Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-06-2010, 03:39 AM   #46
olis
Zealot
olis has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.olis has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.olis has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.olis has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: prs-500, Nokia N810, Irex dr1000s, Kindle3
Same thing here in Italy.

Order placed: August 2, 2010
Delivery estimate: October 5, 2010 - October 7, 2010
olis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 03:45 AM   #47
babyd
Addict
babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony:505, 600, 350, 650, Kindle 3 & PW, Kobo Mini & Aura HD
I just called them and they have no idea why the order summary pages show these late dates. They assured me that the dates shown when I ordered are the accurate ones. They are putting this information to the web teams to find out what is going on.

They had an update dated 6th Aug that states orders placed by noon on 1st Aug will be shipped by 27th Aug and from then till last night they ship 1st some first served, but by Sept 4th.........from today they will ship by Sept 8th. Their own update to CS reps today..........
babyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-06-2010, 03:49 AM   #48
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by babyd View Post
I just called them and they have no idea why the order summary pages show these late dates. They assured me that the dates shown when I ordered are the accurate ones. They are putting this information to the web teams to find out what is going on.

They had an update dated 6th Aug that states orders placed by noon on 1st Aug will be shipped by 27th Aug and from then till last night they ship 1st some first served, but by Sept 4th.........from today they will ship by Sept 8th. Their own update to CS reps today..........
Thank you for this. Sounds like it's just a glitch then.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 03:53 AM   #49
AdrianM
Connoisseur
AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: nook, K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by babyd View Post

Well, I hope it is a mistake as my pre-order has been updated to show "Delivery Estimate: September 29, 2010 - October 1, 2010". Perhaps the month is shifted and it should read, "August 29, September 1"...
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 02:10 PM   #50
geemac
Enthusiast
geemac began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 505, Kindle 3G, Nook Glowlight, Nook HD+,Kobo Touch,Kindle Paper
Ordered on the 29 July and my account said end of August delivery, it now says Delivery Estimate: 30 Sep 2010 - 4 Oct 2010

Now it says
We'll notify you via e-mail when we have an estimated delivery date for this item. It will be dispatched separately. You can cancel at any time.
geemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-06-2010, 03:16 PM   #51
Erinath
Shy Philosopher
Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Nook Simple Touch, Nook HD+ & Kindle Keyboard (wifi only)
I have pre-ordered the wi-fi only Kindle. My reasons? I've spent roughly a year now toying with the idea of getting an ebook reader but have never found the right balance between features I want and what I could afford. I'd got to the point were I was seriously considering getting a Kindle from the U.S (I'm in England) & then July 29th arrived. My husband logged onto Amazon & as soon as he saw the new price he told me to order myself one.
Erinath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 06:10 PM   #52
Ben Thornton
Guru
Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad 2 (but not for e-books)
I have a PRS900, but I'm fed up with either paying more or format shifting etc. (with variable results). I just want to be able to buy books and read them - at a reasonable (i.e. less than paper) price. Now that Amazon has a UK store, I can do this for a large and growing subset of books, so they get my business. My guess is that their competitors in the UK (Sony mainly) don't stand a chance, because they are offering less content for more money both up-front and ongoing.
Ben Thornton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 06:28 PM   #53
tovare
Addict
tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600, Kindle kb Wifi, new Kindle NT, PW2, Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Thornton View Post
I have a PRS900, but I'm fed up with either paying more or format shifting etc. (with variable results). I just want to be able to buy books and read them - at a reasonable (i.e. less than paper) price. Now that Amazon has a UK store, I can do this for a large and growing subset of books, so they get my business. My guess is that their competitors in the UK (Sony mainly) don't stand a chance, because they are offering less content for more money both up-front and ongoing.

For me the Amazon prices tends to be almost the same as or higher than paper prices.

Example (The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo from Amazon.com)
Kindle Edition: $9.15
Hardcover, Deckle Edge: $15.47
Paperback: $7.14
Mass Market Paperback: $7.99

The price on amazon.co.uk (Surfing through a UK-based proxy)
Kindle Edition: £2.68 ($4.28 U.S. dollars)

So there are some introductionary pricing in play. IMHO Don't take things at face value right now, consumers in the U.K. are being played.

Last edited by tovare; 08-06-2010 at 06:31 PM. Reason: hardcopy -> paper.
tovare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 06:33 PM   #54
seajewel
Fanatic
seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-950
I haven't, yet, but only because I'm temporarily out of the country until September 1st, and won't have a U.S. address until then. I've had my Sony for two years and I love it to pieces, but I'm excited about this new Kindle. The Unicode font support really sealed the deal for me.. I got the Sony back in the day to be able to read asian language books, and now I can have Kindle with 3G. I wish it supported epub, but i guess I have to live without.
seajewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 06:34 PM   #55
Ben Thornton
Guru
Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad 2 (but not for e-books)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tovare View Post
So there are some introductionary pricing in play. IMHO Don't take things at face value right now, consumers in the U.K. are being played.
Across the board, Amazon are pitching prices on Amazon.co.uk just under the lowest paper price - as per the Guardian article that I linked to in another thread. I don't think that Amazon will suddenly change this once everyone buys a Kindle - is that what being "played" meant?

That kind of behaviour isn't what they're known for, and in the long run (which is the game Amazon plays), it would lose them a lot of customers.
Ben Thornton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 06:39 PM   #56
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by geemac View Post
Ordered on the 29 July and my account said end of August delivery, it now says Delivery Estimate: 30 Sep 2010 - 4 Oct 2010

Now it says
We'll notify you via e-mail when we have an estimated delivery date for this item. It will be dispatched separately. You can cancel at any time.
My dad has been working in computers for 55 years, which may be some kind of a record.

Anyway, one thing he has told me about the field: "There is no place where they are all geniuses." I think your post provides evidence for my dad's point
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 06:40 PM   #57
tovare
Addict
tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tovare View Post
To comment on my self.

Not that this is a bad thing ... encouraging lots and lots to jump on the ereader bandwagon, increasing interest from publisher, leading to higher quality ebooks and a broader selection.

It's just that the freedom Sony offers by supporting an open standard format for epub's allowing you to buy from anywhere and download the best quality (not beta) from places like the gutenberg project for free.
Old 08-06-2010, 06:44 PM   #58
tovare
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Thornton View Post
That kind of behaviour isn't what they're known for, and in the long run (which is the game Amazon plays), it would lose them a lot of customers.
I agree, they seem cross the line a bit too often, just like Microsoft did a few years ago and IBM before that. The two latter seems to have learned a bit from the experience.
Old 08-06-2010, 09:10 PM   #59
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeckledJim View Post
Lab126 do the design work for the Kindles. They are a Cupertino based subsidiary of Amazon.
Yes, googling Lab126, I see it is quite active. I drew the wrong conclusions from the not-lately-updated Lab126 Wikipedia article.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanghaichica View Post
Who knows what the hell is going on but I will be upset if I have to wait more than a few days after September the 4th because that is the date that was showing when I ordered.
Amazon should have more correct and consistent messaging. On the other hand, I would rather get the device late than read about a Foxconn suicide (http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/07/bu...gewanted=print) being blamed on pressure to meet our deadline. A year from now, I would have only the vaguest memory that the date was missed.

Last edited by SteveEisenberg; 08-06-2010 at 10:04 PM.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 11:13 PM   #60
Viseguy
Just a kid from Bklyn
Viseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi; Samsung Galaxy Tab 7
I ordered a K3 Wi-Fi on July 31 (my first e-reader). My order status says, "We'll notify you via e-mail when we have an estimated delivery date for this item."

I also ordered a chocolate brown leather cover, which is scheduled to ship on Aug. 31. I may eventually spring for one of those gorgeous Oberon Design covers, however. (, please note.)
Viseguy is offline   Reply With Quote