Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-16-2013, 03:13 PM   #1
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
kepub problem

I'm having a problem with a kepub...

I keep a notes file that I use for keeping track of series information. It is an rtf file. If I run this thru Calibre to create an ePub, and then use Calibre to transfer it to my Glo (it ends up as a kepub):

1) I don't always end up in the same place when coming out of sleep, or opening the book from the home screen
2) Some times when I open the book (from the home screen, or after waking from sleep), the top or bottom lines are truncated.

If I transfer the ePub file using Windows File Explorer, everything is fine.

I attached an rtf file (and the converted ePub file) that demonstrates the problem. To reproduce the problem:

1) Change the font so there are about 5 pages/screens
2) Exit to the home screen
3) open the book again

For example: When I close the book (exit to the home screen), I'm on page 4 and "Line 39" is at the top of the screen; when I open the book, I'm on page 5, "Line 50" is at the top of the page, and the top half of "Line 50" is missing.

I'm using a Glo with 2.5.1.
Attached Files
File Type: rtf test - Unknown.rtf (1.3 KB, 216 views)
File Type: epub test - Unknown.epub (132.0 KB, 140 views)
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 03:47 PM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Obviously you have the Extended Touch driver installed. One of the known issues with it is that bookmarks / annotations / last location don't work reliably.

I believe there is an option to disable it's handling of materials. Maybe you need to disable it's processing before sending this particular document.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-16-2013, 04:00 PM   #3
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks Peter. I can just transfer the ePub using file explorer. So is the disappearing half line driver related also?
Old 05-16-2013, 04:04 PM   #4
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Dunno... I do know I have seen (and reported many times to Kobo) an issue where some contents of a line of an ePub go "missing" based on the combination of font and size selected. This was reported to them last October, along with a test case....
Old 05-16-2013, 04:36 PM   #5
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
It might have been better to upload the kepub.epub version in order to demonstrate the problem.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-16-2013, 04:39 PM   #6
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Dunno... I do know I have seen (and reported many times to Kobo) an issue where some contents of a line of an ePub go "missing" based on the combination of font and size selected. This was reported to them last October, along with a test case....
Peter, correct me if I am wrong about this, but I thought that this issue was (mostly) resolved in one of the betas and then popped up again. I don't use all of the fonts, but I know that Nickel is still a problem--the descenders are cut off, and I get extra white space in Amasis.

Georgia seems "fixed" on the kepubs I have read lately. The optimist in me is thinking that this might be the first font they took care of when the last FW was (hurriedly) released because it is the default font for the reader when it is first set-up.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 05:07 PM   #7
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person
jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
1) I don't always end up in the same place when coming out of sleep, or opening the book from the home screen
Known issue with the driver. Working on it, promise! (But I don't promise it'll be fixed anytime soon...)

Quote:
2) Some times when I open the book (from the home screen, or after waking from sleep), the top or bottom lines are truncated.
If you have hyphenation enabled, this may be a known issue with the renderer (issues with kepub files with soft hyphens). I don't know if this is another manifestation of the same bug, but it's (IMO) a reasonable starting point. If you don't have hyphenation, it's been seen but I can't tell if it's a driver or renderer bug. It could also be related to your first item.
jgoguen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 06:06 PM   #8
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
Peter, correct me if I am wrong about this, but I thought that this issue was (mostly) resolved in one of the betas and then popped up again. I don't use all of the fonts, but I know that Nickel is still a problem--the descenders are cut off, and I get extra white space in Amasis.

Georgia seems "fixed" on the kepubs I have read lately. The optimist in me is thinking that this might be the first font they took care of when the last FW was (hurriedly) released because it is the default font for the reader when it is first set-up.
No... never been fixed in any of the beta's for me. I still have an excerpt from an ePub that will demonstrate this problem each and every time.
Old 05-16-2013, 06:08 PM   #9
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
It might have been better to upload the kepub.epub version in order to demonstrate the problem.
Challenge there is that he would have to grab the kEpub from the device itself.

@jgoguen: Any chance of adding a debug option to the driver that would "clone" off a copy of a book as it is being sent to the reader?
Old 05-17-2013, 03:37 AM   #10
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Challenge there is that he would have to grab the kEpub from the device itself.
It seems to be only a minor challenge for someone who is able to "transfer the ePub using file explorer" (cf. post 3.). Of course, if there were an option to the effect that the driver produces a local copy, it would be even easier.
Old 05-17-2013, 04:42 AM   #11
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person
jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Oasis
I think I could come up with something like that. GitHub bug report please?
jgoguen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 07:14 AM   #12
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
I think I could do it, but it appears unnecessary, seeing as it is a "known issue"?
Old 05-17-2013, 10:17 AM   #13
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
I think I could do it
I never had any doubt about that.