Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 08-26-2009, 01:31 PM   #1
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
eReader question

Dear RobertB,

Since the shipping date is so close now it seems likely that eReader support will not come installed with these shipments, is that correct? Do you plan to add eReader suport through some sort of an update later?

I imagine you will post here as soon as support for eReader is added and I know about your NDA restrictions, but do you have any idea about how much longer before we will get word about eReader?

Thank you for your support.
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 03:26 PM   #2
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
Fictionwise eReader coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6charlong View Post
Dear RobertB,

Since the shipping date is so close now it seems likely that eReader support will not come installed with these shipments, is that correct? Do you plan to add eReader suport through some sort of an update later?

I imagine you will post here as soon as support for eReader is added and I know about your NDA restrictions, but do you have any idea about how much longer before we will get word about eReader?

Thank you for your support.
Dear 6charlong:

There are SO-O-O many threads now. It was posted on most other threads but let me bring you up to date.

We finally know the SDK is done from Fictionwise for eReader in Linux. They are owned by Barnes&Noble and that means everything is in legaleze. It takes 8 paragraphs to say what could be said in one sentence. This is normal when dealing with HUGE companies.

Last week we finally got one of two final eReader contracts. They were kind to us and we do not have a problem with the one. We are waiting for the second bigger contract. IF it is alright, THEN the SDK goes to the factory for porting into the device. Then samples can be sent to Fictionwise and, once accepted, we can do the firmware upgrade to get that into the EZ Reader. I do not believe that this violates the NDA we have in place with Fictionwise.

So, we are closer than ever to seeing it happen!

Last edited by Robertb; 08-26-2009 at 03:34 PM.
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-26-2009, 03:45 PM   #3
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
This is great news!

I'll try to explain myself without putting my foot in it again. About ten years ago I was one of the first to get a Hewlett Packard Pocket PC. In no time I found that the best thing about it was the book reader. Then Microsoft and HP between them vaporized MS Reader: MS changed the DRM for MS Reader and HP announced that the model I had lacked the resources to support the upgrade. Thus I was unable to buy any more books for it.

I wished at the time I had eReader except at the time it would only run on Palm OS Now eReader supports more hardware than anything. To me, the lesson was that in an emerging industry like the digital field, find maximum flexibility in the hardware and software combination to protect your investment.

This was a long story to explain one reason I like eReader and why it's a major reason I chose the Pocket Pro.
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 03:50 PM   #4
Musicman
Evangelist
Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: EZ-Reader - Samsung Nook's- Nook S/T w/Glow - Kindle Fire - Nova 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6charlong View Post
I wished at the time I had eReader except at the time it would only run on Palm OS Now eReader supports more hardware than anything. To me, the lesson was that in an emerging industry like the digital field, find maximum flexibility in the hardware and software combination to protect your investment.

This was a long story to explain one reason I like eReader and why it's a major reason I chose the Pocket Pro.
Future Ereader support was the reason I also went with EZ-Reader and Pocket Pro. As a bonus Astak threw in Adobe Digital Support and I am also reading library books. For me, this represents the perfect package...
Musicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 04:13 PM   #5
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?
griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Slate Blue PEZ (Astak Pocket Pro), CVSCX-9300 Quad-band watch phone
I mentioned this in the LLounge somewhere, but one thing I really like about the EZ line is the ability to play MP3 and read at the same time. Here is why.

Not for music.

I have a free ebook on learning Esperanto. I also downloaded free accompanying MP3 audio files of the book. I plan on playing the chapter audio tracks while reading, hence I learn pronunciation, inflection, listening while reading, and will learn the language that much faster.

Imagine, learning a new language while riding the bus/train to work, or on a flight.
griffonwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-26-2009, 04:20 PM   #6
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
(Off topic) May I ask where you came across this ebook? I was part of the esperanto club in college, but never actually got around to getting a book on the subject.
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 04:26 PM   #7
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?
griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sure. It's The Project Gutenberg EBook of The Esperanto Teacher, by Helen Fryer

also, the audio can be downloaded here.

http://librivox.org/the-esperanto-te...y-helen-fryer/

Last edited by griffonwing; 08-26-2009 at 04:30 PM.
Old 08-26-2009, 04:54 PM   #8
Robertb
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

New Esperanto Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffonwing View Post
Sure. It's The Project Gutenberg EBook of The Esperanto Teacher, by Helen Fryer

also, the audio can be downloaded here.

http://librivox.org/the-esperanto-te...y-helen-fryer/
The new EZ Esperanto PRO will be coming in a month. The format is Adobe Esperanto Digital. The TTS only does Esperanto. It has 24 level grey scale for great pictures of Helen Fryer. It comes in Esperanto Brown only; but includes pictures of Jose Esperanto and his 12 children fishing in Arkansas with a cane pole. It is a 6.324 inch ebook reader as Jose was always a stickler on numbers. Cost is $1,724.31 plus shipping. Yes, it does come with the Esperanto Crush-Incessant Case and Ear Plugs.

Post to Griffonwing to pre-order.
Old 08-26-2009, 04:56 PM   #9
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertb View Post
The new EZ Esperanto PRO will be coming in a month. The format is Adobe Esperanto Digital. The TTS only does Esperanto. It has 24 level grey scale for great pictures of Helen Fryer. It comes in Esperanto Brown only; but includes pictures of Jose Esperanto and his 12 children fishing in Arkansas with a cane pole. It is a 6.324 inch ebook reader as Jose was always a stickler on numbers. Cost is $1,724.31 plus shipping. Yes, it does come with the Esperanto Crush-Incessant Case and Ear Plugs.

Post to Griffonwing to pre-order.
Is this so you don't have to hear incessant marketing drivel?
Old 08-26-2009, 05:17 PM   #10
Robertb

Incessant Marketing Dribble!

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffonwing View Post
Is this so you don't have to hear incessant marketing drivel?
Yes, I do need to tone down a bit; but new members are finding this forum and I need to refresh.

There is good news. The Mobile Gadgeteer (Matthew Miller) and Chamber Four are going to do reviews of the Pocket PRO. It will be about three weeks before they get the review out but both are well-known and excited.

Chamber Four had not exactly liked the idea of "Hanlin Clones" and said so... but now he understands the value of full USA support and is willing to be open-minded... stressing the features of the device and what comes with it! We started out two days ago belching fire at each other... but have become good friends and now he has a place to go to get his questions answered.

Matthew Miller is very famous, specializes in eBook Readers, and is a great guy!!
Old 08-26-2009, 05:23 PM   #11
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?

Excellent news!