Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 02-21-2012, 02:59 PM   #1
Daaf
Daaf began at the beginning.

Device: None
Bibliography Conversion Issues - ePub to Mobi

How can I create a bibliography in ePub so that it displays correctly when converted to mobi format?

I have created a bibliography with hanging indents and spaces between paragraphs in Sigil, where it displays correctly.

I then checked the formatting in Calibre, where it also shows up fine, before exporting the ePub file to mobi.

The converted mobi-file does not display any of the formatting correctly in either the Kindle Fire Previewer or the Kindle for PC (see image below):
a. spaces between some paragraphs (but not all) have been removed,
b. words have been broken up, and
c. the hanging indent has been removed.

I would appreciate some guidance on how to solve this problem.

Daaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 11:51 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
As I have suggested before, use Bluefire Reader for Android. Then when you have an ePub like this that doesn't convert well, you can just read the ePub.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-26-2012, 04:02 PM   #3
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daaf View Post
The converted mobi-file does not display any of the formatting correctly in either the Kindle Fire Previewer or the Kindle for PC (see image below):
a. spaces between some paragraphs (but not all) have been removed,
b. words have been broken up, and
c. the hanging indent has been removed.
You have several issues. Without seeing the CSS stylesheet, or the style settings in the HTML, its only a guess how you formatted the ePub. But...
a: Spaces between paragraphs need to be styled using margin-top in the style, preferably with the units being em (e.g. margin-top: 1em;)
b: I see no broken words in your screen shots. ??? Note that word spacing will vary if you style the paragraphs to be justified. To avoid uneven word spacing use text-align: right;.
c: MOBI supports neither negative indents nor padding. For successful conversion these must not be used in the ePub.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote