Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-31-2013, 06:35 PM   #46
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
If you can get them on Project Gutenberg, maybe you should just rely on them to store your books for you.

Classics are just as easy to get now as they were when you first got them...
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 06:49 PM   #47
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Also, if you download classics from MobileRead, the formatting often improves over time and new versions are uploaded.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-31-2013, 06:56 PM   #48
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've heard that, yes...

Project Gutenberg also gets updated versions, but only when someone bothers to submit it -- I believe the MR downloads are constantly fixed by the pedantic creators, who have perhaps a little more time on their hands than the Project Gutenberg crowd??

Still, Gutenberg has a much bigger selection.
Old 05-31-2013, 08:56 PM   #49
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quality or quantity? That is the question.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 09:00 PM   #50
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Yes, it is possible to have too many eBooks. You can only read so many books. So take the number of books you'll be able to read before you die and any over that number is too many.

Last edited by JSWolf; 05-31-2013 at 09:03 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-01-2013, 06:09 AM   #51
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Yes, it is possible to have too many eBooks. You can only read so many books. So take the number of books you'll be able to read before you die and any over that number is too many.
Some of us never know from book to book what they want to read. And our reading tastes can change over the years. Having more than I can read in my lifetime leaves room for backups for those changes. Also I have not figured out how long my lifespan is going to be. That tends to make it difficult to figure out how many books I will be able to read in said lifetime.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 11:31 PM   #52
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I believe the MR downloads are constantly fixed by the pedantic creators, who have perhaps a little more time on their hands than the Project Gutenberg crowd??

No, not more time, but more dedication. The MR formatters are true artists, not bored pedants.
Old 06-02-2013, 12:19 AM   #53
piperclassique
A garbling groftpot
piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis, Voyage, Kobo mini, Samsung tablet, phones, whatever.
BookCat, what makes you think Gutenberg volunteers are bored pedants?
piperclassique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 07:44 PM   #54
BookCat
C L J

piperclassique, I wasn't referring to PG in any way, just the formatters of the MR ebooks. I felt that eschwartz had, maybe inadvertently, insulted them.
Old 06-02-2013, 08:40 PM   #55
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
Quality or quantity? That is the question.
Apache
You may not have a choice.
Old 06-02-2013, 08:41 PM   #56
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
piperclassique, I wasn't referring to PG in any way, just the formatters of the MR ebooks. I felt that eschwartz had, maybe inadvertently, insulted them.
Sorry -- I meant it with the greatest respect. They are true heroes.
Old 06-03-2013, 05:05 AM   #57
Jen_Smith
Nameless Being

After the initial phase of 'download everything' when I got my first proper ereader a few years ago, I use the following criteria:

1. Is it something that is useful or something I am likely, in any circumstances, no matter how bizarre, to read? [If not, delete or do not download.]
2. Having downloaded it, have circumstances changed and I now am less likely to read it? If so, delete. [Some free books I download thinking I might like them, then read something else by the author and decide they're not for me. Hence delete.]

Everything in ePub format goes on my ereader - I use one with SD card expansion for that reason. I like knowing that all my books are available all the time.

A huge number of books is not necessarily a bad thing; it's like having a library at your fingertips. A to-be-read list is not a to-do list, it's a garden in which to wander at will. I will probably never get my list down to zero, but why should I want to? If the books were free in the first place, I'm not wasting money.

Regarding indexing, I use BookCollector (www.collectorz.com). Yes, you have to pay for it, but it was worth it for me. I have one index for paper and ebooks, and it also tracks my to-be-read list. Since there is an associated iPhone app, it also means I get to scroll through my catalogue with the speed of an LCD screen rather than waiting for even the fastest eInk.
Old 06-03-2013, 05:17 AM   #58
Geralt
Witcher
Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
It's not possible. I mean it's not like they'll spill over. HDD isn't a cup of water :3 Whats more, portable HDDs are getting to be cheaper and cheaper, so it's not such a big problem where to put all that data. The problem might be book prices however
But that's why we have Gutenberg and MobileRead

Anyway, having a lot isn't about reading them all, but having a varied choice.
Geralt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 05:26 AM   #59
alanHd
Addict
alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Ipod Touch, Ipad Air
Rather than go to the expense of buying a 64g flash drive I have decided to split my library. Everything I think I might read in the next year is staying on my Main flash drive and everything else is going to be backed up on my external hard drives..

I'm just wondering what the easiest way to split it would be.

I could use Calibre's save to disc function, then remove all available formats from Calibre so I would still have a record of everything in Calibre, then make a custom column to indicate they are on my external hard drive.

Does anyone have an easier way or any tips?
alanHd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 06:15 AM   #60
piperclassique
A garbling groftpot
piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis, Voyage, Kobo mini, Samsung tablet, phones, whatever.
Sorry guys, I misread you.
piperclassique is offline   Reply With Quote