Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Self-Promotions by Authors and Publishers

Notices

Old 10-17-2008, 05:49 PM   #46
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
I'll go with the suggestion of getting either a Wordpress or Blogger account. You can point them to your own domain / sub domain pretty easily for a nominal cost and It'll save you the hassel of managing your own install.

Doing facebook would be nice, but its not as open and easily accissabel as a blog, so would definately suggest you go with the blog first
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 06:15 PM   #47
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
There's a lot of people who don't use Facebook.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 11:47 AM   #48
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: iPhone
Okay, I just finished Mars Girl!
The first thing that comes to mind is: you better be working on the sequel!

It is an extremely fast-paced action thriller taking place in the near future, without being too much of a science fiction story. I'm not a big SF fan.
I love the way you write, I love the short chapters and frequent changes of focus, which make it very fast and hectic but not confusing.
The story is interesting, very gripping, and after a while, one has to think about the role our media plays in the world of today.

I really hope you keep on writing, and since I often grow attached to characters in books, I would definately approve of a sequel
mores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 06:45 PM   #49
jgarrity
Enthusiast
jgarrity doesn't litterjgarrity doesn't litterjgarrity doesn't litter

Device: Adobe Reader
Thanks very much for your comments, mores. I'm glad you enjoyed Mars Girl. And yes I'm working on a sequel. Since even I don't know for sure what happened at the end (if anyone knows, be sure to tell me), I think writing is the only way to figure it out.
jgarrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 06:04 PM   #50
jgarrity
Enthusiast

There's a new Mars Girl "webisode" (a section I cut from the novel) at my site: www.marsgirl.us

This one features a character I eliminated completely from the book (character assassination?) partying amidst the Times Square throng as everyone watches the giant screen stretched across Broadway and awaits the first Mars Girl interview live from the Red Planet.
Old 10-23-2008, 05:33 AM   #51
cbell
Frenetic
cbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipse

Device: iLiad V2
mores, I'm really pleased you enjoyed Mars Girl, as I feel you read it on my recommendation.

I read it through really quickly the first time (as I couldn't put it down!) and now I'm reading it again, but more slowly. I'm understanding the characters better and enjoying it just as much second time around. I hope I can make a bit more sense out of the surprising ending, so I can explain it to jgarrity

pilotbob, you said you were reading Mars Girl. I'd be interested to know if you're enjoying it, too...
cbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 07:26 AM   #52
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgarrity View Post
What's preferred, "ebook" or "e-book"? I see both here.
eBook is actually preferred over ebook or e-book. Even Sony uses eBook as in eBook Library.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 01:27 PM   #53
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Jeff asked me to put up my thoughts on the book, so here goes.

I really didn't like any of the characters in the book. Everyone seemed evil and bad... I'm not sure if this was intended... I assume it was. Actually, I did like Mars Girl... although as has been said the book is not about mars girl.

Anyway... I did like the story. It seemed to jump around a bit to fast in the begging and introduced alot of characters that I really had to think to keep track of. But, that could be my impression because I read most books in pretty short bursts rather than sitting down to read for a few hours.

Spoiler:
I also was confused between some of the tech... Like what is the difference between a head and an assistant? And if a head is what I think it is, why do you need an assistant?

But, all in all... a good read and if you are looking for a book that talks about greed and people that will stop at nothing for cash. Also, a brief look at inflation.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 07:53 PM   #54
rlparker
Ars longa
rlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Kindle K1, K3 wifi
Mars Girl locked up my Kindle. I had to do a hard reset. First time anything like that has happened to my Kindle--kinda scared me.

I had done "Go to Cover", which displayed okay, then pushed next page, which was okay too, but then next page again froze it up. No buttons would work. Not even the power button.

Last edited by rlparker; 10-24-2008 at 08:49 AM.
rlparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 04:41 PM   #55
jgarrity
Enthusiast

Help! Anybody have any suggestions concerning rlparker's post? I'd hate to scare people away from reading Mars Girl. Unfortunately I don't own a Kindle so I'm not able to offer any suggestions. Perhaps a new file needs to be generated? I'll help in any way I can.

And thanks to pilotbob for the Mars Girl comments. I know a lot of people like at least one or two "good" characters. I guess it doesn't bother me if there aren't (e.g. Clockwork Orange, Dr. Strangelove, Pulp Fiction, No Country for Old Men, Glengarry Glen Ross). But I understand your point. Barker sorta tries to be good but needs to be talked into it by Cecilia, who seems like a decent person to me. Perhaps Jaspers redeems himself at the end (although cbell can't stand the guy).

Concerning the "head" and "assistant" question. I left the assistant somewhat undefined to allow the reader to imagine a future gadget that allows the user to communicate, watch live TV and do other things. I suppose my image is something like an iPhone with some added features. The "head" is simply one's brain. Some people (very few because of the expense) are "wired" and able to communicate with others without using any equipment other than the gadget (also undefined) inserted into their brains. They hear a hum and answer or don't answer, and simply talk normally to be heard by the caller. I imagine that it would be very intrusive.

Thanks again for the comments. It's always interesting to hear people's thoughts about the book.
Old 10-24-2008, 04:55 PM   #56
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlparker View Post
I had done "Go to Cover", which displayed okay, then pushed next page, which was okay too, but then next page again froze it up. No buttons would work. Not even the power button.
I assume a reset of the device resolved this. My question is does it happen every time? I've also heard about Kindle locking up at times when the power is very low level.

BOb
Old 10-24-2008, 04:57 PM   #57
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Help! Anybody have any suggestions concerning rlparker's post? I'd hate to scare people away from reading Mars Girl. Unfortunately I don't own a Kindle so I'm not able to offer any suggestions. Perhaps a new file needs to be generated? I'll help in any way I can.
As I replied to rlparker... this is only a problem if it is reproducible. I didn't try that on my Kindle so I can't give feedback on that right now.

BOb
Old 10-27-2008, 05:47 AM   #58
cbell
Frenetic
cbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipse

Device: iLiad V2
Smile

Quote:
Perhaps Jaspers redeems himself at the end (although cbell can't stand the guy).
That's true, I hate Jaspers. But... if I understood the ending of the book better, then perhaps I might not dislike him so much. The end justifies the means - maybe? I'll let you know when I've finished my second read (50 pages to go).

I'd thought a head could be used along with an assistant, as the hard-wired head connects would only link to certain defined numbers/people. So, in Ceci's case, hers doesn't get used much now but it used to.

I want an assistant for myself anyway

Last edited by cbell; 10-27-2008 at 05:48 AM. Reason: Trying to work out how that smiley got at the top of my post!
cbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 05:56 PM   #59
jgarrity
Enthusiast

To me, Jaspers missed his chance to be a hero. With millions of dollars rolling through the door and a good chance at billions, plus threats from the White House, he didn't have the guts to do what he knew was right early on. We've all been there, I think (except the millions and billions part). But he could've been nicer to his wife.

cbell has thought through the assistant/head difference more than I had. (I wrote it, but that doesn't mean understand it. I'm not sure where all this stuff comes from.) I see cbell's point, although I think being wired is sort of like having a cell phone in your head, which to me would be incredibly intrusive. I don't think many people (in Mars Girl world) are wired, and usually it's a career necessity paid for by someone else.

I think of the word "assistant" like the word "toaster." It refers to a device manufactured by many companies. And yes, I'm waiting for my assistant, too. I think I'll buy a reader first.
Old 11-01-2008, 04:52 PM   #60
winspiration
Connoisseur
winspiration is no ebook tyro.winspiration is no ebook tyro.winspiration is no ebook tyro.winspiration is no ebook tyro.winspiration is no ebook tyro.winspiration is no ebook tyro.winspiration is no ebook tyro.winspiration is no ebook tyro.winspiration is no ebook tyro.winspiration is no ebook tyro.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505, Kindle Fire HD
Thank you for making Mars Girl available - I really enjoyed it and thought it was a great read

It has a scary (but quite believable) view of the potential future role of the media, with lots of humour too.

As someone who can't get to grips with a mobile phone (I don't even like landline phones that much), I certainly wouldn't want my head wired
winspiration is offline   Reply With Quote