Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-14-2009, 08:17 PM   #1
kichigai
kichigai began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500
Question Wikipedia for the Reader

The Wikipedia is a wonderful source, but sometimes its articles are a bit long for my taste, and I don't want to read them on my laptop. I'd much rather read them on my Reader, but I haven't quite found the best way to convert articles for the Reader.

I've done some searching, and all I've really found are people who want to fit the entire Wikipedia onto their Reader. While that would be totally awesome, it's not what I want to do. I just want to take longer articles and convert them for reading on my Reader.

I've tried going to the Printable version and printing out to a PDF with the page dimensions set as the screen size of the Reader, but with this solution I don't get intra-article bookmarks (or a table of contents), and images aren't always treated right. Also, this method makes resizing the text impossible. Not a problem for me, but I'm thinking in more general terms.

I've tried taking the Printable version as an HTML document and using Calibre to convert it to an LRF, but somehow it never grabs the table of contents. However, this is seems to be one of the better options.

I'm wondering if anyone else has done something like this? If someone has developed a tool for this use, or just thoughts and opinions.
kichigai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 08:21 PM   #2
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
I save to HTML, open the files in Atlantis Word Processor (free trial version, $30 for full app) and then use Atlantis's Save As E-book option to make EPUB files.

If you have the headings you want in the TOC set up as Heading Styles, it creates the TOC for you.

Hope that helps.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-15-2009, 12:13 AM   #3
kichigai
kichigai began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by doreenjoy View Post
I save to HTML, open the files in Atlantis Word Processor (free trial version, $30 for full app) and then use Atlantis's Save As E-book option to make EPUB files.

If you have the headings you want in the TOC set up as Heading Styles, it creates the TOC for you.

Hope that helps.
Actually it doesn't. Atlantis is Windows-only, I'm using a Mac. And it feels a little weird to be paying for software to read free content. With all the PDF-decompilers out there, LRF-constructors, HTML assemblers and debuggers, there isn't one tool that someone slapped together in Python to do this? ...for free?

Also, ePub doesn't help me too much, since I have a PRS-500, not a 505, so I'd need to go through another format conversion.

Last edited by kichigai; 08-15-2009 at 12:16 AM. Reason: One more thing...
kichigai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 02:38 AM   #4
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
Well, good luck.

In the future it would help if you specified your OS and device so people didn't spend time giving instructions that wouldn't work for you.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 08:45 AM   #5
dgillette.rm
Connoisseur
dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: sony
I have not tried it, but there are a couple of ebook sounding save as options in NeoOffice. One is a pdb format which may or may not be mobi. The other is an xml format which is probably not epub, but might be. In case you do not know, NeoOffice is a port of OpenOffice to the native Apple GUI. It is free.
dgillette.rm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-15-2009, 09:20 AM   #6
readx
Connoisseur
readx 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.readx 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.readx 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.readx 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.readx 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.readx 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.readx 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.readx 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.readx 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.readx 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.readx 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.

Device: Cybook Gen3
I convert the wiki text this with a little java applet called wiki2xhtml and use caliber after that.
Works great with a minimum of effort
readx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
prs-500, wikipedia