Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 09-06-2009, 06:03 AM   #1
nomesque
Snooty Bestselling Author
nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650
How many stories?

I've noticed that my 'muse' (read, imagination, subconscious, whatever) just isn't happy unless I have 10 stories on the go at once. TEN. Once I hit that magic number, I seem to be able to buckle down and work on each of them until at least one is finished.

This is ridiculous. But really, I don't have the time or energy to try harder to get focus happening. If it comes out, well, hot damn, that's a good day, cos it's competing with toddler and job and marriage and housework and sleep and Buffy and knitting for space in my brain

Anyone else in the same boat?
nomesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 07:00 AM   #2
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomesque View Post
I've noticed that my 'muse' (read, imagination, subconscious, whatever) just isn't happy unless I have 10 stories on the go at once. TEN. Once I hit that magic number, I seem to be able to buckle down and work on each of them until at least one is finished.

This is ridiculous. But really, I don't have the time or energy to try harder to get focus happening. If it comes out, well, hot damn, that's a good day, cos it's competing with toddler and job and marriage and housework and sleep and Buffy and knitting for space in my brain

Anyone else in the same boat?

At least that many at any one time. Sometimes in a day
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2009, 04:41 PM   #3
nomesque
nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
At least that many at any one time. Sometimes in a day
Ya know, I thought about who might reply to this thread, and I had my bets on you as a fiction-polygamist...
Old 09-07-2009, 01:46 AM   #4
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Quote:
Ya know, I thought about who might reply to this thread, and I had my bets on you as a fiction-polygamist...
Fictionally I live in Utah...and I has me many wives *that came out a lot more creepy than it was intended to be*.
Old 09-07-2009, 01:54 AM   #5
nomesque

Quote:
Fictionally I live in Utah...and I has me many wives *that came out a lot more creepy than it was intended to be*.

No husbands? How sexist.
Advert
Old 09-07-2009, 01:56 AM   #6
Moejoe
Banned

Quote:

No husbands? How sexist.
Crap, if NOW hear about this I won't be able to hold my head up again
Old 09-07-2009, 02:18 AM   #7
Winter
Enthusiast
Winter writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Winter writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Winter writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Winter writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Winter writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Winter writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Winter writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Winter writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Winter writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Winter writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Winter writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Asus EeePC
I tend to have several projects going at once, some stories, some game development. Right now I have got:

2 novels (and another one on the back burner)
2 short stories
2 game design projects (and another one soon to start)

It's too much, I can only really work on 3 or so at a time, but they all continue to make slow progress towards being finished.

Regards,
Ryan
Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 02:27 AM   #8
nomesque

Quote:
Crap, if NOW hear about this I won't be able to hold my head up again
Yup. OR your typewriter :P
Old 09-07-2009, 02:30 AM   #9
Moejoe
Banned

Quote:
Yup. OR your typewriter :P
Old 09-07-2009, 02:30 AM   #10
nomesque

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter View Post
It's too much, I can only really work on 3 or so at a time, but they all continue to make slow progress towards being finished.
Uh huh. Funnily enough, if I cut down to 'sensible' levels, I lose all creativity - which kinda sucks. Meh. I think my subconscious needs stress to slide away from in order to chuck out creativity. Kinda like a 'stress distractor' - hey look at the pretty sparkly thing!!!
Old 09-07-2009, 02:36 AM   #11
Moejoe
Banned

Quote:
Uh huh. Funnily enough, if I cut down to 'sensible' levels, I lose all creativity - which kinda sucks. Meh. I think my subconscious needs stress to slide away from in order to chuck out creativity. Kinda like a 'stress distractor' - hey look at the pretty sparkly thing!!!
Here's what I have before me now

Writing: #6 of Hoppersville, "In a Season of Burning" novella an a new short story inspired by the Pixies song "Cactus".

Editing - A Superhero Named Tony, A Mouth full of Butterfly and That Vagabond Itch.

Thinking about: zombies and Singapore slings (Joni Mitchell gave me another two ideas this morning for stories. I'm officially making her my MUSE)
Old 09-07-2009, 02:48 AM   #12
nomesque

Quote:
Here's what I have before me now

Writing: #6 of Hoppersville, "In a Season of Burning" novella an a new short story inspired by the Pixies song "Cactus".

Editing - A Superhero Named Tony, A Mouth full of Butterfly and That Vagabond Itch.
*nod* Nice collection of WIPs. I'm working on a fairytale-turned-modern-turned-epic, an uber-Aussie story about a mystery virus, and a feminist take on the old polygamist-gets-found-out trope. And last night I woke up to type out an argument between a New-Ager and a christian Word-of-Faither about what exactly was causing their friend's breathing problems. Er?

Quote:
Thinking about: zombies and Singapore slings (Joni Mitchell gave me another two ideas this morning for stories. I'm officially making her my MUSE)
You're not alone - http://www.google.com/search?client=...ell+is+my+muse
Old 09-07-2009, 02:45 PM   #13
Kevin Gerard
Kevin Gerard
Kevin Gerard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin Gerard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin Gerard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin Gerard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin Gerard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin Gerard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin Gerard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin Gerard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin Gerard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin Gerard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin Gerard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
You're super-human

I usually work on three or four projects at one time. This summer I got quite a bit done, but paid for it with burn-out. I admire anyone who can manage that many stories at once.

I have this quirky thought about my characters. Whenever I stop writing the story, they also stop, like they're in freeze-frame or something. They can't continue with their lives until I start typing again. That gives me the incentive to keep the stories going.

I know, I'm wEiRd......
Kevin Gerard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 04:59 PM   #14
Moxie Mezcal
Human Fly
Moxie Mezcal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Moxie Mezcal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Moxie Mezcal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Moxie Mezcal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Moxie Mezcal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Moxie Mezcal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Moxie Mezcal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Moxie Mezcal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Moxie Mezcal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Moxie Mezcal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Moxie Mezcal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPad
Guess I'm a slacker compared with everyone else... I usually only have one major project going on at a time that I really buckle down and write. At the same time, I'll have one or two "lighter" projects that are basically receptacles for all the ideas I couldn't quite fit into my main work.

The short-novella I have on Feedbooks, Sweet Dream, Silver Screen, is such a thing - it's really just stringing together assorted characters or scenarios I couldn't quite work into my novel and giving them (hopefully) some semblance of coherence. I've got another short I'll be posting soon that's also along those lines.

Other than that, I keep tiny little black notebooks that I use to jot down ideas or snippets or character sketches that eventually may become something.
Moxie Mezcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 11:11 PM   #15
nomesque

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Gerard View Post
I usually work on three or four projects at one time. This summer I got quite a bit done, but paid for it with burn-out. I admire anyone who can manage that many stories at once.

I have this quirky thought about my characters. Whenever I stop writing the story, they also stop, like they're in freeze-frame or something. They can't continue with their lives until I start typing again. That gives me the incentive to keep the stories going.

I know, I'm wEiRd......
GAH! I can't stand to think like that! I'd have about 20 characters stuck in stasis, glaring resentfully at me...

In my case, I'm not sure it's so much 'managing' them as finding inspiration for them. My brain seems to spark off at random tangents half the time, and if it's not sparking on a certain storyline, that's just life, go on to the current 'spark' until we light upon a previous storyline