Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Will you buy a next gen iPad Mini Retina?
Yes, no questions asked. 22 15.28%
Maybe, if the price and specs are right. 42 29.17%
I don't know. 7 4.86%
No, absolutely not. 73 50.69%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-10-2013, 11:33 PM   #16
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddos View Post
I voted No because I have no interest in buying an iPad at all. I will welcome the concept of an iPad Mini Retina because it will drive the rest of the market to develop high dpi smaller tablets, but the iOS device itself is unappealing to me.
Well, the nook HD at 243dpi is arguably retina, and the upcoming Nexus 7 replacement is rumoured to come with a 1920x1080 display, which would also land it in the "retina" camp. So, this time there's no need to drive the market, this is the year of the high dpi all by itself.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:48 PM   #17
amward
Wizard
amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Eco Eclipse, Sony PRS 350 (pink), Ipod Touch, Kindle Touch
I voted I don't know, I am lusting after the mini to take the place of my white Mac, not sure about the retina display at this point.
amward is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2013, 01:52 AM   #18
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Well, the nook HD at 243dpi is arguably retina, and the upcoming Nexus 7 replacement is rumoured to come with a 1920x1080 display, which would also land it in the "retina" camp. So, this time there's no need to drive the market, this is the year of the high dpi all by itself.
It seems that soon the usual way of distinguishing a tablet which has long been the screen will be moot. Everyone will have a great screen. Internally the tablets are about the same by now, all easily play any video.

The only way left to bring notice is in the price arena with most trying for low prices and Apple left by itself in the high price bracket which will be its only unique quality.

Ad: "Hey buy an Apple. It has that high price you have been searching for!"

This does not bode well for Apple.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:34 AM   #19
Valkrider
Addict
Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, iPadAir2, PRS600, iPhone 6, iPod, Palm TX
I voted No because I already have an iPad mini. Personally, I don't see what all the fuss is about over "Retina" displays, my eyes can't perceive a difference on the apps that I use.
Valkrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:55 AM   #20
toddos
Guru
toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nokia Lumia 920 (Freda)
Quote:
I thought the "retina" definition (pre iPad3 and Macbook, anyway) was "over 300dpi"? Current 1280x800-ish 7" tablets don't hit that. 1920x1080 (314ppi @ 7") is pretty much the minimum required.
toddos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2013, 07:47 AM   #21
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I voted no. I don't want a 7" device.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:22 AM   #22
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
I didn't get an iPad mini because I wanted a retina display. I would prefer the smaller size to my iPad 2, and will upgrade when the iPad mini w/retina display is out.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:15 AM   #23
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I am another who is waiting for the iPad Mini with a retina display. When you are used to it on your iPhone and full-size iPad then the difference is really apparent (at least to my eyes).
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:24 AM   #24
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2017 10.5" iPad Pro (Kobo, NOOK, Kindle, Google Play Books & Scribd)
I didn't vote, but I'm another "no" -- I have an iPad 3 (with retina) and I think the Mini is too small to be useful as a tablet and too expensive to be justifiable as a reader.
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:55 AM   #25
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddos View Post
I thought the "retina" definition (pre iPad3 and Macbook, anyway) was "over 300dpi"? Current 1280x800-ish 7" tablets don't hit that. 1920x1080 (314ppi @ 7") is pretty much the minimum required.
"Retina" is a buzzword whose definition changes with the wind. When introduced, "retina" implied "300ppi or over", but with the ipad3, it changed to "something else", as the new ipads are nowhere near 300ppi, yet they're "retina", and the same happens with the mbpro, which has 220ppi, far below 300, but it's labelled "retina" nevertheless.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:07 PM   #26
Sregener
Addict
Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4NT
When they patch IOS to fix the memory leaks in the last version that runs on my iPad 1, I'll be a happy customer again. However, this seems to be an unlikely event, and ultimately led to my buying a Nexus 7. I miss the bigger screen of the iPad, but everything else about the Nexus is better. I simply refuse to give Apple another $400-$500 for a device that they will break just before ending support for it.
Sregener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 01:13 PM   #27
BWinmill
Nameless Being

No. The format is too awkward for reading: too cumbersome for reading novels, while too small for reading technical literature. Outside of that, I have no love for iOS because it is a closed ecosystem. (I'm not saying that as an Apple Hater because I do like my Mac. It's just that I like programming and tweaking and having a broad range of applications to choose from. iOS doesn't offer that without paying up Apple or jailbreaking it.)
Old 02-11-2013, 01:39 PM   #28
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
"Retina" is a buzzword whose definition changes with the wind. When introduced, "retina" implied "300ppi or over"
When retina was introduced, it meant that when used at a normal distance individual pixels could not be resolved by someone of normal vision.

Last edited by murraypaul; 02-11-2013 at 05:08 PM.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 03:00 PM   #29
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Having bought a Nexus 7 for my hubby, I can say that it does not have enough resolution for me to read on comfortably. At the same time, having a Samsung Galaxy Note for portability, I found the 7" screen nice, but still not what I'd prefer in a tablet. So I'm vastly more interested in a Nexus 10 if I'm going to have a tablet at all. I could see liking an 8" device if I could get one with resolution as good as the Note or better.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 04:01 PM   #30
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
I do not think I would be interested in a retina display on the 7" tablet. I only want a 10" tablet now. The 7" just is too small for a tablet for my taste. I will wait for the next generation of 10" tablets and decide from there. I hope the resolution gets an improvement on all the tablets.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote