Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-12-2011, 09:50 AM   #46
Torwan
Zealot
Torwan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Torwan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Torwan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Torwan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Torwan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Torwan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Torwan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Torwan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Torwan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Torwan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Torwan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3 (3G)
With a little luck, he didn't put all 1000 on them at once and can guess from the date the problems started which books may cause this. Then you can delete them, see if it makes a difference and if yes, put them back one by one until you can reproduce the issue.

The same can be done for all 1000 if you don't know. It's a lot of work, but it's probably better than having a non-functioning ebook-reader.
Torwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 10:10 AM   #47
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK3G, KPW1, Sony PRST1, Sony PRS350, iPod Touch 5G
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torwan View Post
With a little luck, he didn't put all 1000 on them at once and can guess from the date the problems started which books may cause this. Then you can delete them, see if it makes a difference and if yes, put them back one by one until you can reproduce the issue.

The same can be done for all 1000 if you don't know. It's a lot of work, but it's probably better than having a non-functioning ebook-reader.
If there is a book that has failed to index, it can be easily located by searching for "xqfvc" or a similar nonsense word. After a minute or two, the unindexed book or books will be listed.
TimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-12-2011, 10:13 AM   #48
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimW View Post
If there is a book that has failed to index, it can be easily located by searching for "xqfvc" or a similar nonsense word. After a minute or two, the unindexed book or books will be listed.
That will tell you the NUMBER of books that are currently unindexed, but it won't tell you WHICH books they are.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 10:27 AM   #49
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
That will tell you the NUMBER of books that are currently unindexed, but it won't tell you WHICH books they are.
If you click on the number line, it lists the books. I've done it a number of times.
Old 08-12-2011, 10:36 AM   #50
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
If you click on the number line, it lists the books. I've done it a number of times.
Wow - I didn't know it did that! You're absolutely right. Thank you .
Advert
Old 08-12-2011, 10:38 AM   #51
TimW
Wizard

Quote:
Wow - I didn't know it did that! You're absolutely right. Thank you .
It makes it very handy in finding a borked download. Then, you can archive it and try it again.

By the way, you are most welcome.

Last edited by TimW; 08-12-2011 at 10:41 AM.
Old 08-12-2011, 10:40 AM   #52
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
It makes it very handy in finding a borked download. Then, you can archive it and try it again.
You're absolutely right - that is exceptionally useful. A real "gem". Thanks!
Old 08-12-2011, 11:51 AM   #53
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Great tip. Karma to you!
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 02:16 PM   #54
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool oops!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas0039 View Post
Alan, I am not clear on this? Do you like touch screens? Do you not like touch screens? I just don't see a clear point of view in your posting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
i dislike touch screens just like everybody who i dittoed, but being a realist i accept that touch screens are very likely what's coming in the near future.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
I think we are the minority...

yup, the reality is probably that when it comes time to replace my kindle 3 a kindle with a touch screen will likely be what is available.
oops, i missed pointing out that @ProfCrash said 'I think we are the minority...' and my last and my comment was a reply to that.
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 02:35 PM   #55
howyoudoin
how YOU doin?
howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro 10.5”, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
I wouldn't purchase a touch screen kindle. I based my recent purchase of the kindle 3 fully knowing that there's a good chance of the next version being released within the next six months. My reasoning was that there aren't any significant advances in e-ink technology to make a newer purchase imperative. Color e-ink would be nice, but it'd price the next kindle way out of my budget anyway, were it to feature it. Touch screen would be a possible new feature, but I absolutely hate fingerprints and skin oils on the kindle bezel, let alone the actual screen. I'll probably hold on to my kindle 3 for a good couple of years or so, and only look to upgrade when a colour e-ink kindle becomes affordable over time.
howyoudoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 07:19 PM   #56
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Me and my Kindle2 are just chugging along, not giving one damn what's in store for the K4. I Expect my current Kindle to easily outlast it and the next incarnation as well.

Buy book, read words, I'm happy.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 10:31 PM   #57
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
Since there has been no real advance in eink display this year, I don't expect the k4 to be much of an improvement over my k3.

Unless amazon surprises us and comes out with 7" and/or higher res.
There is E-ink color. Article

Though not a very good improvement for reading books, but it would benefit newspaper & Magazine readers (And maybe web surfing)

I'm subscribed to Google alerts for Kindle 4
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 10:39 PM   #58
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Yes, I have a Sony PRS-350 with an IR touch screen. What I don't like is that I have fat fingers and find the touch screen to be much less accurate than the Kindle's 5-way controller when it comes to such things as text selection or looking up a word in the dictionary. Sure, there are things it's better for: opening a book, for example, is much easier. But overall I much prefer the Kindle's physical keyboard and 5-way controller.
Have you used the stylus?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 10:41 PM   #59
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tome Keeper View Post
Actually I have, my aunt brought her Kobo Touch over from the US during a recent visit and the screen had fingerprints on it, similar to the smudges I get on my Kindle screen when I touch it. Not impossible to read but distracting. Admittedly not as bad as LCD screens but still not good. The textured back thing on it also seemed to have several smudges as well.
Yes, there will be fingerprints. But it takes a while for the fingerprints to get to the point were you'll need to wipe the screen. I find I notice the fingerprints more on a blank screen then a screen with content. And one think that works in Sony's favor is swiping instead of taking to change the page. A tap will show more fingerprints then a swipe.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 11:30 PM   #60
eSheri
Addict
eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3+3G, Sony 350, Kindle Fire HD, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
My recommendation is to look at the recent advances in PC chips for clues as to what the new model will be like. The new processors have a lot lower power requirements then the older chips do, thus your new Kindle 4 will have a longer life battery then the 3 does. New chips have better resolution then the older chips do, thus your 4 will have better screen resolution then the 3. What the new chips do not tell you about is what Amazon does in firmware so I would assume nothing in that department so that you do not get disapointed. So I would recommend that you look for longer battery life and better screen resolution then what you have now.
In other words, I should stop biting my nails because they won't be that exciting.
I feel like you just took my roman candles and douced them in a pail of water! LoL
eSheri is offline   Reply With Quote