Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-04-2009, 07:11 AM   #1
Franbo
Franbo began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Reader Authorization Failure

Hi All,

I have recently acquired a new PC and am trying to get it working with my PRS-505 (it worked fine on my previous PC) but alas am seeing the following error message when syncronising:

"This eBook cannot be transferred because the Reader is authorized to another user."

I have checked the forums but alas cannot find a solution. So; here is some information that might be relevant:

(1) Location: UK
(2) DRM eBooks acquired from Waterstones
(3) Never logged on to Sony Store (not actively anyway - no idea if something automatic happens in the background)
(4) Using Windows Vista 64
(5) Installed Reader using manual installation instructions in forum sticky (including the registry PIM.dll entry)
(6) Adobe Digital Editions correctly installed and registered
(7) DRM books correctly loaded into Adobe Digital Editions (I can read them there)
(8) DRM Books added to eBook Library using "Import Files" (as per previous PC)
(9) DRM Books able to be read in eBook Library
(10) Tried Fromat Internal Memory
(11) Tried Hard Reset

When I try and synchronise the reeader with the library it seems to synchronise the non-DRM books correctly but shows the message:

"This eBook cannot be transferred because the Reader is authorized to another user."

after a while. The status on the eBook Library shows:

Completed - transferred 190 of 206 files

Can anyone help?

Franbo
Franbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 08:19 AM   #2
Franbo
Franbo began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
I managed to get a Eureka moment and the problem appears to be solved.

It seems that the error message I was receiving was misleading and that the problem was due to Adobe Digital Editions not recognising/showing the PRS-505 in the bookshelf list rather than user licence issues.

I perused the manual installation thread (top of forum sticky) in more detail and managed to resolve the problem by following the suggestions from mrpeteguy.

Namely:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeteyguy View Post
I think I might have found a way to get Digital Editions to work on Vista x64. I installed the Reader software using the extraction method to Program Files (x86)\Sony. Then, using the very helpful linked solution in post 4 as a guide, I added the registry key that the zip files contains, only I added them using Regedit by myself.

But, instead of putting the registry key in at HKLM\Software\Sony Corporation, I put it in at HKLM\Software\Wow6432Node\Sony Corporation. As soon as I started Adobe Digital Editions, it detected my reader, and I could transfer to it.

I think this is the right spot because of the way Windows x64 provides access to the registry for 32 bit programs.

To put it simply, at HKLM\Software\Wow6432Node\Sony Corporation\PRS, I put the following string value:
C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Sony\\Reader\\Data\\bin\\

Hope this helps someone!
Huzzah! The books now synchronise correctly.

... and to repeat the point: Hope it helps someone.

Franbo

Last edited by Franbo; 05-04-2009 at 09:41 AM.
Franbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert