Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Will you buy a next gen iPad Mini Retina?
Yes, no questions asked. 22 15.28%
Maybe, if the price and specs are right. 42 29.17%
I don't know. 7 4.86%
No, absolutely not. 73 50.69%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-12-2013, 05:04 PM   #31
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
...My favorite handwriting app, Noteshelf, will be ported to Android soon, and when that happens, I may actually not need an iPad any more. It's silly that one app holds me back, but I could not function without it any more.
I know how you feel. My favorite handwriting app is WritePad for iPad, and it keeps me tied to iPad because the only other version I've seen, WritePad for Android, is a pale comparison. Same company; but the way the app works on non-Apple devices is rather pitiful. I bought it for my grandson's Fire and it disappointed me greatly.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 05:40 PM   #32
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
I would not buy one for my own use, I need the larger size for my primary uses of comic and magazine reading.

However, I might buy one for my daughter. I think an iPad Mini is the right size for her, but the combination of the current price and screen resolution just isn't worth it to me. I don't want to pay more than half again the price of a Nexus 7 for something that's not at least equal if not demonstrably better in every way, including screen resolution.

Putting a retina display on an iPad Mini would bring the value more closely into line with the price, and that's always a good thing.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:42 PM   #33
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I know how you feel. My favorite handwriting app is WritePad for iPad, and it keeps me tied to iPad because the only other version I've seen, WritePad for Android, is a pale comparison. Same company; but the way the app works on non-Apple devices is rather pitiful. I bought it for my grandson's Fire and it disappointed me greatly.
Someone who understands me!!!!
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:46 PM   #34
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
When retina was introduced, it meant that when used at a normal distance individual pixels could not be resolved by someone of normal vision.
Not really, Jobs mentioned the 300dpi threshold as "retina".

Quote:
“…there’s a magic number around 300dpi, if you hold something about 10-12 inches away from your eye, it’s the limit of the human retina to distinguish pixels.”
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:02 PM   #35
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
I got a chance to see an iPad mini, and the screen struck me as an awkward size: too big for a pocket or my purse, too small to really see things well.

why I've decided I want an iPad: for maps of Ankh-Morpork.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:34 PM   #36
injapan
Addict
injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11, Kobo Arua 2 and iPad Air 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
Being male I do not need a Maxi or Mini Pad.
Apache
what being MALE got to do with anything?

I was a little negative about the iPad mini until I actually used it in a store, I am sure the next mini will be cheaper and have a better display
injapan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:37 PM   #37
mrscoach
Guru
mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy tab
Nope, no aPple products for me. Didn't like dealing with them. Unless I am given one of their products I won't own one. I don't think they want me as a customer, either. Threatening to reach in and pull a certain male body part through my phone tends to scare people away.
mrscoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:42 PM   #38
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
Being male I do not need a Maxi or Mini Pad.
Apache
Quote:
Originally Posted by injapan View Post
what being MALE got to do with anything?...
It's a joke. I see your location shows Japan. It may be a language-barrier thing. These links should explain it.

Maxi-Pads:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sanitary_napkin

Mini-pads:
http://www.google.com/patents/US4237591

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 02-12-2013 at 10:45 PM.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:18 AM   #39
forsooth
tec montage
forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindles, lenovo, chromebook, mobiles
Quote:
It's a joke. I see your location shows Japan. It may be a language-barrier thing. These links should explain it.

Maxi-Pads:

Mini-pads:
I think 2 jokers
1 in ga
1 in japan

didnot know Indians in ga?

on subject
I wnat to see apple device
forsooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:32 AM   #40
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Excelsior! (Strange...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyBoy View Post
I have the iPad 3 and love the retina display for dealing with the teeny tiny print on digitized magazines and historical documents.

The downside, since i now use it for 80% of my web surfing and entertainment is the darn thing is too heavy. My bunky has the mini and the size and weight is great, but i would need the higher resolution for some of my reading - i tested it out on his and i needed to enlarge stuff to 110-120% to be able to read all the fine print clearly. So I'm biding my time waiting for the retina mini, and hopefully it will be available in 128 GB. My original iPad had 64GB and i made the mistake of dropping to 16 GB when i bought the iPad 3. Big mistake. Huge.
Are you sure you aren't me?
Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:52 AM   #41
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Excelsior! (Strange...)
I'm a happy inmate of the Apple ecosystem. I have an iPad 3 which serves me well in place of the laptop I would otherwise have. But I will add a retina mini when one comes out, because of weight & portability considerations. I will buy it in lieu of buying another full sized next generation iPad - I'll keep my 3 for reading newspapers & magazines, & watching videos. Unless, of course, it turns out that the mini can handle those functions well enough to suit me. I expect I'll get one with cellular capability, for traveling.

If I did not have an iPad, and were buying my first, it would be the mini. Looks to me like Steve was wrong about this one - or engaging in misdirection.
Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:12 AM   #42
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by forsooth View Post
They hide in caves
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 04:15 AM   #43
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Not really, Jobs mentioned the 300dpi threshold as "retina".
Here is what I said:
Quote:
When retina was introduced, it meant that when used at a normal distance individual pixels could not be resolved by someone of normal vision.
Here is what he said:
Quote:
“…there’s a magic number around 300dpi, if you hold something about 10-12 inches away from your eye, it’s the limit of the human retina to distinguish pixels.”
It is 300 dpi for something held at 10-12 inches, it would be different for something held at a different distance.

Quote:
the limit of the human retina to distinguish pixels
I think I said that too.
murraypaul is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:51 AM   #44
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
I think 2 jokers
1 in ga
1 in japan...
I was wondering if my leg was being pulled. Wouldn't be the first time.
Old 02-13-2013, 06:29 AM   #45
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:

Maxi-Pads:

Mini-pads:

Quote:
I think 2 jokers
1 in ga
1 in japan

on subject
I wnat to see apple device
There were Indians all over North America, until the Europeans brought disease and pestulence.

Quote:
I was wondering if my leg was being pulled. Wouldn't be the first time.

Apache is offline   Reply With Quote