Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-06-2010, 01:28 AM   #1
thymaster
Zealot
thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: Kobo Aura Edition 2
Best eBook Store

I'm getting a Sony Reader but I don't like their bookstore because their selection is bad and the website looks unattractive. What do you think is the best eBook store?
thymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 01:48 AM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Well for the Sony you'll want Adobe DRM'd ePub (unless you're willing to deDRM and convert then you can hit Amazon and B&N) so I'd say Books On Board and Kobo (even though their search still isn't great). That's for books from the big pubs anyway.

You can also get DRM free ePub (and other formats) from Webscription, Fictionwise (their Multiformat line) and Smashwords as well as direct from most small pubs.

For public domain (some creative commons) here at Mobile Read, Feedbooks, Manybooks, Munseys, and of course Project Gutenberg.

It really depends on what you like to read.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2010, 02:34 AM   #3
dapriuk
Enthusiast
dapriuk doesn't litterdapriuk doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505, Lenovo X61 tablet PC, Advent Vega Android tablet
Gutenberg definitely, Mobile Read, Baen etc - ones that support open formats and don't impose DRM.
dapriuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 02:53 AM   #4
drmaxx
Connoisseur
drmaxx will blow your mind, man!drmaxx will blow your mind, man!drmaxx will blow your mind, man!drmaxx will blow your mind, man!drmaxx will blow your mind, man!drmaxx will blow your mind, man!drmaxx will blow your mind, man!drmaxx will blow your mind, man!drmaxx will blow your mind, man!drmaxx will blow your mind, man!drmaxx will blow your mind, man!

Device: none
If you are looking to get main-stream book then - to be honest - there is not many attractive sites out there. Amazon is certainly one of the best.

I mainly use kobobooks for my purchases. I know DRM and all that annoying stuff. But for many books this is currently the least painful way to go. Kobo has a decent selection of main-stream books - if you have an American IP address or credit card!

If you mainly interested in simply reading interesting stuff, then the other suggestions (Gutenberg, ...) are great.
drmaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 04:00 AM   #5
Georgiegirl2012
Connoisseur
Georgiegirl2012 is a jewel in the roughGeorgiegirl2012 is a jewel in the roughGeorgiegirl2012 is a jewel in the roughGeorgiegirl2012 is a jewel in the roughGeorgiegirl2012 is a jewel in the roughGeorgiegirl2012 is a jewel in the roughGeorgiegirl2012 is a jewel in the roughGeorgiegirl2012 is a jewel in the roughGeorgiegirl2012 is a jewel in the roughGeorgiegirl2012 is a jewel in the roughGeorgiegirl2012 is a jewel in the rough

Device: Sony touch prs600
As somebody with a Sony Reader, outside the USA, who cannot purchase from the Sony store, both Kobo and Books on Board automatically display their prices in sterling which is a pleasant surprise.

EDIT - as far as I am aware Amazon only sell e-books in the format which is readable by the Kindle.

Last edited by Georgiegirl2012; 09-06-2010 at 04:02 AM.
Georgiegirl2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2010, 04:21 AM   #6
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
I believe that Kobo reads your IP address, identifies the country you are in, and then you sign up with your country specific address and cc info. It is against the TOS to fake an address, btw. The site displays only the books available in your country and country specific pricing. I know when I buy from kobobooks.com in Canada, I easily use a Canadian credit card, a Canadian IP address, and registered with a Canadian address. The selection is very good, and getting better every day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmaxx View Post
Kobo has a decent selection of main-stream books - if you have an American IP address or credit card!
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 05:34 AM   #7
HarleyB
Fanatic
HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (RIP), iPad, iPhone 4, Kobo Touch x2, Kobo Glo
Kobobooks.com works fine in Australia as well. Prices are in Aussie dollars and a relatively good selection of books.

One of the bonuses is that if a book is not available in Australia because of Geographic Restrictions you won't be able to find it on the site.
IMO this is much better than showing the book and then at the last minute after you have entered all your details and are ready to purchase you get some lame message about it not being available in certain countries.
I refuse to shop on those sites any more as it is just too frustrating.
HarleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 07:12 AM   #8
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Also, when you buy from Kobo, the book automatically downloads to your iPhone account once you've set one up with them. I particularly like that as that way, I've always got my books at hand.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 07:41 AM   #9
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
WH Smiths and the book depository are also good sites. They have a good selection at reasonable prices.

Waterstones have a good selection but their prices are very high.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 08:43 AM   #10
eric11210
Addict
eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-600
I'd say to try the search engines. The interface is annoying at some web sites, but ultimately, because you have a Sony instead of the Kindle or Nook, you can pretty much shop anywhere, so try www.inkmesh.com. You can browse by subject and you can search by title, author or keyword. It will show you everywhere the best prices are. Just ignore results from Amazon or B&N (since they will not work with your reader without first stripping DRM) and choose the best price. I find it's rarely the Sony store anyway and I agree, their interface sucks.

Eric
eric11210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 06:07 PM   #11
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
There is also Borders, Ezread, Fictionwise, Books on Board, Books a Million, Ebooks.com.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 10:18 PM   #12
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
You can also see if your public library has ebooks for lending.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 01:20 PM   #13
clintbradford
Older ... slower ...
clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo, Kindles 2/3/Keyboard/Fire/Fire HD, HDX.
I am placing my money with the company that publicly declared they desired to offer every book in print to us as eBooks. They have the capability to accomplish that lofty goal. And they have excellent eReader devices that the rest of the industry envies.

That company, of course, is Amazon.com.
clintbradford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 01:32 PM   #14
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
@Clint. The OP bought a Sony and appears to be looking for the best on-line store for use with that device. Not that the thread has to keep that focus, of course, but it was what started the discussion.

I totally grok your delight with Amazon and the Kindle. It's not my device/format of choice, but I can understand why it might be the first choice of a whole lot of people.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 04:28 PM   #15
frquixote
Addict
frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KOBO Libra 2, Kindle PW3, Samsung 8A Tablet, Samsung S10e Phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanghaichica View Post
Waterstones have a good selection but their prices are very high.
Waterstones also appears to have many ePub formatted books that aren't available in the US (Like Bernard Cromwell's Warlord trilogy and Sean Heaney's translation of Beowulf, just to name two).

I've set up an online account there, but it appears one must have their own in-store credit card. Has anyone figured out how to use a Visa or American Express card?
frquixote is offline   Reply With Quote