Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-16-2012, 02:51 PM   #1
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Question about Audible audio books

I took advantage of the free Amazon e-book/free Audible audio book promotion--my first use of Audible. I see that I'm allowed to burn files to CD, but the books would use up a LOT of CDs. I would like to burn mp3 files to a data CD instead--is there a workaround to allow me to do that? Thanks.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 04:04 PM   #2
ranasoft
ranasoft began at the beginning.

Device: none
Arrow Zombie

I liked World War Z, but not as good as Keene's Rising or Ellington's Zombie University, which as a short, but fun, read.
ranasoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2012, 04:08 PM   #3
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
To the best of my kowledge there is no way to burn an audible book directly to mp3. I wish there was!
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 04:34 PM   #4
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
You have to burn to CD and then convert to mp3, though there are programs that will create a virtual CD drive.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 04:53 PM   #5
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
You have to burn to CD and then convert to mp3, though there are programs that will create a virtual CD drive.
Could I burn to a CD-RW and then convert to mp3s? I don't want to waste a ton of CDs.
Advert
Old 09-16-2012, 05:34 PM   #6
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Keep in mind you can only burn to CD once for each book. If you have trouble creating the CD for any reason, you might be able to contact customer service, but otherwise, it's a one-shot deal.

Audible's Help recommends not using CD-RW, but the reason it gives is only because not all CD players will play CD-RW. It doesn't say the quality is affected for any reason.

EDIT: Hmmm. The page on burning to CD using iTunes DOES say that CD-RW isn't recommended for quality as well as playback issues. You'll have to decide, but my point in mentioning the one-time-only rule is that you can't experiment and then decide to try the other way. If you want to experiment, download one of the freebies that you don't care about!

Last edited by FizzyWater; 09-16-2012 at 05:37 PM.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 05:38 PM   #7
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

I found a box of CD-RW discs I didn't know I had, so I am trying it right now. But what a hassle!
Old 09-16-2012, 06:55 PM   #8
DuaneAA
Connoisseur
DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 & Kindle Fire HDX
The 'burn-to-audio CD' option is a major pain and I'm sure it is intentional. I went that route for the first few books I got from audible. Unfortunately, my PC is on the floor in a dark corner behind my couch and the CD drive is annoying to reach. I had this book I was trying to download that was like 20 CDs long and I could never get beyond 7-8 CDs without doing something stupid like putting the blank CD in upside-down. Then you had start all over from the beginning at CD number 1. After trying at least three times and wasting at least 25 CDs without being successful, I finally gave up. That's when I download Audible's app for my smartphone and found true bliss.

I mostly listen to audiobooks in the car and my car has a jack I can plug my phone into. My phone also connects to my car via bluetooth, but I have always used the wired connection for books because I read somewhere making extended use of the bluetooth really drains your phone's battery. Anyway I love the audible app in my car. Even though I don't directly use the bluetooth for listening to books, the app is smart enough to register when the bluetooth disconnects from my car when I turn the car off and automatically stops the book so you can pick up from the same place the next time you get into the car.

Anyway, if you have a smartphone, I recommend giving their app a try as alternative to burning CDs.

Duane
DuaneAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 08:04 PM   #9
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
I digitize LPs, clean up the noise, and keep them as digital files and CD-Rs. My first step is always to burn the first generation recording to a CD-RW. Not all audio CD players can play a CD-RW, but I've never met a computer CD drive that had a problem with them. When burning a CD-RW in a computer drive it's a good idea to burn it as slowly as possible.

As far as I can tell, the quality issue would be in playing back a CD-RW on audio equipment that can only marginally read it. For a computer, even if it takes a few passes to get a correct copy, you should be good.

The only other caveat I would make is that CD-RWs are not a good option for long term storage.

I agree that if I were going to do this, I'd use a "virtual CD drive." It would also have the benefit of being much faster.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 08:07 PM   #10
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Another option you might explore is getting a digital recorder that can be "patched in" to the earphone jack on your computer. Record the book. Use a USB connection to transfer the file back to the computer -- or remove the SD card and read the file off it. In this case, make sure your recorder has a USB port or a removable SD card -- the very cheapest ones don't.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 08:36 PM   #11
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
There is software that will convert Audible files to mp3 but does involve stripping DRM, so you have to decide how comfortable you are with that. Try a little Google search.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 08:53 PM   #12
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

I hate and despise Audible.

The shortest book of the freebies was Alice in Wonderland, just under 3 hours, so that's what I was working with. The CD-RW discs I used initially were old, and apparently had deteriorated, because I got blank tracks and static for the most part. So I tried another CD-RW--also old, but a different brand. Despite the only-one-burn rule, I did not have any problem recording for a second time--for the first disc. However, I can't continue and record a second disc of the next 80 minutes--now it's blocked because I'm only allowed one burn. I sent an angry e-mail to Audible, because how ridiculous is it to get just one shot at this?

The CD-RW disc that burned properly did convert to mp3 OK, so that's good. But this whole process is so silly; why make me go through two steps to get to the mp3 file instead of just letting me convert directly to an mp3? Do the Audible people just want to annoy me, or do they have a vested interest in making me buy blank discs? I don't get it.

Cromag, my home stereo plays mp3 files from CDs; I want to have one CD per book, just for convenience. So my plan is to record to the CD-RWs, convert the tracks to mp3s, burn the mp3s to CD-R, and reuse the CD-RWs for the next book.

And I do hate Audible.

P.S. I'm also really annoyed that I had to go and install iTunes on my computer for this process. iJunk is against my principles!

Last edited by Catlady; 09-16-2012 at 08:56 PM.
Old 09-16-2012, 11:39 PM   #13
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Use a virtual CD program; it should be *much* faster and more reliable than using CD-RWs, which have a limited life and can only be reused a limited number of times as well.

I don't understand why you had to install iTunes??
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 12:29 AM   #14
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew H. View Post
Use a virtual CD program; it should be *much* faster and more reliable than using CD-RWs, which have a limited life and can only be reused a limited number of times as well.

I don't understand why you had to install iTunes??
I never heard of a virtual CD program until such a thing was mentioned in this thread.

The info at Audible says that to burn a CD, you need to use either certain versions of Nero or iTunes.
Old 09-17-2012, 12:59 AM   #15
AJ Starr
Guru
AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PEZ, Color Libre, 2@Sony T1, Onyx i62HD
I won't touch Audible. I use AudioBookStand.com and buy my audio books in MP3 format. I get the disk that I then have for backup, and I transfer to my MP3 players as many times as I want...no DRM on MP3's.

AJ

However, if you're a techie, there is a way to play the audio file while recording it with Audacity and then saving it as an MP3.
AJ Starr is offline   Reply With Quote