Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Development

Notices

Old 01-18-2024, 11:13 AM   #1
0x6f677548
0x6f677548 began at the beginning.

Device: kobo clara hd
publishing plugins

Hi

I've developed 3 plugins and I would like to publish them. I posted 3 new threads on the plugins page with the zip files, but then tried to message the moderators with the txt file, but i can't find a way to do it. Is there any extra step i should be aware off?

thank you
0x6f677548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2024, 11:32 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Your posts are probably in the moderator queue as you are a new member, they should come through soon.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2024, 02:10 PM   #3
0x6f677548

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Your posts are probably in the moderator queue as you are a new member, they should come through soon.
thanks!
Old 01-18-2024, 04:01 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0x6f677548 View Post
Hi

I've developed 3 plugins and I would like to publish them. I posted 3 new threads on the plugins page with the zip files, but then tried to message the moderators with the txt file, but i can't find a way to do it. Is there any extra step i should be aware off?

thank you
Post a request in Requests to enable Private Messages

Post some replies in the Lounge to bump your post count above 10, then you'll be able to edit your own posts.

Added: Does one need to install all three plugins ?

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 01-18-2024 at 04:10 PM.
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2024, 02:43 AM   #5
0x6f677548

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Post a request in Requests to enable Private Messages

Post some replies in the Lounge to bump your post count above 10, then you'll be able to edit your own posts.

Added: Does one need to install all three plugins ?

BR
thanks - will do it.

no - you can install the better option that suits your needs. Interface plugin is what i use, but if you want to metaguide the epub immediately when converting or importing, the other two might be useful.
Advert
Old 01-23-2024, 02:58 AM   #6
0x6f677548

Hi again,

still not sure if I followed the correct process, as it seems the plugins are still not available in the calibre "get new plugins" UI:
1) I published the plugins in the forum
2) messaged some moderators with the txt (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/at...0&d=1606282219)

Any missing step?
Sorry, but these are my first plugins and I'm not sure I am following the right procedure...
Old 01-23-2024, 03:05 AM   #7
0x6f677548

Quote:
Hi again,

still not sure if I followed the correct process, as it seems the plugins are still not available in the calibre "get new plugins" UI:
1) I published the plugins in the forum
2) messaged some moderators with the txt (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/at...0&d=1606282219)

Any missing step?
Sorry, but these are my first plugins and I'm not sure I am following the right procedure...
meanwhile i realize the plugins are already available at the plugins index thread. Thanks mods!
I was expecting that to update the UI also, but maybe there's some cache acting somewhere? I can't find the new plugins on the "get new plugins" ui...
thanks
Old 01-23-2024, 03:54 AM   #8
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Last edit to the index was 2024-01-21 at 13:18 (my time) by Kiwidude.

Observation: the following code is not in the __init_.py module as it is in every other plugin I've peeked into. AFAIK the plugin updater uses those variables to populate the list of gettable plugins in Preferences->Plugins. I suspect it expects to find them in __init__.py.

Code:
PLUGIN_VERSION = (1, 0, 0)
PLUGIN_MINIMUM_CALIBRE_VERSION = (6, 5, 0)
PLUGIN_AUTHOR = "0x6f677548 (Hugo Batista)"
PLUGIN_SUPPORTED_PLATFORMS = ["windows", "osx", "linux"]
PLUGIN_FILE_TYPES = set(["epub"])
PLUGIN_FILE_TYPE = "epub"
PLUGIN_NAME = "IntelliReading.com - Epub Metaguider"
PLUGIN_DESCRIPTION = "Converts epub files to a metaguided format, improving your focus and reading speed."
When they do show up in the Get Plugins list, how is the user expected to know which one is which if all three plugins have the same plugin_name… and plugin_description.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 01-23-2024 at 04:12 AM.
Old 01-23-2024, 04:43 AM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Your plugins are trying to import common.py, which is missing from the plugin zip files.
Old 01-23-2024, 12:33 PM   #10
0x6f677548

Quote:
Your plugins are trying to import common.py, which is missing from the plugin zip files.
common is an alias to epubmg_common imported as follows:
from calibre_plugins.epubmgoutput import epubmg_common as common

(example from the epubmgoutput plugin which txt file is named "plugin-import-name-epubmgoutput.txt")

that file (epubmg_common.py) is on all zip files i submitted. Am I missing something? Sorry if that is a dumb question, but I am not able to see how is common missing..
Old 01-23-2024, 12:37 PM   #11
0x6f677548

Quote:
Last edit to the index was 2024-01-21 at 13:18 (my time) by Kiwidude.

Observation: the following code is not in the __init_.py module as it is in every other plugin I've peeked into. AFAIK the plugin updater uses those variables to populate the list of gettable plugins in Preferences->Plugins. I suspect it expects to find them in __init__.py.

Code:
PLUGIN_VERSION = (1, 0, 0)
PLUGIN_MINIMUM_CALIBRE_VERSION = (6, 5, 0)
PLUGIN_AUTHOR = "0x6f677548 (Hugo Batista)"
PLUGIN_SUPPORTED_PLATFORMS = ["windows", "osx", "linux"]
PLUGIN_FILE_TYPES = set(["epub"])
PLUGIN_FILE_TYPE = "epub"
PLUGIN_NAME = "IntelliReading.com - Epub Metaguider"
PLUGIN_DESCRIPTION = "Converts epub files to a metaguided format, improving your focus and reading speed."
When they do show up in the Get Plugins list, how is the user expected to know which one is which if all three plugins have the same plugin_name… and plugin_description.

BR
that is being changed when instantiating the plugin itself. Example on MetaguidedEpubOutput:
Code:
class MetaguidedEpubOutput(EPUBOutput):
    """Allows calibre to convert any known source format to a metaguided epub file."""

# pylint:disable=undefined-variable

name = common.PLUGIN_NAME + " Output"
    description = (
        common.PLUGIN_DESCRIPTION
        + " -> Replaces Epub Output with additional metaguiding options."
    )
    supported_platforms = common.PLUGIN_SUPPORTED_PLATFORMS
    author = common.PLUGIN_AUTHOR
    version = common.PLUGIN_VERSION
    file_type = common.PLUGIN_FILE_TYPE
    minimum_calibre_version = common.PLUGIN_MINIMUM_CALIBRE_VERSION
I thought that was enough, as I have the idea I saw the same approach in some other plugins. Are you sure that needs to be changed?

thanks for the help
Old 01-23-2024, 04:06 PM   #12
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
. . .

I thought that was enough, as I have the idea I saw the same approach in some other plugins. Are you sure that needs to be changed?
No, which why I used the prefix 'Observation'.

The question is: Why aren't the plugins appearing in the Get Plugins feature, given that the plugins have been added to this thread ==>> Index of plugins - MobileRead Forums

The answer is: Because they are failing to upload to the calibre Plugin Repository which you can see here ==>> Index of calibre plugins. This is the source of available plugins used by the Get Plugins feature.

The Plugin Repository is updated every hour on the half hour by the Plugin Updater (PU) process. The PU iterates through the MR Index looking for new and changed plugins, it extracts the data it needs from the MR index, from the first post in the plugin threads, and from the plugin code. For some reason this process is failing for your three plugins.

I suggest you PM kiwidude, and ask him to examine your plugin threads and code. Kiwidude is the 'owner of the calibre plugin process'…i.e. it's his baby. My observation is that the first post in your plugin threads, and the three __init__.py modules do not have the same structure as I have seen for other plugins.

BR
Old 01-23-2024, 08:47 PM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
common is an alias to epubmg_common imported as follows:
from calibre_plugins.epubmgoutput import epubmg_common as common

(example from the epubmgoutput plugin which txt file is named "plugin-import-name-epubmgoutput.txt")

that file (epubmg_common.py) is on all zip files i submitted. Am I missing something? Sorry if that is a dumb question, but I am not able to see how is common missing..
Dont use the aliasing, it will confuse the metadat aparser that reads the information from the plugin.
Old 01-29-2024, 02:58 PM   #14
0x6f677548

Quote:
Dont use the aliasing, it will confuse the metadat aparser that reads the information from the plugin.
thanks - i've corrected that and I edited the plugin posts with the new version. That should be enough, right?
Old 01-29-2024, 03:01 PM   #15
0x6f677548

Quote:
No, which why I used the prefix 'Observation'.

The question is: Why aren't the plugins appearing in the Get Plugins feature, given that the plugins have been added to this thread ==>> Index of plugins - MobileRead Forums

The answer is: Because they are failing to upload to the calibre Plugin Repository which you can see here ==>> Index of calibre plugins. This is the source of available plugins used by the Get Plugins feature.

The Plugin Repository is updated every hour on the half hour by the Plugin Updater (PU) process. The PU iterates through the MR Index looking for new and changed plugins, it extracts the data it needs from the MR index, from the first post in the plugin threads, and from the plugin code. For some reason this process is failing for your three plugins.

I suggest you PM kiwidude, and ask him to examine your plugin threads and code. Kiwidude is the 'owner of the calibre plugin process'…i.e. it's his baby. My observation is that the first post in your plugin threads, and the three __init__.py modules do not have the same structure as I have seen for other plugins.

BR
thanks for your help. I wasn't understanding how the index works, and it is a bit more clear to me.
I have renamed the common file, according to the suggestion of kovidgoyal and if that doesn't solve the issue, I'll change the structure according to your suggestion.

thanks once again