Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Self-Promotions by Authors and Publishers

Notices

Old 10-06-2008, 05:58 PM   #31
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
I was going to suggest feedbooks.com, but it is there already, see Feedbooks: Mars Girl.
Why isn't this in my Kindle Feedbook d/l guide? You mean I have to connect my Kindle to my Mac to read this?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 06:13 PM   #32
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The link has changed, it is now here.

I agree that it does not seem to be in the feedbooks Kindle guide. Perhaps the problem is that it is an "upload" rather than a "book".
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 06:27 PM   #33
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
The link has changed, it is now here.

I agree that it does not seem to be in the feedbooks Kindle guide. Perhaps the problem is that it is an "upload" rather than a "book".
Ok... no problem... I got it on my Kindle the ole Sony way.

BOb
Old 10-06-2008, 06:38 PM   #34
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgarrity View Post
Other than showcasing my limited abilities as a web designer and limited patience for design in general, what's wrong with the marsgirl.us site? I use Firefox and it seems to work. The template idea might be the way to go if I've gone too far astray. I downloaded a free web design program (Nvu) to make it. Maybe that was a mistake.
Nvu wasn't a mistake. It's the next generation of what had been the bundled HTML editor in Netscape Communicator, rewritten for the Mozilla Suite. You might wish to get Kompozer, which is a fork of Nvu with some bug fixes, but Nvu is quite capable. Using the high priced spread like Dreamweaver doesn't magically make a site good. All flows from the design, and the tools are simply aids to realizing it.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 09:11 PM   #35
jgarrity
Enthusiast
jgarrity doesn't litterjgarrity doesn't litterjgarrity doesn't litter

Device: Adobe Reader
Glad to hear Nvu is capable software. I just have to learn to make better use of it.

I need to edit the version on feedbooks. A book with 146 chapters requires a little extra work. Hadrien has been very helpful. I just need to find an hour and the gumption to give it another shot. Maybe the problems with the directory were caused when I deleted the original file and added a new one. I think I did that a couple times.
jgarrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 10:24 PM   #36
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Would anyone have an issue if I posted another LRF edition since the one posted here has not been corrected?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 03:23 PM   #37
jgarrity
Enthusiast

Mars Girl Cover Design Contest

I've attached the first submission (thanks, pdurrant!) to the Mars Girl Cover Design Contest. I also posted it on my web site (www.marsgirl.us) and will continue to post covers until the deadline, Jan. 15, 2009.

I've done some searching for web site design templates. Wordpress seems the best so far. Any other suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mg_cover_pd.png
Views:	328
Size:	279.7 KB
ID:	16882  
Old 10-08-2008, 03:29 PM   #38
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: iPhone
I love WordPress since I can use it to fit almost any need. It's much more than just a blogging software, if you bend it to your liking.
If your server supports it, I'd gladly help you get set up by installing WordPress for you. (Check if you got PHP and MySQL)

Last edited by mores; 10-08-2008 at 03:32 PM.
mores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 03:42 PM   #39
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mores View Post
I love WordPress since I can use it to fit almost any need. It's much more than just a blogging software, if you bend it to your liking.
If your server supports it, I'd gladly help you get set up by installing WordPress for you. (Check if you got PHP and MySQL)
I personally use Drupal. Just started using it, but there are tons of modules available for it like Wiki, Forum, etc. I have the font page set up to be a blog. I actually just finally got it set up and going and posted my first entry this past weekend.

BOb
Old 10-12-2008, 05:57 PM   #40
jgarrity
Enthusiast

I talked with the guy who hosts my site on his server and he said it would be a lot easier to create a Facebook page and encourage people to leave comments there, thus saving myself the trouble of installing blogging software. I could capture comments from the Facebook site and put them on my site. Sort of a "why reinvent the wheel" approach.

What's preferred, "ebook" or "e-book"? I see both here.
Old 10-12-2008, 07:04 PM   #41
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Quote:
I talked with the guy who hosts my site on his server and he said it would be a lot easier to create a Facebook page and encourage people to leave comments there, thus saving myself the trouble of installing blogging software. I could capture comments from the Facebook site and put them on my site. Sort of a "why reinvent the wheel" approach.

What's preferred, "ebook" or "e-book"? I see both here.
Well, I don't think that a Facebook page is really suited to replace a blog. It can make sense to have both, but I would create a blog first.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 07:09 PM   #42
Redcard
Addict
Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Your guy doesn't want to install blogging software?

It's hardly difficult to install wordpress. Sounds like he's being lazy.
Redcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 10:01 PM   #43
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I talked with the guy who hosts my site on his server and he said it would be a lot easier to create a Facebook page and encourage people to leave comments there, thus saving myself the trouble of installing blogging software.
Probably better to just get a free account at Wordpress.com. However, if you already have a web server and have ssh access installing wordpress shouldn't be to hard. I think you can even install it on cpanel type servers.

BOb
Old 10-13-2008, 03:10 AM   #44
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
That's more of a "Lemmelone" approach, your guy doesn't want to be bothered with it. All you need from him is access to a MySQL Database and you can pretty much install wordpress yourself. download, configure a config.php file and upload.

By the way, I am nearly halfway through your book and so far I must say that it is excellent!
mores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 07:25 PM   #45
jgarrity
Enthusiast

Thanks everybody for the input. I appreciate it.

I think the guy who hosts my site (a friend of mine) knows that I'd rather write than be a webmaster and he's probably trying to save me from myself by steering me down a path that won't require much effort, skill or technological derring-do. He was one of the first to read Mars Girl and has been very helpful, so, in his defense, I don't think he's trying to get out of doing any work. I'll keep considering the options and I do appreciate the ideas and comments. Maybe someday my site will rise above amateur status and reach the dizzying heights of semi-pro.

Mores, I was happy to see you're enjoying Mars Girl and I hope you feel compelled to toss in a comment when you're done.