Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-07-2012, 04:26 PM   #1
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi
Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Touch, Lenovo X61, Samsung Galaxy Note with Aldiko reader app
Kobo Touch ID numbers and firmware updates

On the "Kobo Touch future firmware feature request thread", a few of us have been wondering if there is a connection between device IDs and the well-known problems some have had updating since firmware update 2.0.0 came out. Obviously, to find this out we need some information from you good folks, in the form of:

a) your device ID and version number,

b) an indication of the country you bought the Touch and where you did the update(s),

c) whether you did it via Kobo Desktop, wifi, or by downloading and installing yourself, and

d) whether you have had any difficulties or changes in device behaviour not announced by Kobo as part of the updates since 2.0.0., and, if you did, what they were/are. These include, but are not limited to, failed updates, slow page turns, displaying the wrong book cover ... the list is quite long!

e) In addition, if you know the firmware version it came with from the factory that would be useful.

f) However, reports of no problems are as useful, so if you have been lucky, please let us know, too!

If you would like to help us with this bit of research, the ways of finding the ID/version numbers are:

For Windows users

How to get this info without Calibre on Windows (thanks to murg for this):

1) plug the Touch into the USB cable and connect.
2) bring up the Device Manager
2a) Windows 7 : Start/Control Panel/Device Manager
2b) Windows XP : Start/Control Panel/System/<one one of the tabs> (this is from memory)
3) under Disk Drives, find Kobo eReader USB Device
4) right click on this and select Properties.
5) select Details tab.
6) change Property dropdown to Device Instance Path
7) the value contains the Revision
8) change Property dropdown to Parent
9) the value contains the PID
10) note that you also get the Touch's serial number

device instance path: USBSTOR\DISK&VEN_KOBO&PROD_EREADER&REV_YYYY\KG1111111111B&0
parent: USB\VID_2237&PID_XXXX\KG1111111111B

Alternatives steps:
3) the Touch will also show up under Universal Serial Bus Controllers as USB Mass Storage Device.
Note: There may be more than one USB Mass Storage Device.
6) change Property dropdown to Hardware IDs
7) the value contains the PID and revision
skip 8) 9) and 10)

Hardware Ids: USB\VID_2237&PID_XXXX&REV_YYYY

With Calibre (thanks to davidfor for this):

1. Open Calibre.

2. In the top bar, click on Preferences.

3. Click on Miscellaneous (middle of the bottom row).

4. On the screen that comes up, locate the "Debug device detection" button, but don't press it yet. Connect the KT with a usb cable, and then allow it to connect to the computer.

5. Now, timing is a bit tricky. If you have autorun turned on, click the Debug button just after the box (or boxes if you have an SD card) have opened. If not, probably counting slowly to five would do it.

6. What you should see is a box that says "Getting debug information, please wait ...", and then produces a list of all the usb devices connected to your computer. Run down the list until you find "Looking for devices..." The line below will look like:
u'usb\\vid_2237&pid_XXXX&rev_YYYY' (italics will be numbers)

Followed by:
Detected possible device KoboTouch

The device ID/version are the two four-digit numbers after "pid" (those in italics above).

If you are Windows user, and don't have Calibre, please see murg's post (#6) below.

For Mac users (thanks to Mrs_Often for this):

Make sure your Kobo Touch is attached to your Mac, and mounted on the Desktop.
1. Click on the apple to the top left of the menu bar
- Click "About this Mac" at the top of the menu that opened
2. A small window with superficial information about your Mac will open
- Click the button down the bottom that says "More info…"
3. Skip this step if you're on 10.6.x, for 10.7.x and later:
- Hit the "System Report…" button on the bottom left
4. A larger window with detailed information is now open
- In the left column, click "USB" under "Hardware"
- In the top frame of the window, you'll see the USB Device Tree. From that tree, find and click "eReader" or "Kobo" or whatever yours is named by your Mac.
- In the bottom frame of the window, you'll see all sorts of information about your Kobo Touch
- Behind "Product ID" you'll see something like 0x4163. The four digits after the x is what you want, plus:
- Behind "Version" you'll see something like 3.26. This is the second number you want, without the decimal point, so in my case: 326.

For Linux users: (Thanks to RJCroy for this):

1) Open a terminal
2) type the command 'lsusb -v'

This will give details of all the USB devices connected. One will be the Kobo. It will look something like:

Bus 002 Device 005: ID 2237:4163 Kobo Inc.
Couldn't open device, some information will be missing
Device Descriptor:
bLength 18
bDescriptorType 1
bcdUSB 2.00
bDeviceClass 0 (Defined at Interface level)
bDeviceSubClass 0
bDeviceProtocol 0
bMaxPacketSize0 64
idVendor 0x2237 Kobo Inc.
idProduct 0x4163 [This is the device ID]
bcdDevice 3.26 [This is the version number]

If you could spend a few minutes to do this, the information would be really useful, and I'll post updates as we get the information.

Last edited by Peakcrew; 09-09-2012 at 07:08 AM. Reason: Added request for factory firmware, and pointed Windows users to murg's post below
Peakcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 06:11 PM   #2
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Okay, I'll start this off

a) PID: 4163 rev: 326

b) I bought my Touch in the Netherlands, but before it was officially released in the Netherlands. I think my supplier might have got it from Germany, but I'm not sure.

c) I've always done all my regular/official updates via Wifi. I've never done any via Desktop, except for the very first (which was 1.9.14). I updated to the unofficial/Japanese 2.0.2 manually (copying the unzipped files to .kobo), and after that to 2.1.1 the same way

d) I have had no troubles at all with any of the updates, except from 2.0.2 to 2.1.1 where the first try my Kobo started up with 2.0.0 for some reason. Putting 2.1.1 on top of that went fine. Yes, 2.0.0 gave me horribly slow page turns and wrong book covers and all the rest of the reported issues, which is why I escaped to 2.0.2 (which didn't help much) and then to 2.1.1 (which is almost perfect).

e) Yep I'm lucky

P.S. And I use a Mac... maybe that's relevant?

Last edited by Mrs_Often; 09-07-2012 at 06:13 PM. Reason: added P.S.
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2012, 06:43 PM   #3
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi
Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
Okay, I'll start this off
Hah - usurping my prerogative! (Phone call at the wrong time ...)

a) My device ID is 4163 rev_0110

b) Bought and updated in the UK, but I bought the KT from ebay so I can't say where it originally came from, though all the packaging was in English.

c) It came with 1.9.12 installed. First update to 2.0.0 was by Kobo Desktop, then to 2.1.1 by download and direct install.

d) No problems with updating either time. Both processes very quick (less than five minutes). Page turns are a little slower than before, but the worst is the amount of time it takes to open the Annotations window, and the text-selector that wanders all over the screen (same in both 2.x.x versions). I haven't had the wrong book-cover problem.

I only have sideloaded epubs on my Touch at the moment, stored on the internal memory, though there is an SD card (empty at the moment) installed.
All the updating/loading has been done on WinXP so far. Calibre used for putting books on.
Old 09-07-2012, 07:10 PM   #4
GvilleBridge
Connoisseur
GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Tablet
a) Windows recognizes my KT but Calibre, even in debug mode, doesn't, so it doesn't report device ID and version number. Is device ID and version no. available elsewhere?

b) I bought the KT at a Borders in California, and likewise have updated here.

c) I have updated via Kobo Desktop on a PC. I'm still on 2.0.0, according to the desktop app.

d) Other than not being recognized by Calibre, which really inhibits sideloading of ebooks, my KT with 2.0.0 is mostly slower in most ways (page turns, going home, etc.) than previous firmware versions.
GvilleBridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 07:30 PM   #5
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi

Quote:
Originally Posted by GvilleBridge View Post
a) Windows recognizes my KT but Calibre, even in debug mode, doesn't, so it doesn't report device ID and version number. Is device ID and version no. available elsewhere?
Thanks for that. As yet, some of the best minds on these threads (not referring to me, I hasten to add!) have failed to come up with another method of getting that information yet.

Which version of Calibre are you using, and do you get as far as the warning about it not recognising the KT and dreadful things will happen if you continue?
Advert
Old 09-07-2012, 08:23 PM   #6
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
How to get this info without Calibre on Windows:

1) plug the Touch into the USB cable and connect.
2) bring up the Device Manager
2a) Windows 7 : Start/Control Panel/Device Manager
2b) Windows XP : Start/Control Panel/System/<one one of the tabs> (this is from memory)
3) under Disk Drives, find Kobo eReader USB Device
4) right click on this and select Properties.
5) select Details tab.
6) change Property dropdown to Device Instance Path
7) the value contains the Revision
8) change Property dropdown to Parent
9) the value contains the PID
10) note that you also get the Touch's serial number

device instance path: USBSTOR\DISK&VEN_KOBO&PROD_EREADER&REV_0326\KG1111111111B&0
parent: USB\VID_2237&PID_4163\KG1111111111B

Alternatives steps:
3) the Touch will also show up under Universal Serial Bus Controllers as USB Mass Storage Device.
Note: There may be more than one USB Mass Storage Device.
6) change Property dropdown to Hardware IDs
7) the value contains the PID and revision
skip 8) 9) and 10)

Hardware Ids: USB\VID_2237&PID_4163&REV_0326

Obviously, my PID is 4163, and the revision 0326. Bought in Australia. Doesn't load the Japan versions.

I'd also like to see the Touch's Factory Reset firmware version, which is the version installed at the factory.

My Factory Reset firmware version is: 1.9.11

Last edited by murg; 09-07-2012 at 09:37 PM.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:54 PM   #7
GvilleBridge
Connoisseur
GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peakcrew View Post
Which version of Calibre are you using, and do you get as far as the warning about it not recognising the KT and dreadful things will happen if you continue?
I always update to the very latest Calibre, most recently last night, so it's 0.8.68, with the Kobo Device Interface plugin installed. Calibre first went bananas the very day that I installed firmware 2.0.0. Yes, I did get that warning--but what else was I supposed to do in mid-July but go with the firmware and hope that Calibre/KT might connect down the road?

For the moment I'm using Calibre only to manage my elibrary. I sideload using Windows Explorer from the Calibre library directly to the SD card on my KT.
Old 09-07-2012, 09:03 PM   #8
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Thanks for that. As yet, some of the best minds on these threads (not referring to me, I hasten to add!) have failed to come up with another method of getting that information yet.
I remember discussing this and I thought we had solved it. But, I suppose that was only for if calibre recognized the reader.

The following should get it:

- Open Device Manager
- Find the ereader. It should be under "Disk Drives".
- Right click on it and select Properties
- Go to the Details tab
- Here we are interested in two properties:
- Hardware Ids
- Parent

For every other device I have looked at, the Hardware Ids is enough. But, here, the first entry it has is "USBSTOR\DiskKobo___eReader______0326". Other devices show the vendor and product id as numbers rather than the name here. The Parent does show them. That plus the number at the end of the device id will give us the numerical version of the id.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:03 PM   #9
GvilleBridge
Connoisseur

Dunno how Murg finds out all that good stuff in the Windows sub-sub-basement, but I followed the directions and got this about my KT:
USBSTOR\DISK&VEN_KOBO&PROD_EREADER&REV_0326\KG3170 602871A&0
USB\VID_2237&PID_4163\KG3170602871A

So PID is 4163 and version no. is 0326, I guess.
Old 09-07-2012, 10:25 PM   #10
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by GvilleBridge View Post
USBSTOR\DISK&VEN_KOBO&PROD_EREADER&REV_0326\KG3170 602871A&0
USB\VID_2237&PID_4163\KG3170602871A

So PID is 4163 and version no. is 0326, I guess.
Those are the expected ids for a Kobo Touch, so calibre should be seeing it. Can you:

- Check the Kobo driver is enabled in the plugin list (Preferences, Plugins, find the driver. If it is light grey, it is disabled)

- Run the device detection and post all the output. Hopefully from this we can see what is going on.

Last edited by davidfor; 09-08-2012 at 06:15 AM. Reason: fixed quoting
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 12:05 AM   #11
GvilleBridge
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Those are the expected ids for a Kobo Touch, so calibre should be seeing it. Can you:

- Check the Kobo driver is enabled in the plugin list (Preferences, Plugins, find the driver. If it is light grey, it is disabled)

- Run the device detection and post all the output. Hopefully from this we can see what is going on.
OMG! Calibre sees my KT with 2.0.0. I checked Preferences/Plugins/Device Interface Plugins and found that the Very One I thought I had selected--the Kobo plugin--was grayed-out, so I reversed that. I assumed--haha, never assume!--that all the other device plugins were not installed/in effect, therefore I should select the Kobo plugin. Kind of strange default, having all the plugins being in effect by default, even for devices produced a few years ago in Tyrgyzstan.

OK, so now Calibre recognizes my KT. Tnx to all on this thread, esp. davidfor. I note that he posted the instructions for finding the PID etc. in Windows at exactly the same minute that I thanked murg for doing so. Tnx to all.
Old 09-08-2012, 04:12 AM   #12
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Hah - usurping my prerogative! (Phone call at the wrong time ...)
Well, I did try to wait, but I got impatient...

Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
[...]
Obviously, my PID is 4163, and the revision 0326. Bought in Australia. Doesn't load the Japan versions.
Oh, well, that's sort of disappointing... Murg has exactly the same device as I do and about a million more problems :s

What kind of something else could also be involved? Database version? I've done no updates with Desktop, have you, murg?
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 05:46 AM   #13
Anak
Fanatic
Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post

I'd also like to see the Touch's Factory Reset firmware version, which is the version installed at the factory.

My Factory Reset firmware version is: 1.9.11
PID: 4163, revision 0326.
Got the same PID and revision number but does load the Japanese versions perfectly. Bought in The Netherlands.
Current firmware: 2.1.1 (r42411, 08-24-2012, manually installed)
Serial number: KG31C

Last edited by Anak; 09-09-2012 at 10:59 AM.
Anak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 06:24 AM   #14
rjcroy
Bibliophile
rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kobo Touch
Linux

To get this information using a Linux PC"
1) Open a terminal
2) type the command 'lsusb -v'

This will give details of all the USB devices connected. One will be the Kobo.

Quote:
Bus 002 Device 005: ID 2237:4163 Kobo Inc.
Couldn't open device, some information will be missing
Device Descriptor:
bLength 18
bDescriptorType 1
bcdUSB 2.00
bDeviceClass 0 (Defined at Interface level)
bDeviceSubClass 0
bDeviceProtocol 0
bMaxPacketSize0 64
idVendor 0x2237 Kobo Inc.
idProduct 0x4163
bcdDevice 3.26
rjcroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 06:39 AM   #15
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
What kind of something else could also be involved? Database version? I've done no updates with Desktop, have you, murg?
My Touch will automatically update from Desktop 3.1 (to 2.0.0c), but is currently manually loaded to 2.0.0.c, as I tried many, many ways to get 2.1.1 loaded.

I think that the Revision number may be the onboard USB driver revision, which may not change much, which is why mostly everyone has the same revision. I have no knowledge to base this on, it is a complete guess.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote