Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-19-2014, 09:31 PM   #21016
alansplace
Wizard
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2, Kindle KB, Kindle PW 1 & 2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire 2
Cool Oops!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
I really liked Generation 18. It was an interesting story set in a future time period and in an unusual (to me) location. It's late in the 21st Century (my guess is about 2070) in Melbourne, Australia. Also there are interesting characters and they live in an interesting society not that different than our western society of today. There are only 3 books so far in this series, which only leaves me 1 book to go so I really hope that there'll be more of them written and published.

Next, Going Dark (Silo 49 #1) by Ann Christy. Hugh Howey talks in the below quote about this book on his web site, including links to it on Amazon.
Oops! I forgot to mention that Going Dark is currently a freebie on Amazon.

Last edited by alansplace; 10-20-2014 at 09:49 AM.
alansplace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 08:17 AM   #21017
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
I read Prince of Thorns by Mark Lawrence over the weekend, and thought it was great. A first-person narrative from a properly twisted anti-hero. Pretty short for an epic/heroic fantasy, but unusual and well-told. I'm looking forward to the rest of the series.

City of Stairs by Robert Jackson Bennett was also good. I mentioned it in my last post when I was in the middle. Another off-beat fantasy. It was sold to me as a fantasy version of George Smiley, but I don't remember Smiley getting in that much trouble. In that sense it didn't really work for me - I felt I spotted a few turns of plot before our supposedly bright heroine, who also managed to walk right into an obvious trap - but it was a very interesting world, with a background of real gods and extremely powerful miraculous magic, and lots of colonial and technological complications.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 07:22 PM   #21018
Loosheesh
Wizard
Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KindlePW + iPad3 + SGP5 + ClipZip
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loosheesh View Post
I'm now a 1/4 way into An Infamous Army; so far I'm liking it more than I thought I would. The plan is to continue with it, plus one or two Hercule Poirots next or alongside.
My weekend reading included the completion of An Infamous Army and two Hercule Poirots: Murder in Mesopotamia and Cards on the Table.

I was prepared to not like An Infamous Army but that wasn't the case at all, and I think it has to do with the fact I'm not reading as many romances as I used to. If I'd read this last year I'd probably have been ticked off that a huge portion of the book is dedicated to a detailed description of the Battle of Waterloo.

One of the books on my next up list is The Gauguin Connection, which Hampshire Nanny mentioned upthread. I might start it tonight if I don't watch an episode of Murdoch Mysteries
Loosheesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 02:43 AM   #21019
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (first gen), Kobo Aura HD
I Am Pilgrim by Terry Hayes
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 08:56 AM   #21020
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
Well, I fancied a bit of undemanding space action after my recent run of fantasy, so I started Crown of Slaves by David Weber and Eric Flint, the first in one of the Honor Harrington spin-offs. I've got to say I'm finding it mind-numbingly tedious so far, as lots of people have talked a lot. I hope it picks up soon, or it might irrevocably kill the whole series for me. I really enjoyed it up to War of Honor, which was a real slog, and if this turns out to be another one I'm not sure I'll be willing to face a third.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 10:35 AM   #21021
Adrian_I
Adrian_I began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook 623
Guns, Germs and Steel, by Jared Diamond

New and refreshing point of view on evolution and human history.
Adrian_I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:55 AM   #21022
alansplace
Wizard
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2, Kindle KB, Kindle PW 1 & 2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire 2
Cool Currently reading...

Quote:
I really liked Generation 18. It was an interesting story set in a future time period and in an unusual (to me) location. It's late in the 21st Century (my guess is about 2070) in Melbourne, Australia. Also there are interesting characters and they live in an interesting society not that different than our western society of today. There are only 3 books so far in this series, which only leaves me 1 book to go so I really hope that there'll be more of them written and published.

Next, Going Dark (Silo 49 #1) by Ann Christy. Hugh Howey talks in the below quote about this book on his web site, including links to it on Amazon.
Quote:
Silo 49: Going Dark (Ann Chsilo49risty) silo49

Silo 49 has never had it easy and things have just gotten a whole lot worse. Graham, the head of IT, has done many unsavory things in his life but everyone has a line they won’t cross. He just found his. With only his best friend, Wallis and a dying electrician, Grace, to stand by him, he is left with one clear and final choice. Does he do what is right or what the rules say he should? It is a race against time for the trio against the impersonal might of Silo One. Their only choice? Going Dark.
Quote:
Oops! I forgot to mention that Going Dark is currently a freebie on Amazon.
Going Dark was a treat!

Now back to another October Daye story, An Artificial Night (October Daye #3) by Seanan McGuire!

alansplace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:57 PM   #21023
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color / Nook HD+
I decided to reread the first six RCN/Lt. Leary books by David Drake before reading the last four. This is a well written series and is very enjoyable. I highly recommend the series. I thought I had bought the four earlier, but I had missed number nine The Road of Danger. I popped over to Baen and bought it. These had been on my TBR for a while.

I just finished Sentinels of Fire by P. T. Deutermann. This is a historical WWII fiction book. It concerns a Gearing Class Destroyer on the Radar Picket Line at Okinawa.They served as an early warning of inbound Kamikazes. These ships were isolated and easy targets for the Japanese. The book really showed how the men faced fear and death and still did their jobs. The book is historically accurate and I highly recommend it. I give it five stars.
I so enjoyed it I am now rereading P T Deutermann's Pacific Glory novel. This is also highly recommended and concerns the Battle of Samar Island. Where The small Task Force Taffy 3 fought off and forced the retreat of the might of the Japanese Navy, including the Battle Ship Yamato. I has been cited by historians as one of the greatest military mismatches in naval history.
Also highly recommended.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:21 PM   #21024
bfisher
Guru
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
Wow, i hadn't known Deutermann had a new Pacific War book out - definitely going on my TBR. Thanks so much.

Agreed, RCN Lt. Leary/Mundy is a great series. Reread time, perhaps
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:41 AM   #21025
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color / Nook HD+
His last three books have been WWII Historical Fiction. I hope he continues to write in this genre.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote