Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Development

Notices

Old 10-25-2023, 11:37 AM   #1
xtradeb
xtradeb began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx BOOX Note Air2 Plus
Unable to build calibre-6.29.0 on Ubuntu 23.04+

Hi!

I'm unable to build Calibre 6.29.0 on Ubuntu 23.10. I'm getting the following error:

Quote:
SIPing 4 files...
/usr/bin/python3.11 -c from sipbuild.tools.build import main; main(); --verbose --no-make --qmake /usr/bin/qmake6
usage: -c [-h] [-V] [--quiet] [--verbose] [--build-dir DIR]
[--scripts-dir DIR] [--target-dir DIR] [--api-dir DIR]
[--no-compile] [--no-version-info] [--concatenate N] [--debug]
[--disabled-feature TAG] [--no-docstrings] [--pep484-pyi]
[--protected-is-public] [--no-protected-is-public] [--tracing]
-c: error: unrecognized arguments: --no-make --qmake /usr/bin/qmake6
Not sure if this helps, but the build is working on Ubuntu 22.04 (python3-pyqt6.sip/jammy 13.2.1-2build1), but is failing, at least, since Ubuntu 23.04 (python3-pyqt6.sip/lunar 13.4.1-1build1).

Can you please advise?

For reference, this is the recipe I'm following (with minor tweaks): https://github.com/debian-calibre/ca.../master/debian

Thank you!
Jhonny Oliveira
https://xtradeb.net
xtradeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2023, 12:00 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
that means the version of sip-build on your system no longer supports some command line options calibre uses when building pyqt extensions. It should be a fairly simple patch to setup/build.py to fix it.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2023, 12:11 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No actually those options come from pyqtbuild not sipbuild and they are present at least in pyqt-builder 1.15.3 No idea why they are missing on your system
Old 10-25-2023, 01:45 PM   #4
xtradeb

I tried removing the offending parameters

Quote:
- '--verbose', '--no-make', '--qmake', QMAKE
+ '--verbose'
and I get

Quote:
SIPing 4 files...
/usr/bin/python3.11 -c from sipbuild.tools.build import main; main(); --verbose
-c: pyproject.toml: Unclosed array (at line 23, column 218)
I'm not a developer. It's best I wait for a more knowledgeable mind to crack this one.
Old 10-26-2023, 01:26 PM   #5
xtradeb

For furhter reference:
- Ubuntu 22.04
- python3-pyqtbuild 1.12.2+dfsg-1
- python3-sipbuild 6.6.2+dfsg-1~xtradeb1
- python3-pyqt6.sip 13.4.0-1~xtradeb1

- Ubuntu 23.10
- python3-pyqtbuild 1.15.2+dfsg-1
- python3-sipbuild 6.7.11+dfsg-1
- python3-pyqt6.sip 13.5.2-1

Is there anything else I can provide or do to help sorting this out?
Old 10-26-2023, 08:18 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

No idea, basically that error means sip-build is either not loading pyqt-build or pyqt-build is broken on the system. There isnt anything I can do about it from calibre. You need working pyqt-build to build calibre.
Old 11-24-2023, 01:17 PM   #7
xtradeb

Hi!

I looked into the changes prior to the failure and I found a workaround. See patch below.
Both, my local environment and launchpad.net (https://launchpad.net/~xtradeb/+arch...-archive-extra) are affected by the lines I'm removing as part of the workaround.
Strangely enough, the official source build system is not: https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/calibre/7.0.0+ds-1

I'm not very knowledgeable in python. So, could you you please provide me a small patch to dump those variables (QMAKE_*) into to the build log? Hopefully, we will be able to understand why the build fails from it.

Quote:
--- a/setup/build.py
+++ b/setup/build.py
@@ -687,16 +687,6 @@
{abi_version}
sip-include-dirs = ["/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/PyQt6/bindings"]

-[tool.sip.builder]
-qmake-settings = [
- 'QMAKE_CC = {self.env.cc}',
- 'QMAKE_CXX = {self.env.cxx}',
- 'QMAKE_LINK = {self.env.linker or self.env.cxx}',
- 'QMAKE_CFLAGS += {shlex.join(self.env.base_cflags)}',
- 'QMAKE_CXXFLAGS += {shlex.join(self.env.base_cxxflags)}',
- 'QMAKE_LFLAGS += {shlex.join(self.env.base_ldflags)}',
-]
-
[tool.sip.bindings.{ext.name}]
headers = {ext.headers}
sources = {sorted(ext.sources)}
Thanks!

Last edited by xtradeb; 11-24-2023 at 01:20 PM.
Old 11-24-2023, 02:22 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Now you can try building calibre 7.10.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2023, 06:46 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Code:
print(open(os.path.join(src_dir, 'pyproject.toml')).read())
Old 11-26-2023, 08:04 AM   #10
xtradeb

Hi!

You can find resulting [tool.sip.builder] below, as you can see both QMAKE_*FLAGS are broken due to un-escaped quotes.

Quote:
[tool.sip.builder]
qmake-settings = [
'QMAKE_CC = gcc',
'QMAKE_CXX = g++',
'QMAKE_LINK = g++',
'QMAKE_CFLAGS += -g -O2 -ffile-prefix-map=/build/calibre-60FUQS/calibre-7.1.0+ds=. -flto=auto -ffat-lto-objects -fstack-protector-strong -fstack-clash-protection -Wformat -Werror=format-security -fcf-protection '-fdebug-prefix-map=/build/calibre-60FUQS/calibre-7.1.0+ds=/usr/src/calibre-7.1.0+ds-1~xtradeb1' -Wdate-time -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2',
'QMAKE_CXXFLAGS += -g -O2 -ffile-prefix-map=/build/calibre-60FUQS/calibre-7.1.0+ds=. -flto=auto -ffat-lto-objects -fstack-protector-strong -fstack-clash-protection -Wformat -Werror=format-security -fcf-protection '-fdebug-prefix-map=/build/calibre-60FUQS/calibre-7.1.0+ds=/usr/src/calibre-7.1.0+ds-1~xtradeb1' -Wdate-time -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2',
'QMAKE_LFLAGS += -Wl,-Bsymbolic-functions -flto=auto -ffat-lto-objects -Wl,-z,relro -Wl,-z,now',
]
Any ideas?

Thank you!
Old 11-26-2023, 08:32 AM   #11
xtradeb

Hi again!

I came up with this patch:

Quote:
--- a/setup/build.py
+++ b/setup/build.py
@@ -692,8 +692,8 @@
'QMAKE_CC = {self.env.cc}',
'QMAKE_CXX = {self.env.cxx}',
'QMAKE_LINK = {self.env.linker or self.env.cxx}',
- 'QMAKE_CFLAGS += {shlex.join(self.env.base_cflags)}',
- 'QMAKE_CXXFLAGS += {shlex.join(self.env.base_cxxflags)}',
+ 'QMAKE_CFLAGS += {shlex.join(self.env.base_cflags).replace("'",'"') }',
+ 'QMAKE_CXXFLAGS += {shlex.join(self.env.base_cxxflags).replace("'",'" ')}',
'QMAKE_LFLAGS += {shlex.join(self.env.base_ldflags)}',
]
It seems to work, but I'm not sure how reliable it might be. Any thoughts?

Thank you!
Old 11-27-2023, 05:13 AM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Well, the correct solution is to use the correct escaping algorithm for strings in toml. Sadly the python stdlib stupidly doesnt have a way to write toml despite python blessing toml as its build configuration format. I dont know what's going on in python land these days but they really do some of the most boneheaded things.

This should fix it as a practical matter
https://github.com/kovidgoyal/calibr...a3416b0bacfb8d
Old 11-27-2023, 04:29 PM   #13
xtradeb

It works. Thank you very much!