that the 900 justifies epubs. Plus I like that it is a bit bigger. The less I have to turn the page, the better.

I'm not sure where my case is, but it's huge. I would never use it for anything except possibly to pack the 900 in a suitcase to be sure it's protected. I think it's way too big for everyday use. But I have read that others do use it just that way.

-Marcy

Last edited by Marcy; 03-10-2010 at 01:13 AM.
Marcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 02:18 AM   #3
m-reader
Guru
m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-300. PRS-650, PRS-900, iPad2, Iconia A500, Irex Iliad (sold)
And you can't fit your PRS-900 into this case if you are using the Sony light cover already - it's too wide!
m-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 05:25 AM   #4
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken401 View Post
I am considering selling my mint condition 600 for the 900, but concerned it might be too big. (Not crazy about selling the 600 at a discount either. )

Could someone post the measurements of the Case Logic case that comes with the 900, including the thickness? I have not been able to find its dimensions online yet.

Has anyone bought the 600 and the 900 and preferred the 600 after all?

Is the 900's contrast noticeably better as some report?

I find the contrast of Sony 900 significantly better.

Attached 2 pics:
Sony 600 with the cover with light, Sony 900 with the standard cover and the case logic cover.
Case logic cover is huge. And very thick, about 1.8". On the other hand, it's usable for other readers as well. nook for example fits in there perfectly.

Measurements are: 16cm x 24,5cm x 4,5cm = 6,3" x 9,65" x 1,8"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00092.JPG
Views:	341
Size:	1.24 MB
ID:	47636   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00093.JPG
Views:	358
Size:	1.30 MB
ID:	47637  

Last edited by mgmueller; 03-10-2010 at 07:23 AM.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 05:03 PM   #5
Ken401
Addict
Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the info and pics. I can't believe the size of that case, and yet I would want something protecting the sides and back. Hmmmm.....
Old 03-10-2010, 06:04 PM   #6
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Thanks for the info and pics. I can't believe the size of that case, and yet I would want something protecting the sides and back. Hmmmm.....
In my opinion, you don't need something like this.
When packing my bag, I'm worried about 3 things:
a.) Scratches on the screen. So I need some kind of cover, I never would rely on a skin or something like that.
b.) Bumps to the screen, for example the edge of my laptop pressing into it. Not every cover will protect against that. But the Sony 900 cover is rigid enough.
c.) Scratches to the housing. I put my readers into a huge "sock", similar to the iPod socks. You can use a neopren sleeve as well. Usually, I pack 2 readers into it, face to face, for additional protection of the screens.
As an additional protection, I try to kind of "fix" my readers in the bag, so they can't thrust around. Packing into a shirt for example, or packing next to some magazines which I roll up.
But of course, if you've got the space, you can't go wrong with the case logic cover...
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 06:30 PM   #7
kc5cychris
Connoisseur
kc5cychris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kc5cychris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kc5cychris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kc5cychris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kc5cychris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kc5cychris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kc5cychris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kc5cychris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kc5cychris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kc5cychris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kc5cychris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600, PRS-900
I have both the 600 and 900 and like the 900 more because of the larger screen which allows me to view dual colum PDF files without issues. as for the case I use the case logic case when carrying the reader back and forth to work to aviod bumps and scratches from the enviroment. also works great when traveling in the carry on laptop case or backpack
kc5cychris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 09:48 PM   #8
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
That 900 case really is for rough duty. I use it when I transport my reader by motorcycle. But, I did recently get the Sonly light-case and, as noted above, bummer that it doesn't fit.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 01:57 AM   #9
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2
Quote:
You really don't need anything to protect the sides and back. The back has a sort of pebbled texture that is quite tough. And one of my favorite things about Sony readers is how solidly they're built. The exposed sides are metal, not plastic like most other readers. I carry my 900 everywhere in just the regular cover (and used to bring my 600 everywhere) without problems. I've dropped them both without a dent.

I even accidentally dropped the 600 into a tub of water. I grabbed it out immediately but even so there was water in the SD card slot and the stylus slot. It was wonky for a few hours but now works perfectly again.

-Marcy
Marcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 03:01 AM   #10
Ben Thornton
Guru
Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad 2 (but not for e-books)
I'm still using a padded envelope to protect my Sony while it's sculling around in in my backpack. Around the house it doesn't need any protection. It's a solution that's cheap and very effective - and if the envelope ever gets damaged, I'll just replace it.

I've not found any use for the massive Case Logic case yet.
Ben Thornton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 05:47 PM   #11
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Yeah my Case Logic case has been sitting in the drawer ever since I got my 900. The only use I see for it is in packing for a trip; for in a suitcase or backpack. In my opinion if they were going to make it so big the they should have gone all the way and included room for the A/C charger and USB cable.
Old 03-11-2010, 06:39 PM   #12
Ken401
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Thornton View Post
I'm still using a padded envelope to protect my Sony while it's sculling around in in my backpack. Around the house it doesn't need any protection. It's a solution that's cheap and very effective - and if the envelope ever gets damaged, I'll just replace it.
Very economical. Very discreet. I think I like it!
Old 03-11-2010, 10:52 PM   #13
billy12
billy12 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-900
Quote:
Originally Posted by m-reader View Post
And you can't fit your PRS-900 into this case if you are using the Sony light cover already - it's too wide!
I managed to fit it in with the cover on; you just have to work at it a little.
billy12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 07:25 PM   #14
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Billy, yeah, that works for the original cover. The light-cover combo (with LED on a stalk) is a half-inch or more wider.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 09:20 PM   #15
billy12
billy12 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post
Billy, yeah, that works for the original cover. The light-cover combo (with LED on a stalk) is a half-inch or more wider.
Oh, I took "light cover" to mean the snap-on cover it came with. Now I get it.
billy12 is offline   Reply With Quote