Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-14-2013, 06:22 AM   #1
alanHd
Addict
alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Ipod Touch, Ipad Air
Is it possible to have too many ebooks.

When i first got my kindle i trawled the internet for free ebooks, now i have so many free books i feel like i have too many.

I love to read but no way am i going to get through them all in my lifetime and also i have so much choice it gets harder to choose what to read next.

Should i cull my library, or save them just incase.
alanHd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 07:59 AM   #2
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
I'd dump all of them into a folder somewhere on your hard drive, and remove them from Calibre. If you're looking for something new to read, then look in that pile first, and if you find something you like, import it into Calibre. I do it this way: every book I've got in Calibre has been read, or will certainly be read. All the rest is stored somewhere else, which is basically a huge bunch of classics of which I don't know if I will ever read (all of) them.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-14-2013, 08:05 AM   #3
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
It's not possible to have too many books, whether e or p. My current ebook TBR pile has about 3,000 ebooks and I add to it regularly. As what I want to read changes, I've got the change covered.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 08:32 AM   #4
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
No. You can create separate libraries in Calibre to help you sort what you want to read soon from the hordes of other books. Just don't try to put them all on your ereader.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 08:32 AM   #5
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
If your collection is as hard to navigate as it is to find the book on the Internet and download it again, then you may have too many books.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-14-2013, 08:58 AM   #6
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Cull. Even eclutter is time-consuming and draining.

The classics will always be out there, so wait and download on demand. As for the rest of the freebies, the vast majority are fully priced at best and just so much junk. Ask yourself, "Would I pay £2 for this?" If not, get rid of it.

You'll learn by culling; you'll have a much better sense of which ebooks you might actually read and it will help keep you from going overboard again. Especially since Amazon makes it so difficult to cut down on the accumulation! You won't want to go through that again.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 09:11 AM   #7
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
In general, I group my books in categories or collections. That helps me keep track of what I've read, what I want to read and what to read next. Depending on my moods, I might be actively reading 5 books at a time, so I have one list that are books that I am currently reading. I have other lists such as novels to be read, history books to be read, WW II books to be read, non-fiction to be read.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 09:16 AM   #8
alanHd
Addict
alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I really need to get my TBR list under control, the trouble is i come on here and there are so many great recomendations.

Even tho i read about 3 books a week (I have a long journey to work) my TBR list just keeps growing.
Old 04-14-2013, 11:08 AM   #9
faithbw
Guru
faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Mini 2
The majority of books on my e-reader are freebies I haven't looked at since I downloaded them. So yes, I think you can have too many e-books. I've begun to sort them using Calibre. I have to go through them one day and delete the ones where I lost interest in reading them.
faithbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 11:32 AM   #10
david_e
Seriously?
david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini, iWhatever
No. Impossible.
david_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 11:38 AM   #11
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
I have about 20,000 books that I downloaded from Project Gutenberg. There's no clutter, they sit neatly on some unused space on my hard drive. It may be possible to have too many books on your e-reader. On my Kindle I had around 700 books, I didn't delete anything. I had to reset it to factory settings, and since then I keep a lot less books on my Kindle. I'm comfortable removing them because I know I can get them back whenever I want.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 12:32 PM   #12
exscentric
Addict
exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle keyboard
NEEEEEEEVVVVVVVVVAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA! To download is to own, posses, and KEEP forevaaaaa! Well till the drive crashes.

I download anything that comes along, I might want it someday :-) That is why my garage looks kinda like a hardware store. Boxes and boxes of screws, nails, parts etc.
exscentric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 12:58 PM   #13
alanHd
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by exscentric View Post
NEEEEEEEVVVVVVVVVAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA! To download is to own, posses, and KEEP forevaaaaa! Well till the drive crashes.

I download anything that comes along, I might want it someday :-) That is why my garage looks kinda like a hardware store. Boxes and boxes of screws, nails, parts etc.
You know what they say about backing up everything to 3 seperate locations, i found out to my cost when my laptop hard drive went FUBAR and i hadnt backed it up.

i think I'm going to split my free books from my main Library and just keep my paid books in view at all times.

On a side note what do people use to manage there TBR list. do you use custom columns in Calibre or something like a spreadsheet
Old 04-14-2013, 01:53 PM   #14
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanHd View Post
On a side note what do people use to manage there TBR list. do you use custom columns in Calibre or something like a spreadsheet
I use the Reading List plugin to Calibre - which adds a tag to the books concerned. I also use Goodreads.
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 02:34 PM   #15
piperclassique
A garbling groftpot
piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis, Voyage, Kobo mini, Samsung tablet, phones, whatever.
Keep them. Storage is cheap and you never know, one day the internet may close for business.
piperclassique is offline   Reply With Quote